.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

I am really curious about the American Bullet company 77gr @ Creedmoor sports. I have loaded up a couple hundred w 24gr Varget and they seem to shoot fairly well. They shot well enough to order up another 500 to have on hand. I saw they had the og 77tmk in stock and jumped at the chance to pick up 500. I have been following and have read the entire thread. I know the American Bullet company 77gr have been talked about and even compared via cross section on here. Creedmoor sports answered a question stating that the ABC 77gr is very similar to the Sierra... does anyone have anymore data or knowledge about the ABC 77gr? are they seconds, or blems, or simply filling a void in the supply chain? I also have picked up any factory ammo i could find loaded w 77gr tmk, stand one, AAC, federal blue tip. My handloaded ABC 77gr have shot the best so far. I guess I'm curious how similar they are in their terminal performance??

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I am really curious about the American Bullet company 77gr @ Creedmoor sports. I have loaded up a couple hundred w 24gr Varget and they seem to shoot fairly well. They shot well enough to order up another 500 to have on hand. I saw they had the og 77tmk in stock and jumped at the chance to pick up 500. I have been following and have read the entire thread. I know the American Bullet company 77gr have been talked about and even compared via cross section on here. Creedmoor sports answered a question stating that the ABC 77gr is very similar to the Sierra... does anyone have anymore data or knowledge about the ABC 77gr? are they seconds, or blems, or simply filling a void in the supply chain? I also have picked up any factory ammo i could find loaded w 77gr tmk, stand one, AAC, federal blue tip. My handloaded ABC 77gr have shot the best so far. I guess I'm curious how similar they are in their terminal performance??
Bought 500 as well if the ABC 77s. Would love to know if someone has done some testing.

Well, I can say nothing but positive things about Creedmoor Sports. Ordered yesterday afternoon, showed up at my door this morning. It helps that I am only two states away (AL to SC), but still. Guess I need to get off my ass and get the long throated .223 barrel going.

robtattoo

WKR
Just need to figure out what I want to get for 223 dies.

I'm sure some will laugh at me, but I've had nothing but spectacular results from my Lee dies. I think they were about $30 on Amazon.
Or I got them at a swapmeet. Either way, they were cheap as anything & I've probably loaded north of 20k rounds with only 1 replacement decapping pin needed (Berdan primed 5.56? Really?

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Color me "anxious" to try out my Rokslide Special on deer and elk !!

Here's a thought: How about accounting for every shot you fire at an animal with the 223/TMK combo?
First shot hit or miss? Vitals or wounding? Follow up shots?

I believe (forgive me form ;) ) the rate of first shot fatal hits and similar follow up shots will be higher than practically every higher recoiling round but, as this thread attempts to show, evidence trumps belief.

I'd like to see the same for the big bang supporters.

Of course there are variables we probably can't quantify such as more experienced/skilled
shooters shooting larger calibers vs beginners shooting 223, etc. Even so, that would be an interesting comparison.

Maybe a seperate thread where anyone shooting any cartridge can "bare their soul" ?

a) Good idea?
b) Bad Idea?
c) stfu fng?

I'm sure some will laugh at me, but I've had nothing but spectacular results from my Lee dies. I think they were about $30 on Amazon.
Or I got them at a swapmeet. Either way, they were cheap as anything & I've probably loaded north of 20k rounds with only 1 replacement decapping pin needed (Berdan primed 5.56? Really?

I’ve had no reason to use anything other than RCBS dies for all of my rifles.

I normally just go with rcbs basic dies for everything. Wasn't sure if I'd need an eld type seating stem for the tmk or not. I saw Hornady offers one for their dies. I've tried lee recently for 350 legend and 450 bushmaster and they seemed fine too. I don't think I'll need anything fancy since it will pretty much be set for the one bullet and then left there

N2TRKYS

WKR
I normally just go with rcbs basic dies for everything. Wasn't sure if I'd need an eld type seating stem for the tmk or not. I saw Hornady offers one for their dies. I've tried lee recently for 350 legend and 450 bushmaster and they seemed fine too. I don't think I'll need anything fancy since it will pretty much be set for the one bullet and then left there
I guess I’ll find out in the next couple of days if I’ll need something different for the tmks. 🤞

amassi

WKR

No laugh at all
Does are some of the biggest waste of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good dies are not a waste of money, they're an investment into what makes straight ammo. Cheap dies simply are not made to the same tolerances as higher end ones. I did a lot of testing of ammo loaded on different dies and presses during the stages of loading with a concentricity gauge and they absolutely do make a difference which translates into more accurate ammo. Forster and Redding dies consistently produced the straightest cases and loaded ammo.

amassi

WKR
If your measuring concentricity then sure you’ll be happier with bougie dies. You probably suffer sleepless nights over sd/es and measure the seating force on your MacBook and have a $650 cps primer measuring primer depth
The effects on target are minimal ala waste of money

amassi

WKR
If your measuring concentricity then sure you’ll be happier with bougie dies. You probably suffer sleepless nights over sd/es and measure the seating force on your MacBook and have a $650 cps primer measuring primer depth
The effects on target are minimal ala waste of money

You should go over to accurate shooter or snipershide and educate everyone about how straight ammo and low ES/SD's make no difference on target. Or better yet show up at a match and get educated.

amassi

WKR
Cool - since we’re not shooting f class irrelevant but
Why don’t you educate us?
What is the difference in moa per es/sd ?
How about concentricity?
Then what is that difference between a Redding die ($49) and a forester die($119)
Obviously it’s measurable and repeatable so enlighten us unwashed masses

The difference is shooting groups in the .1's at 100 yards and putting rounds in the same splash on an IPSC at 1000 yards vs just hitting it.

If you're happy with 1MOA then carry on with cheap dies. I personally want to know my round is going to be as accurate as can be when I send a round at something because stacking variables is how you miss or make poor shots.