.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I’ve had inconsistent terminal performance with the Atip on big game and stopped using them all together due to the degree of inconsistency I experienced.
Really wish I’d stop hearing such things. Any reason to think the 90 could be different?

CBB1

WKR
The bc of the 88 is better than the 108 eldm and it's going faster in the creedmoors. It beats it from 0 to infinity.

Damnit, why am I just learning this. I’m in the process of setting up a rifle for the 108s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
Damnit, why am I just learning this. I’m in the process of setting up a rifle for the 108s.

LOL...just setup two rifles: One for 88's and one for 108's (where you can't use .224 for big game)

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
.270 vs .274 G7, not enough difference to matter but combined with the velocity would matter some.
But I do wonder if both are ran with 20" barrel and a suppressor as opposed to a 22-24" barrel if the 22CM is still faster or enough so to matter?

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider

I know. Just when I think I have a plan I keep reading stuff like this and start second guessing myself.

ChrisAU

WKR
Have not read the thread, but in a couple weeks I'm going to see how a 70gr TTSX does out of a 10.5" + 6" suppressor on hogs. For science.

That's basically a 22 creedmoor. I've heard negative things about the A-tip on game. No personal experience. Why not just use the 88? The 88 has a solid reputation.

I’m not opposed to the ELDM, but the BC (if real) on the ATips is phenomenal.

7165f5b62c9d5cd3ad980936da8c3899.jpg

If it is truly a relative thin jacketed target bullet, I don’t see how it wouldn’t expand at the velocity discussed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just out of curiosity, the folks that posted about unfavorable results with the ATip, what did you experience and what was your muzzle and impact velocities?

I’m not disputing either way for or against, I’m curious as to what your on game performance experience was.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
Just out of curiosity, the folks that posted about unfavorable results with the ATip, what did you experience and what was your muzzle and impact velocities?

I’m not disputing either way for or against, I’m curious as to what your on game performance experience was.

@Ryan Avery had one blow up on a deer at medium long range out of a 300 ultra mag if I remember right. I believe it was a quartering towards frontal shot with almost no penetration. Very poor performance if my memory serves me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If it is truly a relative thin jacketed target bullet, I don’t see how it wouldn’t expand at the velocity discussed here.

Very early versions fragmented heavily- very. However, now they behave very erratically. Mostly failure to upset. Caliber size wound channels through the entire animal.

Have not read the thread, but in a couple weeks I'm going to see how a 70gr TTSX does out of a 10.5" + 6" suppressor on hogs. For science.
Penetration won’t be a problem, that was my bread and butter for hogs for a number of years. Expansion is hit or miss depending on shot placement so put a few in there…for science 😉

preface: if this has been answered here please share the page number or post number.

The only questions I have about using very small light bullets, ones not typically considered large enough... lets say for example a 223 caliber on a large bull elk to be specific.

I well aware it doesn't take much to kill most anything in the right situations.

Lets say your hunting bull elk with a 223, you see a nice huge trophy bull and take the shot. Your typically a good shot but maybe its not a perfect broadside target or something and you hit large heavy bone. How will a tiny 223 be affected with a heavy bone hit? How will increasing distance affect the same hit?
100yds?
200yds?
300yds?
400yds?
How far out would you go?
Look at page 26, that’s a good start to your question, but seriously, start reading the whole thread, it’s worth reading, you don’t have to tackle it all at once, but this thread is loaded with really good information