.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Shraggs

WKR
The spirit of this thread isn’t a 223 caliber head stamp, it’s the wounding of tmks and how an explosive wounding Bullet can dramatically elevate a punny 22 cal to take large game and what most would consider medium to long range.

35w if you can produce photos if 55 grain tsx in a 223 in dead elk at 450 yards were all ears.

35 caliber w tsx don’t count in this thread.

When the bullet doesn't fly apart it doesn't contaminate to any large extent therefore I feel that is true. Some folks definition of what constitutes contamination (degree of) is different than others. Making sure I own what I say and let other people feel and think what they want.

Thanks for calling me out on the 223 element. 35's don't play! Wrong subject matter.

As far as effectiveness of Barnes bullets, they are effective. Nothing ineffective about cup and core either, different ways to the same end. I digressed and my bad.

Carry on, I enjoy reading about a very different perspective on how effective these projectiles are/can be.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
So... if given the choice between a Hornady 55gr spire point or a 73gr eld-m what would be your choice for spring black bear. I haven't read this thread for a while but if I remember correctly the 73 gr was a bit splashy up close while the 55 gr has a proven reputation in close on other forums. Still trying to find reasonably priced 77 tmk's here in Canada so that's off the table for now. Thanks!

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
So... if given the choice between a Hornady 55gr spire point or a 73gr eld-m what would be your choice for spring black bear. I haven't read this thread for a while but if I remember correctly the 73 gr was a bit splashy up close while the 55 gr has a proven reputation in close on other forums. Still trying to find reasonably priced 77 tmk's here in Canada so that's off the table for now. Thanks!
I've never used the 73eldm but I do have a lot of experience with the 55sp for pest control on hogs and red deer

I'm very confident in it, put one in the chest and it'll likely make it out the other side after busting ribs, punching through lungs and heart.
I have recovered a few projectiles under the offside skin and they were perfect mushrooms

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider

I’m hoping 73s do good because I have 300 of them haha! Going 2820 fps with tac out of my ruger predator 223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Please update with the 73 elds because I have a couple hundred and I'm not sure if I'd want to deer hunt with them because I get most shots within 25 yards.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Please update with the 73 elds because I have a couple hundred and I'm not sure if I'd want to deer hunt with them because I get most shots within 25 yards.

At 25 yards, put it in the neck or behind an ear and it won’t matter what bullet you’re using.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience first hand with the 73 ELD-m, however I have used the .223 and Hornady's 55 grain sp w/c for a couple. Neither where particularly close or large bears( both around 100 yards and between 200 and 230lbs). If you're talking eating sized bears I'd use the 55 again and probably will because they shoot well in most .22 centerfires and are cheap and readily available, but I'd prefer a Speer Golddot, Nosler Partition or Swift Sirocco based on my experiences.
If you can find TMK's in Canada at any price currently you're doing well. I occasionally see the 60's but I don't know if they have the same performance of the 69 and 77.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience first hand with the 73 ELD-m, however I have used the .223 and Hornady's 55 grain sp w/c for a couple. Neither where particularly close or large bears( both around 100 yards and between 200 and 230lbs). If you're talking eating sized bears I'd use the 55 again and probably will because they shoot well in most .22 centerfires and are cheap and readily available, but I'd prefer a Speer Golddot, Nosler Partition or Swift Sirocco based on my experiences.
If you can find TMK's in Canada at any price currently you're doing well. I occasionally see the 60's but I don't know if they have the same performance of the 69 and 77.
I was kinda leaning this way... tho I may try the 73's if I have somebody to back me up if things go sideways. If your looking for 77 tmk's in Canada prophet river had some last time I checked for $65/100. I thought about it but by the time they get to me they'll be closer to $75-80/100. I can buy bullets locally for my .30-06 a lot cheaper than that...

bigbuckdj

WKR
They sold out of those a day or two ago. I had them in my cart and missed out.