.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

IDguy

FNG
Apparently if you post a link in a post a mod has to approve it, so post with link to my Staball Match testing arriving in...idk, some time?

Anyway, since that might take a while, here is the most pertinent post from that linked thread, but the thread itself is worth a read for the good info in it.

These results were achieved with Staball Match and Hornady 75gr BTHP out of a WOA 18" SPR barrel. I believe the rifle was running a standard spring with H2 buffer. No AGB was used. 5 round averages over a magnetospeed chrono. Rounds were soaked at that temp for a duration of time, so even thermal distribution in the round was achieved. Temperature was measured with a Fluke laser thermometer.

Frozen rounds
5 deg F
2794 fps

Room temp rounds
60 deg F
2786 fps

Heated rounds
150 deg F
2860 fps

Looks like this powder is a winner, gents.

Fast, temp stable to a high degree, meters well, USA made, so availability should be good, and reasonably priced considering the current market.

Hodgdon, get ready to make a bunch of this stuff because you will sell all of it.

I don't have any specific load data, but I wanted to take my childhood break over Rossi 223 out to the woods as a way to remember the good old days.

Long story short, stalked up on this boar hog, got charged, and shot him just in front of his shield at 10ish yards. He stumbled past me and went down. No pass through, was using Hornady Black 75gn BTHP.
96a80b7f1f4dad0c55177427462cbc7a.jpg
70272ce3180991a1bbe15730efed2aa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jimbee

WKR
Anyone use Starline? I got 1k coming. No lapua and adi, while consistent, dosnt have the tightest primer pockets.

Curious on thoughts particularly how it relates to lapua.
Any thoughts on the Starline brass? I'm considering Starline for other calibers if it's decent.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
What are the go to powders for the 77 TMK? I can’t find XBR 8208. What are some comparable, preferably temp stable, alternatives? I saw someone using Varget and some recommending TAC.
I’m running 22.5 grains of H4895 at AR mag length about 2600 out of an AR with a 16” barrel. I run 24.5 in a 22 nosler, haven’t chronod but I imagine it is smoking along pretty good.

Wouldn’t mind if it were a little faster in the 223 but really don’t need it to, where I’ll be using it is sub 100 yard shots all day long. It shoots good out of my poverty parts bin upper I put together a couple years ago.

Edit: I’m surprised I haven’t seen much love for the 22nosler here considering it’s just a barrel change away for an AR. I would think it is a good way to get Tikka 223 velocities out of an AR due to the extra case capacity where you are limited to 2.26” for AR mags.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up on getting more lapua brass and have been using both starline 5.56 and 223 both are working just fine as far as precision goes. I bought a large amount so I haven’t put that many reloads on them yet to speak of longevity compared to lapua.

I’m running 22.5 grains of H4895 at AR mag length about 2600 out of an AR with a 16” barrel. I run 24.5 in a 22 nosler, haven’t chronod but I imagine it is smoking along pretty good.

Wouldn’t mind if it were a little faster in the 223 but really don’t need it to, where I’ll be using it is sub 100 yard shots all day long. It shoots good out of my poverty parts bin upper I put together a couple years ago.

Edit: I’m surprised I haven’t seen much love for the 22nosler here considering it’s just a barrel change away for an AR. I would think it is a good way to get Tikka 223 velocities out of an AR due to the extra case capacity where you are limited to 2.26” for AR mags.

I seriously considered .22 Nosler, and really like the cartridge. It kinda went DOA though, somewhere between competition from .224 Valk, lack of sustained marketing push and partner/manufacturer programs from Nosler, some perceived limits on ability to use high BC bullets, and some guys claiming they couldn't really get it accurate. Now add in .22ARC and Hornady's machine behind it, and the Nosler's on the fast track to obscurity. Sadly. Because it's a killer cartridge.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I seriously considered .22 Nosler, and really like the cartridge. It kinda went DOA though, somewhere between competition from .224 Valk, lack of sustained marketing push and partner/manufacturer programs from Nosler, some perceived limits on ability to use high BC bullets, and some guys claiming they couldn't really get it accurate. Now add in .22ARC and Hornady's machine behind it, and the Nosler's on the fast track to obscurity. Sadly. Because it's a killer cartridge.
Yeah that all makes plenty of sense, in my case the investment is small (maybe a couple hundred bucks into an AR barrel?) even if it does crap the bed eventually.

As of today there is bulk nosler brass on midway for about $1/piece, which the 250ct bag would probably be enough for me to hunt with the rest of my life assuming I will do most all of my plinking with the same lower with the 223 upper on it.

I do agree that the 22ARC will likely be better in just about every way imaginable.

brockel

WKR
Nosler brass was the killer of the 22 nosler. To get the velocity out of it to make it worthwhile you destroyed brass. Have a 22 arc upper showing up first part of next week. Looking forward to playing with that

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler brass was the killer of the 22 nosler. To get the velocity out of it to make it worthwhile you destroyed brass. Have a 22 arc upper showing up first part of next week. Looking forward to playing with that
I will be playing with the ARC as well before long if I can find a barrel cheap somewhere, not that I’ve found anything wrong with the Nosler.

I love my AR’s for this kinda stuff. So easy to add another cartridge or setup to the stable. You can shoot something totally different with minimal investment.

Axlrod

WKR
Any thoughts on the Starline brass? I'm considering Starline for other calibers if it's decent.
For about the same price, you can get brand new Lake City brass from Midway. It is very good brass, and generally it has the largest case capacity.

Jimbee

WKR
For about the same price, you can get brand new Lake City brass from Midway. It is very good brass, and generally it has the largest case capacity.
Thanks. I have a fukton of 233 range brass. I was mostly wondering about their brass for other cartridges.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Spent my Cabela's gift card from Father's day on Starline 223 brass. It was on sale so I thought it was probably better than my once fired Hornady or range pickup LC brass.

Attachments

• PXL_20240619_203310242.jpg
    PXL_20240619_203310242.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 61

ProAlpine

FNG
Excuse my ignorance, and laziness... I haven't read all 380 pages of this thread.

But if a .223 will suffice for large game, why wouldn't a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel be even better? More case capacity, more powder, higher velocities?

Cheers

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excuse my ignorance, and laziness... I haven't read all 380 pages of this thread.

But if a .223 will suffice for large game, why wouldn't a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel be even better? More case capacity, more powder, higher velocities?

Cheers
It would, same as the 22 creedmore spiting out 88 grainer. You would likely need to rebarrel the 22-250 to get a usable twist rate.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Taudisio

WKR

Cheers
With the proper bullet selection, shot placement, and velocity necessary to ensure proper expansion, anything will work. I believe that is the gist of this thread.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider

Cheers

Yes as above, but also worth noting that most people won't be shooting past the ~400 yds of effective range that the .223 gives, so the 22-250 is unnecessary recoil/noise/cost for those people.