.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah, whoever started this thing is responsible for my poverty also, only stepped it up a notch to 22creed as I like to shoot monos...

Trackselk

WKR
Honest question …. But after reading this thread what made you stay with monos?
My kids eating the meat, and meat loss mostly, but I've also been impressed by the performance of barnes ttsx on 7 elk, and nearly as many deer, and then Form got me going towards the LRX, which he said is better. Now if I could only find some in stock in .224!

Knock on wood, I haven't lost an animal with a ttsx, and none have gone anywhere (nearly all just lung shots).
I've found the amazing penetration of the monos to be added insurance as well. I won't argue that the TMK isn't more lethal though. Looks to be amazingly deadly.

Lastly, a comparably small wound with a mono at 2300fps+ is still vastly more devastating and forgiving (ease of shot placement and penetration) than an arrow I figure, and i have shot stuff with bows.

*all ttsx were .308 Win

qwerksc

WKR
@Veloci_Wrench @Oakridge @qwerksc

My first date with a 223 was today @ 14:30
First sip of the Kool-Aid was sweet….
Turns out, killing something on both ends of the gun may be unnecessary

Howa Mini .223
Burris 2-10X40 Signature
Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal

Need to drain 100 rounds so I can begin reloading
Got RS special of sorts coming.
Tikka t3x superlite. My pops has all the load info, 200+ mixed rounds, including some 77gr tmk. I’ll have the rifle in my possession next week.

taba

FNG
Just curious - by the same reasoning, would a .308/195gr TMK be recommended for African dangerous game?

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus

Question, not conflict… I am genuinely interested in learning more about terminal ballistics in game.
I noted at one point you mentioned a desire for a 90+ grain TMK.

What would be the anticipated advantage in a .223?

Undoubtedly there would be a higher B.C. while trading a lower MV, this would likely result in not that much added range in the .223 over a 77 TMK due to resulting terminal velocity being below acceptable levels at longer ranges…

I‘m guessing higher kinetic energy on larger game at all distances that have acceptable terminal velocity, and / or deeper penetration before bullet upset… Thoughts?

@Formidilosus

Question, not conflict… I am genuinely interested in learning more about terminal ballistics in game.
I noted at one point you mentioned a desire for a 90+ grain TMK.

What would be the anticipated advantage in a .223?

Undoubtedly there would be a higher B.C. while trading a lower MV, this would likely result in not that much added range in the .223 over a 77 TMK due to resulting terminal velocity being below acceptable levels at longer ranges…

I‘m guessing higher kinetic energy on larger game at all distances that have acceptable terminal velocity, and / or deeper penetration before bullet upset… Thoughts?

My understanding was it wasn't for a .223, but more like 22 creed.

The recommendation seems to generally put 77TMK as the max for .223, but heavier bullets for larger cartridges have been discussed.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, makes sense with a more potent cartridge.
So would there only be a longer range advantage, or other benefits such as more energy on target & / or deeper penetration?

robtattoo

WKR
No didnt read all 159 pages . sorry. but kind of makes my point.
You should, it’s the most informative material I’ve read on the internet period. If you can’t let go of traditional stigmas, it probably won’t matter, but if you are capable of reading with an open mind, your opinions will shift at least some.

The vast information (experience based) in this thread can be applied to any cartridge as well, it’s about the .223 but goes much deeper than that alone.

I opened this thread because I’m a sucker for clickbait thread titles, but it got real legs pretty quick.

Last edited: