.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Big_wals

WKR
All you big game hunters need to read this article…your experience killing hundreds of animals with the 77 TMK must all be a fluke.

IMG_1246.jpegIMG_1247.jpegIMG_1248.jpegIMG_1249.jpegIMG_1250.jpeg

He makes some great points in favor of using a .223 loaded with 77 TMKs for elk. I’m not sure why he never mentioned it. Must’ve forgot, or it got edited out.

maybe it was Tahr or the pathfilms guy stated, but millions of kangaroos and red deer have been shot with a 55gr sp.

NZ deer cullers used 55gr sp .222 Sakos to abandon. And this was coming from decades of a 303 British. Why?

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Another data point for the 88 ELD m ala Kimber Montana 223AI this morning. Had a bull elk charge in from a kilometer out to a few cow calls, he’d run as hard as he could go for 200 m, stop and bugle, and charge again. Once he hit about 300 yards out he stopped bugling, or stopping. He was just running to the last spot he heard a cow call.
I was set up over my crossed hiking poles and hit a cow chirp on the diaphragm to stop him and he turned mostly quartered in to me and looking hard at 109 yards. Impact velocity would have been right at 2400fps.
Stuck an 88 ELD m into the leading edge of his onside shoulder and flicked in another round as he took three hops away from me. As he turned so he was quartering away I could see blood blowing out his mouth, and then he started to take a couple sideways steps and I laced him again (only because I find the shooting to be the fun part) and he flopped and died.
First shot to on the ground I estimate between 6 and 10 seconds.

First one exited at the last rib. Second one smashed 2 ribs going in and 1 on the offside at the back of the shoulder meat. I think that one exited, but it might be hung up in there.

A pair of 1.5” holes bored through everything. Lungs were littered with bone shard fragments around the wound cavity.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 149
Another data point for the 88 ELD m ala Kimber Montana 223AI this morning. Had a bull elk charge in from a kilometer out to a few cow calls, he’d run as hard as he could go for 200 m, stop and bugle, and charge again. Once he hit about 300 yards out he stopped bugling, or stopping. He was just running to the last spot he heard a cow call.
I was set up over my crossed hiking poles and hit a cow chirp on the diaphragm to stop him and he turned mostly quartered in to me and looking hard at 109 yards. Impact velocity would have been right at 2400fps.
Stuck an 88 ELD m into the leading edge of his onside shoulder and flicked in another round as he took three hops away from me. As he turned so he was quartering away I could see blood blowing out his mouth, and then he started to take a couple sideways steps and I laced him again (only because I find the shooting to be the fun part) and he flopped and died.

First one exited at the last rib. Second one smashed 2 ribs going in and 1 on the offside at the back of the shoulder meat. I think that one exited, but it might be hung up in there.

A pair of 1.5” holes bored through everything. Lungs were littered with bone shard fragments around the wound cavity.
Congratulations man! That’s awesome!

Thegman

WKR

That's great performance and a great story. Those 88s and the examples of the 80ELDX seem like they both do really well.

What's you muzzle velocity? Around 2575? (Assuming 2,400 @ 109 yards).

What's your barrel length and load with that?

My 7yo shot his first deer this morning via 223ai w/77tmk. He's been with me for multiple kills since he was 4 but wanted to shoot one this year. Was about 95yds, high shoulder shot and bang flop. Bullet exited and you could stick 3 fingers in it after I pulled the shoulder off. Lots of blood in the membranes between the shoulder and ribs, but not alot of wasted meat after it was cleaned off. Didn't see lungs since we quartered it up to carry it out., but I'm sure they were jellied.

Attachments

• 20240915_091834.jpg
    20240915_091834.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 99

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
That's great performance and a great story. Those 88s and the examples of the 80ELDX seem like they both do really well.

What's you muzzle velocity? Around 2575? (Assuming 2,400 @ 109 yards).

What's your barrel length and load with that?
2588 at the muzzle from this one. 22” barrel. This is the 3rd 7 twist 223AI I have had built (I needed one so I wouldn’t be without a 223AI when this one got sent off for the new barrel, and I built one for a buddy after he shot my other one) and this one is the slowest. All three get 25gr of LE over a cci450, all three have 22” pipes.
This one gets 2588, my 700 gets 2680, and his 700 does 2770.
Doesn’t much matter to me though, all 3 are minute of beercan at 700+ yards.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
maybe it was Tahr or the pathfilms guy stated, but millions of kangaroos and red deer have been shot with a 55gr sp.

NZ deer cullers used 55gr sp .222 Sakos to abandon. And this was coming from decades of a 303 British. Why?
I was a commercial hunter here. .222: deadly accurate with easily mountable 'scope and easy to shoot. Mainly neck and head shooting to minimise meat damage. Pocket full of ammo weighed nothing. Firing them didn't beat me up. The Sako Vixen was a beautiful light cult rifle (but I actually used a little BRNO).

Big_wals

WKR
Has anyone used the Hornady Black 75gr BTHP?
No experience with the Hornady Black specifically, but I’ve used the 75 bthp on pigs. It seems to work fine, but with the type of hunting we do shots are typically under 100 yards, usually under 50. I don’t think they would perform as good at lower impact velocity as an eldm or tmk.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else getting ftfs on AAC 75gr? I have ~1 in 30 that is a dud in my RSS. Fine for practice, but that's all. Just my lot # ?

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Figure this is the best place to ask due to the density of factory T3x 223s.

Anyone able to get a photo of their chamber? Interested if the factory chambers usually have any chamfer on them. I looked at a few factory 308, 7mm08, creedmoor barrels all had a small chamfer but there's no chamfer at all on my factory 223 and it's a pain in the ass for feeding factory rounds.