.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

LCV

FNG
Ah. Nosler 64gr BSB would be my first choice for 100’ish yards and damage. But even the 75gr Hornady HPBT is good at higher impact velocities.
Speaking of HPBT’s, have you had any experience with the 69/75gr hpbt from rocky mountain reloading? I believe the owner has said on other forums he designed them for larger game

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Speaking of HPBT’s, have you had any experience with the 69/75gr hpbt from rocky mountain reloading? I believe the owner has said on other forums he designed them for larger game

I have not.

JLM

FNG
Ah. Nosler 64gr BSB would be my first choice for 100’ish yards and damage. But even the 75gr Hornady HPBT is good at higher impact velocities.
Looks like the Nosler BSB is discontinued but I have a box of the 75 HPBT sitting on the bench so that's an easy choice. Thanks.

Firth

FNG

I have no experience on game but the 75 3gh has not shot great. I bought 1k when they first became available. I probably have targets somewhere but just from memory I believe they were around 2 to 2.5 inches for 10 shots out of a 223 T3x that is generally around 1 MOAish for 10 shots with Hornady 75 bthp and 73 ELDMs (all at 100 yards). Only shot them in a couple guns, (T3x and Larue AR) so maybe just bad luck. I don't have a lot of motivation to try very hard if stuff doesn't shoot well pretty easily. Prefer to just move to something that does.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
On Friday, I was searching for real world experience with the 75gr HPBT and hoping I could find your input. I got tired of searching, so I just ordered some and figured I'd give it a try. Glad to hear they perform well.

I have no experience on game but the 75 3gh has not shot great. I bought 1k when they first became available. I probably have targets somewhere but just from memory I believe they were around 2 to 2.5 inches for 10 shots out of a 223 T3x that is generally around 1 MOAish for 10 shots with Hornady 75 bthp and 73 ELDMs (all at 100 yards). Only shot them in a couple guns, (T3x and Larue AR) so maybe just bad luck. I don't have a lot of motivation to try very hard if stuff doesn't shoot well pretty easily. Prefer to just move to something that does.

i had 4k of the hornady 75 hpbts. after trying a few powders, a new barrel, multiple scopes, and a bunch of other rigamarole, i just sold the 2700 of them that were left. best 10 shot group ever was 1.2 moa, average was about 2 moa, many groups at 2.2-2.5 moa for 10 shots. they were the least accurate projectile I have ever tried.

ElPollo

WKR
Just in case this offer gets lost in the shit show that is that other thread, here is a guy offering to guide people on bait hunts for AK grizzlies with a 223…

Someone should take this guy up on it if they have the resources.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 223 AR15 set up with 77 gr TMKs but none of the people using it had a chance at a grizzly. We did get 4 different black bears using my 6.5 Grendal and 123 ELDMs. I was impressed. It made bloody exits on body shots. It's a small sample size but I'd say it did as well as a 308 or 358 did at killingbears fast and kids like it. Thegman has his report about a grizzly with the 223/TMK combo somewhere around here.
Sadly it's unlikely I'll shoot a grizzly with a 223 this fall. My 223 has been a bit finicky with accuracy so I'm not taking it on hunts that aren't on bait.

z987k

WKR
Just in case this offer gets lost in the shit show that is that other thread, here is a guy offering to guide people on bait hunts for AK grizzlies with a 223…

Someone should take this guy up on it if they have the resources.
Unless he's a guide he can't do that for griz. Probably black bears.

WIDrake

FNG
Well it only took me a month to read, is the reason I joined the site, and is still boggling my mind.

I know it works and can see it but will continue to question until I go do it(but thats just a character flaw I have in regards to anything, I need to see results first hand to truly accept and stop questioning). I plan on taking the trusty crusty PRS gun out hunting this year in it's original stock and putting the almighty 223 to work. Currently I run the 73 eldm as my match bullet because I'm dumb and decided a 223 would be the best way to start so it's a challenge and I have to learn more. I have a cert for 500 free Sierra bullets and will be getting the 77 TMKs to see if they'll stabilize in ol crusty. Sadly ol crusty is a Remington 700 PSS with a 1:8.xx" barrel(supposed to be 1:9 but it's actually a touch faster and I can't tell where it lands between 8.6-8.9). 77smks sometimes stabilize given enough speed and proper atmospherics so I don't have high hope. The 24" gas gun is 1:7 so that's an option, but so is my match load seeing how a guy killed a FRIGGIN MOOSE with the 73eldm.

