.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Antares

WKR
Wow!

I'm reading Alaska's Wolf Man and he said the 220 Swift was the most emphatic killer of any cartridge he used. Also said he wouldn't use it on grizzlies but that was with 1920's light bullets.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the .222 Rem used to be a very popular cartridge for deer culling in NZ.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the .222 Rem used to be a very popular cartridge for deer culling in NZ.
Yup that's correct, an old mate told me that at the time scopes were becoming more commonplace and the 222s low recoil meant that neck and headshots were easy.
Especially compared to the open sight sporterized Lee Enfield 303s that were used before.

Antares

WKR
Yup that's correct, an old mate told me that at the time scopes were becoming more commonplace and the 222s low recoil meant that neck and headshots were easy.
Especially compared to the open sight sporterized Lee Enfield 303s that were used before.

This makes me chuckle because even though I grew up in the states, my first deer rifle was an open sight, sporterized SMLE .303 and I’m now shooting a .223 for the same reasons you mentioned.

I’ll be adding to this thread with at least one whitetail shot with 77 tmk and one from 73 eldm i can not wait

Jimbee

WKR
I made this my profile picture but I don't think I ever posted this. Iowa, Jan 2023. 20230113_170026.jpg77 tmk at 180ish yards 2400fps. Watched and heard the impact/mule kick. The doe ran in a circle and stopped, I shot again and she quickly expired. Both shots exited and did plenty of damage. Was right before dark and didn't get any good pictures. Superlite chopped to 18", JK solvent trap legally turned into supressor, SWFA 6x, Sportsmatch.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'm trying to convince my buddy who has the sheep tag.............

Randy

P.S. either the 223 or 308 will be lethal this season.