.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

xsn10s

WKR
Website says "non" adjustable. Are there screws glued down like the old 700 triggers or is it actually non adjustable?
Mine is a non adjustable model which is evident by looking at the trigger. I installed it into a KRG stock and while off I purposely did not investigate the trigger too much. I didn't want to tempt myself lol. I figured I'd leave it alone and see if it lightens up after a 100-200 rounds. It's completely useable for a hunting rifle. But if I want a better trigger I'll find an older adjustable one and adjust it myself. the last one twenty years ago I got down to 2 lbs clean, crisp and reliable.

Update: I meant to clean the trigger with cigarette lighter fluid before I started using it. But i still haven't located any. Too much real life stuff to deal with.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Shot some of my guns the other day after getting some more trijicons and putting them on tikkas. My tikka 223 was by far the most pleasant and easiest gun to shoot.

Earlier in the week I walked up on some hogs wallering around at the edge of a pond. Got within 40 yards and shot the first sow square in the shoulder and dropped her. Shot another hog on the trot in the front half. Shooting 77gr tmk out of a 16” larue upper.

Never found the 2nd hog and didn’t see any blood. She ran in a thicket so I didn’t look to hard. I’ve had nothing but fantastic results with the 77gr tmk in both 223 and 22-250 but now I’m slightly hesitant to shoot it at animals near the edge of thick brush
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

Based on my experience, if you hit that hog in the front half, it’s dead.

Hate when this happens to animals regardless of the projectile and caliber.

xsn10s

WKR
Shot some of my guns the other day after getting some more trijicons and putting them on tikkas. My tikka 223 was by far the most pleasant and easiest gun to shoot.

Earlier in the week I walked up on some hogs wallering around at the edge of a pond. Got within 40 yards and shot the first sow square in the shoulder and dropped her. Shot another hog on the trot in the front half. Shooting 77gr tmk out of a 16” larue upper.

Never found the 2nd hog and didn’t see any blood. She ran in a thicket so I didn’t look to hard. I’ve had nothing but fantastic results with the 77gr tmk in both 223 and 22-250 but now I’m slightly hesitant to shoot it at animals near the edge of thick brush
Sorry bud. I haven't had that happen with big game luckily. But it can happen to anyone. I've had it happen with rock chucks and I hate to say it, but it took a lot of the fun out of hunting them.

letrbuck

WKR
Cripes this thread is getting hard to keep up with! I was post #5 when it started and here we are at page 223!

Thanks to all who have contributed, both in their detailed accounts and even some of you with your fun banter.

ElPollo

WKR
Look at alot of folks on here. If I didnt know better, I would think it was near impossible to kill something without a tikka, 6xswfa, and some tmk's.

Ask a question or say something slightly different and folks spaz out. Pretty sad to be honest
Goodness… Based on your take, there must not be a single thread on here about building your dream custom R700, can I find a stock for my Ruger American, how much the ATF sucks at processing suppressor applications, what diameter barrel and what threads do I need for my suppressor, why isn’t my rifle accurate, what bullet should I use in my 300 Win mag for elk and prairie dogs, what chrono should I buy, why a lead sled sucks, and…. Oh nevermind.

Look at alot of folks on here. If I didnt know better, I would think it was near impossible to kill something without a tikka, 6xswfa, and some tmk's.

Ask a question or say something slightly different and folks spaz out. Pretty sad to be honest

I've found that the response generally depends on how the question is posed. If it includes the words fanboys, cult, or sheep, it generally gets the response worthy of a troll, which it deserves. Honest questions get honest answers.

surprisingly, a LRH poster contributed meaningfully over there. He was cutting apart different bullets, and had a good explanation with measurements to show how from a jacket profile, the sierra gameking (a bullet i love <3000 fps impact) is actually a lead tipped matchking, the tmk is the plastic tipped matchking, and the tipped gameking is actually a plastic tipped prohunter - a bullet i never really liked.

what's not surprising is when the intellect of someone's posts matches their screen name.

fwafwow

WKR
I mean, page 223 deserves a meme anyways.

View attachment 607007
Great meme. One of my favorite TV shows growing up! I have to give credit to him though, since he chose his RS handle based on that car.

He does indirectly raise a good question - do taco farts improve accuracy? I've often wondered if they scare deer away, but if they improve accuracy, then I'm all for them. With a bean burrito chaser. Time for a poll?

surprisingly, a LRH poster contributed meaningfully over there. He was cutting apart different bullets, and had a good explanation with measurements to show how from a jacket profile, the sierra gameking (a bullet i love <3000 fps impact) is actually a lead tipped matchking, the tmk is the plastic tipped matchking, and the tipped gameking is actually a plastic tipped prohunter - a bullet i never really liked.

what's not surprising is when the intellect of someone's posts matches their screen name.

I’m sure I’m not alone when I say .223 is not high on my list of cartridges I am going to choose for deer hunting.

Also, the Form fan boyism is impressive to watch.

xsn10s

WKR

It's becoming an echo chamber over there. If you disagree with a certain group the Alinsky tactics come out.

xsn10s

WKR
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say .223 is not high on my list of cartridges I am going to choose for deer hunting.

Also, the Form fan boyism is impressive to watch.
I wouldn't have considered a .223/5.56 a bear, deer, elk round. Maybe deer but certainly not anything bigger. But after looking at the terminal performance pictures on here I'm very surprised. People said the same thing about using Berger match bullets for hunting years ago. i kept an open mind then, I'll do so now.