Thanks god I have all my stuff already because if I didn't, this thread would have been expensive!

Drenalin

WKR.
Well it only took me a month to read, is the reason I joined the site, and is still boggling my mind.

I know it works and can see it but will continue to question until I go do it(but thats just a character flaw I have in regards to anything, I need to see results first hand to truly accept and stop questioning). I plan on taking the trusty crusty PRS gun out hunting this year in it's original stock and putting the almighty 223 to work. Currently I run the 73 eldm as my match bullet because I'm dumb and decided a 223 would be the best way to start so it's a challenge and I have to learn more. I have a cert for 500 free Sierra bullets and will be getting the 77 TMKs to see if they'll stabilize in ol crusty. Sadly ol crusty is a Remington 700 PSS with a 1:8.xx" barrel(supposed to be 1:9 but it's actually a touch faster and I can't tell where it lands between 8.6-8.9). 77smks sometimes stabilize given enough speed and proper atmospherics so I don't have high hope. The 24" gas gun is 1:7 so that's an option, but so is my match load seeing how a guy killed a FRIGGIN MOOSE with the 73eldm.

Thanks god I have all my stuff already because if I didn't, this thread would have been expensive!
I used the 73 ELD-M last season from I think 60 to almost 400 yards, and had no drama with deer being dead (wounds were fairly dramatic at all ranges). Looks like we're about to pick up some damage tags, so hopefully I'll have a bunch more evidence in the near future.

Firth

FNG
i had 4k of the hornady 75 hpbts. after trying a few powders, a new barrel, multiple scopes, and a bunch of other rigamarole, i just sold the 2700 of them that were left. best 10 shot group ever was 1.2 moa, average was about 2 moa, many groups at 2.2-2.5 moa for 10 shots. they were the least accurate projectile I have ever tried.

Most of what I've heard on the Hornady 75 bthp from others has been positive, but I've heard of a couple experience with people who couldn't get them to shoot. I suppose that's just how it is sometimes. After my experience with the RMR 3gh I've been watching a bit, and I don't believe I've seen any reports from anyone bragging about the accuracy they've had with them. Anecdotal for sure, and may not mean anything.

SloppyJ

WKR
I think I'm full convert now. Got my son a tikka .223 compact for his birthday. Got it chopped and threaded to 16.5" and put my 3x9 credo on top. Can't wait for him to get to shoot it in a month or so. By a brilliant stroke of luck, I also ran into a 500ct box of 77tmks so we should be set for quite a bit. Guess I'll donate some of my brass to him and he can have his own little setup like Dad and come home and reload with me too.

Crappie pic from the garage with the sun poking through

1000004908.jpg

Got a chance to go shoot the AAC ammo I ordered. Did not shoot for groups as it was pushing sunset and I was playing with my Xero Crono trying to learn it as this was my first time using it. I shot a 5 shot string for speeds using the Black Hills 5.56 77tmk as a base line. Accuracy was acceptable from all shot strings given the falling light and the fact I was shooting out of the bed of my truck. All shot from my Howa 223 heavy barrel 20", no suppressor, no brake.
I might be missing something, but are you shooting 5.56 in a 223 rifle? No pressure issues with this?

Editing this post as it seems a lot of folks are using 5.56 ammo in factory bolt action 223s. Forgive me if this has been addressed already, but isn't this a "no no"?

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I might be missing something, but are you shooting 5.56 in a 223 rifle? No pressure issues with this?

Editing this post as it seems a lot of folks are using 5.56 ammo in factory bolt action 223s. Forgive me if this has been addressed already, but isn't this a "no no"?
It’s fine, at least in a Tikka. I do it all the time.

Drenalin

WKR.
It may vary by rifle. I’ve heard it’s not okay in a Ruger 223, but if anyone knows different I’m all ears.

The Guide

WKR

The bolt action rifles with the correct twist to run these heavy for caliber bullets have shown to be able to shoot these rounds without issue. Your mileage may vary but the Howa Mini Action in 223 and the Tikka T3X 223 have been shot extensively with the Black Hills 5.56 77tmk without issue. Use caution always.

Jay