.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question I figured would get a good response in this thread.
As a fledgling hunter turned marksman (thanks to this thread); is my tiny 4.5lb .223 (wylde) TC contender a suitable trainer for my 5lb kimber rifles (22 creed, 6.5 creed)? Please see pic for the diminutive dimensions. (1" shortened LOP, 16" barrel).
Or experienced hunter turned fledgling marksman that is...
Anything is better than nothing but I would say that there isn't a whole lot of cross over between the rifle platforms other than trigger manipulation. Marksmanship training with a training rifle is also training yourself how to operate the rifle in different positions. Nice little rifle tho!

Trackselk

WKR
Anything is better than nothing but I would say that there isn't a whole lot of cross over between the rifle platforms other than trigger manipulation. Marksmanship training with a training rifle is also training yourself how to operate the rifle in different positions. Nice little rifle tho!
Thanks, looks like I'll have to look in to a .223 bolt gun and join the cult. Would a tika be a suitable trainer for a kimber bolt gun?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, looks like I'll have to look in to a .223 bolt gun and join the cult. Would a tika be a suitable trainer for a kimber bolt gun?
A tikka Is more suitable than your tc. However there will be differences in safety manipulation and bolt throw (tikkas have a lower bolt throw). How much that matters will be up to you. Also... don't let what Is written here dissuade you from using your tc and practicing with it, that is a sweet little setup. It just doesn't transfer over well for bolt guns.

Oakridge

FNG
Got to get some quality time behind the Howa Mini this week. My absolute favorite rifle to shoot now! Easy moa groups at 200. Next up is to chop and thread the barrel and find TMK’s for deer season!

Attachments

• 6BDE0480-9EBB-403D-8022-EC646B775DB2.png
    6BDE0480-9EBB-403D-8022-EC646B775DB2.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 122

Trackselk

WKR
For you few mono shooters; anyone try .224 bulldozer 2's? BC of
.47 IIRC. I'm going to see how small bears and big bucks like them first...

Got to get some quality time behind the Howa Mini this week. My absolute favorite rifle to shoot now! Easy moa groups at 200. Next up is to chop and thread the barrel and find TMK’s for deer season!
Nice! What model howa mini you have? What’s the barrel twist?

I was thinking of one of the carbon stalkers but can’t find the twist rate on them and I’m not getting a .223 without a 1 in 8

Also looking at the new CZ in .223

I would prefer a tikka but they sound hard to find lately

Oakridge

FNG
Nice! What model howa mini you have? What’s the barrel twist?

I was thinking of one of the carbon stalkers but can’t find the twist rate on them and I’m not getting a .223 without a 1 in 8

Also looking at the new CZ in .223

I would prefer a tikka but they sound hard to find lately
I got the standard Howa mini barreled action off Brownells. Ordered a Pendleton stock and Oregon gunsmithing bottom metal. The barrel is a 1 in 8 twist and is marked on the side to confirm. Fantastic rifle that I’m very happy with.
I do really like the CZ 600 in 223, very nice feeling guns.

SBR Sarge

Lil-Rokslider
Just got around to measuring the twist in my 223 and it's 1:7 I guess I need to find some 77 TMK
Here is a lead on ammo with the 77 TMK.

Here is a lead on ammo with the 77 TMK.

Thanks. I saw those, I was just hoping to find some projectiles to load, but I will probably end up biting the bullet and getting some.