.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Got a couple on doe patrol with the rokslide special
73 grain eldm Tikka 20" barrel
Doe 1
Broadside
Estimated impacted velocity 2525fps
Entrance
Screenshot_20240218-055536.png
Exit
Screenshot_20240218-055613.png
Shot was a hair back then I would have liked but I still thought was a double lung dead deer. Went up to find it and it popped up from behind a tree where it bedded after getting shot and trotted off maybe 30 yds waving it's head in the air obviously messed up. It got to some bushes, fell, then got up then feel down again. I crept up to finish it off and by the time I got close it was dead. It was either quartering more than I thought or it deflected or tumbled internally as there was a lot of damage further back than expected. No exit part of bullet was in offside hide. Recovered maybe 50 yards from where it was shot

Last edited:
Doe 2
Estimated impact velocity 2490
Broadside walking down trail
Entrance
PXL_20240217_224941530.jpg
Exit
PXL_20240217_225145681.jpg
This shot was more forward than the last. Broke shoulder entrance side, was dead probably within 20 yards. Nice exit. I think axis vitals are more forward and sometimes I forget to aim more forward.
Screenshot_20240218-061949.png

Last edited:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider

Wapiti151

WKR
For the guys like me who have yet to start reloading, I got out quickly with the new tikka for an initial zero. Had factory BH 77tmk and factory Sierra 77gr hpbt ammo. After bore sight and zero with the HPBT, shot a 3 round group that measured at .6”, then shot 3 rounds of the factory BH ammo. Made a ragged hole, only had to make a right .1 windage adjustment to get on zero with the BH…another 3 shots, another tight clover. Tikka’s sure do make it easy. This reminded me, and then had me second guessing all the $1500+ rifles that sit next to it.

Need to get out now and shoot 10+ round groups but so far VERY happy with both. Found the HPBT on sale, and with my rifle, it confirms what most have said about these being excellent practice rounds. Figured I’d throw this out there for guys not reloading and looking to practice with something VERY close to the TMK on paper. Midway has them available now, but when I bought last week they were only $20/box and free shipping.

Can’t find 73gr eldm ammo yet, but want to try the 75s with a MT mag.

Wapiti151

WKR
^^^^^^^^^^
I reload also, BUT the black hills factory 77 tmk offering is (as someone else in this thread would say) titties.
I just can't hardly duplicate their accuracy and it leaves more time for shooting.

Randy
I’ve seen you make that point before, and it resonates with me. Even though I plan to start reloading very soon, and now that I know my rifle enjoys it, I plan on picking up at least a case next time I can find it.

Time is $. And I think it was you that said it regarding reloading/factory ammo…I can always make more $.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
If the weather allows it, I will be shooting various factory loads tomorrow to compare accuracy and velocity. I know several members have asked about velocity data between Black Hills, Stand One Armory and ACC so hopefully I can provide some additional information reference those loads......plus it will be more time behind the rokstock.
I've shot all those before and all shot well but did not previously chrono them.

Randy

fwafwow

WKR
If the weather allows it, I will be shooting various factory loads tomorrow to compare accuracy and velocity. I know several members have asked about velocity data between Black Hills, Stand One Armory and ACC so hopefully I can provide some additional information reference those loads......plus it will be more time behind the rokstock.
I've shot all those before and all shot well but did not previously chrono them.

Randy
I look forward to the results. I didn't test for accuracy but I did compare Stand 1 and BH for speed out of a 16.5" Tikka. Short version:
  • Stand 1 223 77gr TMK - 2830.6; 15.9 SD
  • Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMK - 2717.7; 24.2 SD
More info here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-barrel-length-speed.325173/post-3391495

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
.223 is perfect for deer, with a few important points though. ..you have to use a slow expansion bullet. keep shots under 150 yards. obviously others here will debate but believe me. my picks are barnes tsx as mentioned above or better winchester deer season...the bullet has to be slow expanding.
what not to do...dont use varmint rounds up close, no penetrate
dont use fmj or matchkings far out. theyll wound but not good enuf
do not try headshots they nearly never work on deer anatomy
ok let flames start .

.223 is perfect for deer, with a few important points though. ..you have to use a slow expansion bullet. keep shots under 150 yards. obviously others here will debate but believe me. my picks are barnes tsx as mentioned above or better winchester deer season...the bullet has to be slow expanding.
ok let flames start .
Screenshot_20240218_141707_Google.jpg

ok let flames start .
I wish you would have replied much earlier in this thread so everyone wasn’t wasting their time this whole time

CWA360

FNG
DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET.

“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
Got any ballistics data? I’m skeptical but interested to know more.

eric1115

WKR
The first line in the post you quoted is literally a link to the cheat sheet with lots of terminal ballistics information.