.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
for me, inconsistent means that even though i've got 4000 of the 75 bthp, the 77 tmk or 73 eld is going to be what gets shot at anything I have to put a tag on.

Inconsistent expansion? Penetration? I’ve got a few thousand myself and they work well enough that I keep wondering why I’m swapping back and forth

Inconsistent in expansion on game. Frequently a problem with some otm bullets.

They usually open up violently, but a few won't.

I’ve been shooting SMKs for many years and have shot numerous deer size game animals with them. What Billy said is exactly what I’ve seen but work/don’t work ratio closer to 50/50 IME. Shot a 100lb doe with one and it penciled through right behind both shoulders. Two caliber sized holes in both lungs. Non existent blood trail and damn near never found her. Had to shoot her again with a CNS hit to keep her from running again.

MThuntr

WKR
OK TLDR...is there a summary of bullets used in this thread or is just 77gr TMK?

I'm thinking one of the heavier high BC ELD-X bullets would be worthy of attention particularly for deer/antelope.

LCV

FNG
OK TLDR...is there a summary of bullets used in this thread or is just 77gr TMK?

I'm thinking one of the heavier high BC ELD-X bullets would be worthy of attention particularly for deer/antelope.
No, they do not perform similarly in gel. One expands and fragments. One yaws and fragments. The first video is Clear Ballistics Gel which is NOT an indicator or terminal performance and should not be used. The AR15.com videos are generally good. However, if you watched them, how did you come to that those the Horn 75gr HPBT and 77gr TMK are similar?

If you read this thread from the start, I state multiple times that Open Tip Match bullets with relatively thick jackets (SMK, Hornady HPBT, etc.) generally kill fine yet can exhibit variable terminal performance. It is not unusual for most OTM’s to yaw and deviate from the original track after striking a barrier, even light ones. Having said that, you could probably shoot another 20-30 and not have an issue with those bullets.

As for the overall situation and deers reaction, animals shot when utilizing a suppressor often react as they do from archery. What you experienced is not unusual as far as animal reaction goes. Had you shot it unsuppressed it likely would have ran until oxygen and/or blood pressure dropped and been dead before you found it.

I’ve stated this numerous times, for general hunting with .224’s-

1). 55, 62, 64, and 75 grain Speer Gold Dots as well as identically constructed Federal Fusion including the 90gr.

2). Hornady 75 and 88gr AMAX/ELD-M (can be a bit splashy).

3). 77gr Tipped MatchKing

I did not forget any. I did not leave any out. If it’s not one of the above, it is probably because it does not perform like the above.

The 77gr TMK is currently THE .224 bullet for 223’s in soft tissue in the broadest ranges and use.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shooting SMKs for many years and have shot numerous deer size game animals with them. What Billy said is exactly what I’ve seen but work/don’t work ratio closer to 50/50 IME. Shot a 100lb doe with one and it penciled through right behind both shoulders. Two caliber sized holes in both lungs. Non existent blood trail and damn near never found her. Had to shoot her again with a CNS hit to keep her from running again.
The Hornady BTHP and SMK act very differently. I’ve killed a few animals with the SMK and won’t use them anymore as they are inconsistent when it comes to expansion.

The Hornady BTHP on the other hand has performed more like a Berger bullet, but seems to be a little tougher with a narrower cone of expansion. Most of the animals we have shot with them have resulted in pass throughs. I killed near two dozen animals with the 75gr BTHP from Hornady all out of an 18” AR15 and every one has expanded. I would call that very consistent performance.

-77gr TMK is king
-73gr ELD is mag fed and readily available
-75gr, 80gr, 88gr eld if you can load/spin them.
-fusion/gold dot for mag fed and availability
-Some outlier OTMs (not sierra 77gr) & soft points

Roughly in that order from my perspective

MThuntr

WKR
@LCV and @ARK_Ginger Appreciate the help. I didn't do a good search and it seem those were what I would have expected. I just started plinking around with 77gr RDFs in my 223 but I'm not sure I want to send them at animals and of course they're on the edge of stable.

The last deer I shot with a 223 were within 100yards and with 55gr soft points. That was the minimum allowed by the state of NE when I was in college. At the time, I don't remember much being available on the shelves in anything heavier that wasn't an FMJ.

The Hornady BTHP and SMK act very differently. I’ve killed a few animals with the SMK and won’t use them anymore as they are inconsistent when it comes to expansion.

The Hornady BTHP on the other hand has performed more like a Berger bullet, but seems to be a little tougher with a narrower cone of expansion. Most of the animals we have shot with them have resulted in pass throughs. I killed near two dozen animals with the 75gr BTHP from Hornady all out of an 18” AR15 and every one has expanded. I would call that very consistent performance.
I was speaking solely on the SMK but have also shot the bthp. I don’t disagree they perform better terminally than the smk but that’s not saying much. The tipped bullets have outperformed and been more consistent hands down.

ElPollo

WKR
This thread is getting expensive. Picked up small rifle primers and powder yesterday and just ordered a 10x42 SS SWFA for a Tikka 223 that I haven't bought yet-lol.
Inflation is a bummer. I dropped my 223 Tikka off at my gunsmith’s shop today. His cut and thread costs have gone up 50% since the last gun I had cut. Can’t blame him. Everything has gotten more expensive. Heck, this Tikka was $150 more than the last two I bought. But it’s still worth it to watch my daughter giggle as she hammers steel plates at 200-500 yards.