.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
8ade80b11c988bfc34ce749cb75205b5.jpg

3e0c81eeee8ff61ec969bf5a99a40fad.jpg

Apparently all you need is a scoped Tikka .223, ammo and a cinder block to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe there's a bit of over thinking going on here. Its not difficult at all to get a couple of rounds into a deer before it tips over. There's often what I call the ".223 stagger" of a few seconds before an animal tips over. Mortally hit, dead on it feet. Follow up shot possible. Especially with lung shots which I tend to go for. No shame in a couple of shots..
I use Lee dies. Have never thought about them being "inferior" in any way. Its a pretty miserable .223 that cant do .75moa and every Tikka I have met has been well under that using Lee.

Rooggvc

WKR
I might need to off load the RPR and get the Rokslide Special .223 going. It would probably do a world of good for my shooting.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
One very important thing that doesn’t account for is whether or not a follow up shot is even possible. Due to the dramatically decreased recoil a 223 should allow for follow up shots way more frequently, whether they are needed or not. Not saying it’s a bad idea, but it may reflect poorly in the eyes of some when “I hit 3 times with a 223” even though the first shot was lethal, and the two follow up shots were possible purely because of the reduced recoil. On the other hand some of us will view that as evidence in favor of the dramatically increased shootability of small rounnds.
100% the opportunity exists to keep shooting and deliver more than one round into the vitals in a controlled fashion.

Shoot your game animals to the ground. Stay on the gun, run the gun, learn/correct from your first hit and keep shooting.

Extremely effective method for filling the freezer.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Im extremely pleased with my rough RSS. Trijicon accupoint 3-9 and 24.5grains of tac at mag length had an SD of 3fps over 3 rounds so I stopped there to not ruin my hopes. Was getting consistent hits out over 700 before my scope runs out of elevation. I dialed the accupoint for 70 rounds from bottomed out to 24moa above my zero and never felt like it wasn’t tracking correctly. Not enough for a novice like me to notice. 2833fps was my trued velocity from StrelokPro. Got DA using the same aviation chart Form has posted previously. Between strelok and a rough understanding of the altitude I was within the ballpark of a kestrel every time. I need a small thermometer on my pack or something.
Things I would change; 1. Sacrifice the weight of the scope for the tenmile FFP and a zero stop. I have my zero marked in number of revs from the bottom but it’s a hassle to do that repeatedly. 2. Try the tikka vertical grip. I might not like it for N.Idaho hunting situations. 3. I want a suppressor.
IMG_8376.jpeg

Im extremely pleased with my rough RSS. Trijicon accupoint 3-9 and 24.5grains of tac at mag length had an SD of 3fps over 3 rounds so I stopped there to not ruin my hopes. Was getting consistent hits out over 700 before my scope runs out of elevation. I dialed the accupoint for 70 rounds from bottomed out to 24moa above my zero and never felt like it wasn’t tracking correctly. Not enough for a novice like me to notice. 2833fps was my trued velocity from StrelokPro. Got DA using the same aviation chart Form has posted previously. Between strelok and a rough understanding of the altitude I was within the ballpark of a kestrel every time. I need a small thermometer on my pack or something.
Things I would change; 1. Sacrifice the weight of the scope for the tenmile FFP and a zero stop. I have my zero marked in number of revs from the bottom but it’s a hassle to do that repeatedly. 2. Try the tikka vertical grip. I might not like it for N.Idaho hunting situations. 3. I want a suppressor.
View attachment 588020

Boringly awesome rifle. :)

Kestrel DROP works well with Strelok. Then you just need range and guess the wind.

amassi

WKR
View attachment 588020

The vertical grip is still friendly for shooting offhand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbutcher1234

Lil-Rokslider
I have joined the tikka 223 club.... Once it gets back from being chopped and threaded, we'll see what all the fuss is about!

I normally hunt with a 6.5CM or a 308 (300NM if I know I am going to watch over very long pipeline cuts for Nilgai), so I am very excited to see how the tikka works. I've hunted with ar15's before and filled the freezer multiple times with gold dots, but the 77 tmk pics have me very excited for the rokslide special.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have joined the tikka 223 club.... Once it gets back from being chopped and threaded, we'll see what all the fuss is about!

I normally hunt with a 6.5CM or a 308 (300NM if I know I am going to watch over very long pipeline cuts for Nilgai), so I am very excited to see how the tikka works. I've hunted with ar15's before and filled the freezer multiple times with gold dots, but the 77 tmk pics have me very excited for the rokslide special.
I assure you that you’ll be smitten with the delivery system and impressed with the terminal performance and wound channels inside of 450 yds.
Recommend you go ahead and buy several thousand rounds of ammo now. Just sayin.

Tell

FNG
Shoot2HuntU
I read the whole thing from the beginning. Incredible thread. It took me a long time, but by the time I finished I had about 2,000 rounds ready to load up and a 223 bolt gun on the way.

Thanks to everyone who’s posted, and especially thanks to those who’ve taken the time to do necropsies. Now to get practicing Form’s field drill with my hunting gear on.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
The vertical grip is still friendly for shooting offhand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've worked in some lightweight vertical grip hunting stocks over the past couple of years and I'm starting to prefer them offhand. I think I'm slightly quicker on the bolt with them...though it's minor. I'm still fine with an open grip...and may still prefer it on movers (which I try to avoid)...but if given the choice now, I go with vertical.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Those of us who got the ABC “TMKs” anyone shot them into an animal to see if they act like a name brand TMK? Currently shooting through my 600 factory seconds and the ABC bullets will be in use by hunting season.

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
AAC tmk out of a Ruger MPR (18" AR-15). Seems about par for what I've seen so far in this thread with this ammo and coming out of an AR. Black hills for reference shot marginally better (1.5"ish) from what I remember. It will be fine for my purposes, whitetail under 200yds. Had no problems hitting steel out to 500 with it.Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-10 12_08_09.558244.jpg

Axlrod

WKR
I shot some ABC 77gr TM's and Sierra 77 TMK's yesterday. Gun is a T/C Contender Carbine with a 20" 8 twist SSK. Barrel & 16x SWFA. It has 230ish rounds on it. Load was the same for both bullets. L-C brass, 23.5 Gr. H4895, CCI 400. I shot 5 of each @ 100 yards into 3/4" target dots. Powder was weighed on a V4 Auto trickler.

I also shot both into pine logs and recovered them. The ABC penetrated 7.5" and weighed 62.4 gr, the Sierra penetrated 5" and weighed 51.2 gr. Shooting into logs in no way is representative of what happens in tissue. It's just something I used to do many years ago, when I was experimenting with cast bullet alloys for handgun hunting. In the handgun bullets, the ones that went farther in wood (retaining their original shape) would penetrate further in game.

Anyway I did this to try to determine if these are the same bullets. I am not convinced one way or another, but I do feel the ABC will preform as well as the Sierra's

Attachments

• 223A.jpg
    223A.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 223B.jpg
    223B.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 223c.jpg
    223c.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 223d.jpg
    223d.jpg