.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
New to the .223 world… (***Note: FNG status 😔)

Found a site selling 5 bullet TMK sample packs, so I bought all 85 bullets.($$$ OUCH!)
I am now the proud possessor of a limited supply to work up a load, while retaining enough for hunting this fall.
I’ve been looking for months and find ZEEERO 8208, regardless of my willingness to trade both kidneys.
I do have Varget (slowish…), CFE223, & BL-C(2). I’m seeing a site with IMR 4895 (Faster….) in stock.

I’m an East Coaster, and it’s hard to imagine a shot over 300 yards. Thinking peak velocity isn’t key, as terminal velocity that enables bullet upset is easily with reach. So planning to start with the Varget, as it has a reputation for reasonably small groups.

Am I seeing this right?

Found a site selling 5 bullet TMK sample packs, so I bought all 85 bullets.($$$ OUCH!)
I am now the proud possessor of a limited supply to work up a load, while retaining enough for hunting this fall.
I’ve been looking for months and find ZEEERO 8208, regardless of my willingness to trade both kidneys.
I do have Varget (slowish…), CFE223, & BL-C(2). I’m seeing a site with IMR 4895 (Faster….) in stock.

I’m an East Coaster, and it’s hard to imagine a shot over 300 yards. Thinking peak velocity isn’t key, as terminal velocity that enables bullet upset is easily with reach. So planning to start with the Varget, as it has a reputation for reasonably small groups.

Am I seeing this right?
Load to mag length and 24.5 grains of Varget. You’ll be happy. Not the fastest combo but it’s damn accurate and perfectly terminal out to 300.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks… I was trying to figure out a way to shorten lop on my 233 without putting it in a chassis, I want to keep this one light, but also want to make it functional for my daughter

I was looking at ideas for changing LOP on the tikkas and came across these threads on 24-hour campfire. They both have a variety of suggestions that may be helpful, including some photos. Not sure if you’re open to modifying the stock you have but would probably be easier to obtain and more affordable than other options.

Am I seeing this right?

TAC has been readily available and works well. As a bonus it meters great too. I hear it can be somewhat temperature sensitive but I haven't seen that to be an issue shooting from 30-100 degrees (I live in the Southeast). I bought 4 pounds of 8208 XBR at the same time I bought TAC just in case but haven't opened any of the XBR as I've been pleased with TAC.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for TAC. I load to 2.260 on top of 24 grains of TAC. I tried 24.5 but the accuracy wasn't any better. YMMV.

This is exactly what I found as well. Worked great with 77TMKs and 75g BTHPs. I’ll be loading some 77SMKs for target practice soon and suspect it will be the same for them as well.

TAC functions, but my chopped Tikka isn't giving quite the accuracy I have been looking for. pursuing a couple of hazmat free changes to the stock/bedding/scope to see if I can get the 10 round average down to 1.25 MOA with 75 bthps and 77 tmks, because right now my 10 round average with the 75 bthp, LC brass, and 24.3 gr TAC is 1.85 MOA.

Juan_ID

WKR
1685144390049.gif
I thought it would take me longer to miss the 223… Well when one popped up I found it morally irresponsible to not try and snag it. I mean I still have over 1k 77 tmk’s, what was I supposed to do with those? Sell em and regert it forever?? I think not! 🥲
37F6865B-B411-4DF9-B422-D3BA9585E248.jpeg
Now to decide where to cut the barrel… I’m thinking 16.5 or 18… 🤔

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Will a compact stock fit a regular tikka?
It definitely will I picked up a compact stock to put on my .223 tikka for my kiddo. Fit perfectly. If you need a different recoil pad on the compact stock, the Ruger American Compact limbsaver model will work with very minor modification. Standard tikka limbsaver pad is too big for compact stock. Probably not needed for a .223 but if for something bigger could be a factor.

It definitely will I picked up a compact stock to put on my .223 tikka for my kiddo. Fit perfectly. If you need a different recoil pad on the compact stock, the Ruger American Compact limbsaver model will work with very minor modification. Standard tikka limbsaver pad is too big for compact stock. Probably not needed for a .223 but if for something bigger could be a factor.
I may do it anyway just to make it as absolutely tame as possible for my daughter. Want to keep it as stock as possible while still fitting her ok, and I want to keep it on the lighter side. Putting a 2.5-10x NXS on it. Won’t be hard to shoot light, but not heavy either… it will my dedicated lion gun, and I’m sure I’ll want to shoot some other stuff with it too to add to this thread 😉

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I may do it anyway just to make it as absolutely tame as possible for my daughter. Want to keep it as stock as possible while still fitting her ok, and I want to keep it on the lighter side. Putting a 2.5-10x NXS on it. Won’t be hard to shoot light, but not heavy either… it will my dedicated lion gun, and I’m sure I’ll want to shoot some other stuff with it too to add to this thread 😉
My 5 year old has no problem shooting for several hours with a SWFA scope. It’s a little heavy for him to carry and weld safely, but he can operate the safety, bolt, and trigger just fine. Compact stock is super great. Trying to add to the thread if I can get eyes on a spring bear here in the Oregon coast range over the next few days…

TML75

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Is anyone else finding bullet fragments in their meat using 77 tmks? We found them in meatballs and our sticks. I thought I cut out the area that was obviously damaged; but I guess I missed some. We are by no means experts at processing, so it could definitely be our fault.

Juan_ID

WKR
I am wanting to put an nxs on mine too, chop to 16 or so, Hyperion k and a nxs 2.5-10. Think it will make for an awesome little critter getter!

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is anyone else finding bullet fragments in their meat using 77 tmks? We found them in meatballs and our sticks. I thought I cut out the area that was obviously damaged; but I guess I missed some. We are by no means experts at processing, so it could definitely be our fault.

You have to trim heavily. The thought process of saving every last price of scrap isn’t conducive to good meat.

BLJ

WKR

I haven’t personally found any, but I can see that as being a detrimental trait with that style of bullet.

Has anyone chronod the Federal T223TTMK3 Tactical LE 77gr TMK? I have some on the way to try in my 223 bolt gun with a 20” Proof. They list it at 2730fps but don’t specify barrel length and sometimes they use a 16” barrel for the data. Just looking for a ballpark to true from since my chrono is 1000 miles away.