.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Marshfly

WKR
16” 223rem tx3 lite with stockys carbon hunter(21oz)
Factory bm & action screws
Plastic bolt shroud
Factory mag
Ti lug
5.5lbs
LOL. Darn close to what I was trying to figure out the weight of. Thanks!!

We REALLY need Trijicon to do an external dialing Credo 3-9x40 since the SWFA is essentially a ghost scope. Could hit right about 6.75# even for this all in.

fwafwow

WKR
What suppressors are you guys preferring on bolt guns? All of my (limited) knowledge on cans is centered around ARs and making them run reliably while suppressed, but that's clearly not an issue with a bolt gun. At that point I'd just want it to be light and handy.
Thunderbeast Ultra 9.

What suppressors are you guys preferring on bolt guns? All of my (limited) knowledge on cans is centered around ARs and making them run reliably while suppressed, but that's clearly not an issue with a bolt gun. At that point I'd just want it to be light and handy.
Cgs hyperion

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a TBAC Ultra 7 and a YHM Resonator type. I can say both are very good for their price points.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
LOL. Darn close to what I was trying to figure out the weight of. Thanks!!

We REALLY need Trijicon to do an external dialing Credo 3-9x40 since the SWFA is essentially a ghost scope. Could hit right about 6.75# even for this all in.
I would look at the Arken EPL with 30 mm tube in the lower power range.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider

I love my CGS Hyperion. Use it on my bolt gun and my AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Have they been thrown on the ground until proven yet?

I havnt seen a 30mm one but everything arken I have seen has been pretty husky.
Yes. See the scope reviews here. Did better than a vortex or leupold but still moved more than I can stomach on the drops.

-J

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Hyperion K

00SCSS

FNG
@BAC . Take a look at the Diligent Defense Enticer STi. Shot it back to back with a Harvester Evo, Omega 300, TBac 9, and TBac Dominus and for the money I think it is the easy choice. The 9 was quiter but not by much, and to our unscientific test sounded better than the others.

Ibex

FNG
Just received notice powder valley has xbr 8208 in 8#.

and it shows out of stock now.

LiveFire

FNG
Just received notice powder valley has xbr 8208 in 8#.

and it shows out of stock now.
Try winchester staball match. Ive only tested 100 or so rounds so nowhere near enough to throw my aa2520 and imr8208xbr loads out yet but things are promising. Im shooting the 77TMK at 2.30 oal from an 18" barrel with average velocity a little over 2700fps. Accuracy is on par with 8208 but not as good as my aa2520 load so far. However according to hodgdon staball match has anti copper fouling additives and is supposed to be consistent in different temperatures even though its a "ball" powder. Its made in the USA so availability is pretty good. Ive not had to hunt it down or put any stock notifications in. I just go to my local shop and its on the shelf. If it works well in my 6x45 then I probably wont worry about buying imr8208xbr again.

Sadler

WKR
Reading the thread in reverse to get some more recent pictures of current seasons, this was a 16" bbl .223 at 400 & 500y taking those cows? I read that right?
Yep. The bull was at 400 broadside and the cow was at 500 broadside with a couple 6.5 PRC rounds already in her. I forgot to mention this in the original post but that cow had a bigger body than the rag I shot.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Yep. The bull was at 400 broadside and the cow was at 500 broadside with a couple 6.5 PRC rounds already in her. I forgot to mention this in the original post but that cow had a bigger body than the rag I shot.

Thank you for confirmation. I'm well into the thread and I'm honestly still coming to terms with how effective the .223 seems to be on large game. Part of me is still saying the 6.5 Grendel is a better choice so I never have to worry about state compliance laws but damned if the .223 isn't much more impressive than I gave it credit for being.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thank you for confirmation. I'm well into the thread and I'm honestly still coming to terms with how effective the .223 seems to be on large game. Part of me is still saying the 6.5 Grendel is a better choice so I never have to worry about state compliance laws but damned if the .223 isn't much more impressive than I gave it credit for being.

The 223 with 77gr TMK and a proper rifle and scope is the way. There is no single system/cartridge that does what it does.

A compact T3 223 in 1-8” twist, suppressed, with SWFA 6x MQ and 77gr TMK’s is the most down and dirty on demand killing setup on the market. The 6:5 Grendel is fine, but pales in comparison. Worry about state restrictions only when and if it comes up.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
The 223 with 77gr TMK and a proper rifle and scope is the way. There is no single system/cartridge that does what it does.

A compact T3 223 in 1-8” twist, suppressed, with SWFA 6x MQ and 77gr TMK’s is the most down and dirty on demand killing setup on the market. The 6:5 Grendel is fine, but pales in comparison. Worry about state restrictions only when and if it comes up.

Listen to the man, buy one and try to wear it out. After thousands of rounds behind mine over the course of 2 years I can say without a doubt it is my most deadly sub 500yd rifle and I would have no problem pushing it further if need be.

The killing ability is there with this setup and the amount of shooting one can afford to do with it will really lead to confidence in what you can do. After skinning my deer and seeing the path of destruction this little bullet left nobody should be left wanting more.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
I do appreciate you gentlemen for gathering and sharing this knowledge. I spoke about this with my old man last night and he was as incredulous as I was. Same basic history though: our knowledge came purely from the conventional wisdom of his parents' age. I think this about settles my rifle choice re: my other topic.

BLJ

WKR

What is it about the Grendel that makes it a lesser option? Recoil, price of ammo, availability?
If a person were to use TMK/ELDM and stay above 1800, what makes the 223 superior in your opinion? Just curious. Thanks.