.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I’ve hunted hogs on my place with a 26” 223, 16” 223rem, 16” 5.56 ar, 18” 22creed, 16” 243win, 18” 6.5creed, 12.5” 6.5grendel ar, 16” 30-06 and several more. I have the same thoughts. The 223rem with 80eldms are great if I have a vantage point/field and room for follow up shots but there is def some hogs that would have gone a lot further if I hadn’t got a follow up shot in. The quick recovery after recoil and being able to watch everything in the scope is nice. But when it comes to quick snap shots in thick brush or on the run where you only get one shot. The short 30/06 with 180-220gr bullets is king IMO. A bad shot is a bad shot but with the 06 it can still anchor or slow down hogs easier and give a larger margin for error regarding shot placement. Although I take much riskier shots with hogs than I would game animals. Now that I set up a shorter hunting rig in 223rem and have been using it more the last few years I’ve gained a whole new respect for it and proven to myself how effective it can be especially at killing more multiples on the run simply due to the low recoil, quick follow up shots, and 10rd mags.

I’ve heard some folk say they’re happy if a mortally wounded pig runs off. Saves them the trouble of dragging them away.

P

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I know some ranchers and farmers that do that on purpose but I’m not for it. I’ve seen the damage heavily populated areas can do to crops and I understand the resentment from them. I generally don’t like discussing ethics on forums but if we do have a wounded hog I do my best to track them down and finish job.

JJ3

FNG
If their warranty was a little more like others, I would send mine in...

"This warranty does not cover damage that occurs in shipment or failures that result from accidents, misuse, abuse, unauthorized alterations, theft, modifications and acts of God."

I think you'd fall under "act of God"
I have a 3-16 stac that I bought used for 200$. Something came loose inside it so I printed their warranty form and sent it in….not knowing if I would ever see it again.

Came back fixed in 3wks with back up paperwork and some swag. I was impressed.

Last edited:
OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
This entire thread is about what matters in efficient killing afield...

Please, focus on what matters.

Build your delivery system around what matters.

Become a rifleman.

Frees up a lot of mental space and objectivity to figure out the ‘how’ when the above is a non issue.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in a brown/grizzly bear. Trouble is I have a 6.5 Grendal I really like and a .308 I really like. I'd love to try a grizzly with either. The only. 223 rifles we have feel kinda "meh" in comparison (generic ARs we inherited) and none have a solid Trijicon or SWFA scope on them. But who knows I might do it. Now if Rokslide would sponsor me a short Tikka.... hey cheaper then a non resident hunt.

Juan_ID

WKR
I'm interested in a brown/grizzly bear. Trouble is I have a 6.5 Grendal I really like and a .308 I really like. I'd love to try a grizzly with either. The only. 223 rifles we have feel kinda "meh" in comparison (generic ARs we inherited) and none have a solid Trijicon or SWFA scope on them. But who knows I might do it. Now if Rokslide would sponsor me a short Tikka.... hey cheaper then a non resident hunt.
Hell I’ll send you mine as a “loaner”! It doesn’t have a trijicon or swfa but the new maven 1.2 and it’s short, 16.5”

atmat

WKR
If you’re willing to film a bit and take good necropsy photos, I’ll send you my 16” suppressor ready Tikka 223 stainless with Maven RS1.2.

It’s got the generic stock but I’ll eventually toss a Rokstock on it.

All this pending dates of your hunt and not interfering with an Idaho elk hunt I have lined in Oct. When is your hunt?

Edit: Looks like @Juan_ID made the same offer with virtually the same gun haha. We’re twinsies.

Last edited:

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Juan and Atmal thanks for the generous offers. A 16 in tikka would be perfect. I'm driving to work but I'll get a schedule asap and we can see if it would work for either of you.

wyosam

WKR
If their warranty was a little more like others, I would send mine in...

"This warranty does not cover damage that occurs in shipment or failures that result from accidents, misuse, abuse, unauthorized alterations, theft, modifications and acts of God."

I think you'd fall under "act of God"

I had an Siii 10-50 fall of the bench directly onto the bell, directly on concrete. Bent the tube and ruined the scope- 100% my fault (at least for setting it that close the edge, I’m not taking credit for the minor earthquake that put it on the ground).

They didn’t cover it, but they offered to sell me a new model deeply discounted (like sub $500 deeply discounted). Other than that event, they’ve been solid for me. Not a hunting rig, but it gets a lot of use. No wandering zero issues and tracks well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElPollo

WKR
Juan and Atmal thanks for the generous offers. A 16 in tikka would be perfect. I'm driving to work but I'll get a schedule asap and we can see if it would work for either of you.
That will be pretty damned cool if it works out.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Okay here would be the plan for a brown/grizzly bear this spring. I'm heavily involved with Cross Trail Outfitters which is basically a Christian mentoring program for young men via hunting and fishing trips. They do some great work if anyone is interested in helping out or sending a kid on a trip.

https://www.friendsofcto.org/state-giving/alaska

Last year the boys shot three black bears.

So if we see a bear there is a very high chance that I won't be the shooter. More then likely I'll have a 12-14 year old boy shooting first with me as backup. So to be honest, we'll try for a grizzly but if I have a 13 year old on his first hunt I'm not going to say "no" to a black bear that is right there to wait for a grizzly that might not show up.

Here is our basic plan for whole spring to fall hunting season

May - We put out bear baits in a couple locations (for later in June). Depending on snow levels we hope to backpack hunting in the mountains. This is fun hunting. The Kenia is one destination. I might or might not try a more remote hunt with another guy, probably an adult trip that would be a bit too crazy for kids.

June - I'll be sitting on bear baits with the CTO boys pretty much every weekend. Almost a sure thing we kill some black bears. Grizzlies tend to be less consistent but we might get a shot at one.
20230609_221800.jpg
July - Sort of a slow month but we might go hiking in the mountains to explore for bears and scout new moose hunting areas.

August - Bears start eating berries in the mountains and they don't tend to roam as far. We almost had a grizzly this way last fall but he gave us the slip. We did get a black bear and two other friends of mine got bears.
20230910_174619.jpg
September - This is more up in the air. Berry bears are still easy to hunt (not counting the hike up the mountain) but its moose season too. If I have time we do a 10 day moose hunt in an area that often has grizzlies. If we don't have that much time we'll do weekend trips focused on spot and stack bears on berries. Its more of a black bear area but if there are grizzlies they tend to be doing the same thing (eating berries). We'd definitely chase a grizzly if we saw one.

So there is the plan if someone wants to loan us a rifle for a part of that period we'd do our best to bloody it with as many species as possible with a priority on a grizzly kill. I usually film our hunts so I could get the autopsy on video too.

A 16 inch barrel would be perfect because I'd probably stick a suppressor on it. As far as stocks I like the normal stock just fine. I'd actually prefer NOT to have a special ROkstock on it because its the part most likely to be damaged in shipping or broken if a boy takes a fall, steep places we hunt.
20230908_161600.jpg
Actually if no one objected I might stick a compact stock on there for our smaller guys.

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
I had an Siii 10-50 fall of the bench directly onto the bell, directly on concrete. Bent the tube and ruined the scope- 100% my fault (at least for setting it that close the edge, I’m not taking credit for the minor earthquake that put it on the ground).

They didn’t cover it, but they offered to sell me a new model deeply discounted (like sub $500 deeply discounted). Other than that event, they’ve been solid for me. Not a hunting rig, but it gets a lot of use. No wandering zero issues and tracks well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good company. It's hard to ask for any more than that for something that wasn't their fault.