.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

limerock

FNG
Thanks to @Formidilosus and everyone for a very informative thread.

I saw these Federal Tactical 77 TMK was in stock and ordered some. Although blue rather than green tip seems like the same TMK. Hope it helps someone looking.

I just received mine in the mail. Pretty fast shipping.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
20221230_111717.jpg
Crappy cell phone pic, but another data point for those that are plagued with powder availability issues like me up in northern BC. I haven't been able to find any of the more popular powders for heavy bullet .223 loads so I pulled down my Lee manual to have a look. Imr 4064 was listed as the seventh fastest powder under the 75gr heading. I have a decent supply of it so I decided to give it a shot.
73gr eld-m
24 grains imr 4064 (max listed)
S&B once fired factory brass ( heavy cases compared to federal /winchester. .. thus load was heavily compressed)
C.O.L 2.285"
Fed 205 primer
20 shot group
1 5/8" vertical
1 3/8" horizontal
17 shots into 1 1/4"

The outliers are most likely the rifles cone of fire... but knowing my own ability at this point they could have been me.
Conditions were -6 Celsius, overcast, gusting variable wind.

I am tickled pink at these results. Next up is to load 50 more and wait for a calm day to test at 400 yds to true up my velocity as I don't have access to a chronograph.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Its model number is JRTXB315. Says 1:8” twist on the Tikka website, I can measure its true twist once it arrives if anyone is curious.

As far as where to find it, I just went to gun.deals and did a search. Ended up purchasing it from Dack Outdoors. Actually just searched right now and it seems several places have them.

Hope this helps!

Add me to the list of curious parties. There is definitely some chatter around the intertubes about this change, and its a blanket change to all 243 t3x' models going to 8 twist. Lets hope its real!

Floridave

FNG
Just adding some data to my previous post now that I have some ballistic data. This year I used my 223 for the first time as a deer rifle. This came about last minute for various reasons, and I quickly threw together a load using the 77tmk that turned out to be very accurate so I went with it. 2 deer taken, complete success.

Now that I’ve had time to take that load to the chronograph and do some analysis I realize it was traveling much slower than I thought. 2 shots, 2 deer so can’t argue with success. I’m actually glad to know these velocities can achieve this result, so as I push these velocities, I extend range.

Based on chrono I was shooting 77tmk muzzle velocity of 2564. Yea, slower than I thought.

Deer 1 at 154 yards so approximately 2223fps
Deer 2 at 70 yards so approximately 2392fps

Deer 1 DRT
Deer 2 - 40 yard dash and down.

I plan to work my load up to at least 2750 starting, but these impact velocities and their positive results are good info to me as I project the velocities at distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurley88

FNG
Add me to the list of curious parties. There is definitely some chatter around the intertubes about this change, and its a blanket change to all 243 t3x' models going to 8 twist. Lets hope its real!
Should have it before the end of January; I’ll post the results as soon as I measure. Didn’t know there had been chatter…just looked, saw, and grabbed it lol. Fingers crossed!

Degrease everything, red loctite or epoxy the underside of rail, blue loctite the screws.

Any of the good standard pic rings. NF Ultralights, Warne Mountain Tech, etc.

Loctite 620 would be a much better choice for the underside of a Tikka rail. It’s a gap filler/retaining compound primarily used in bearing applications but works great for glueing and filling gaps as that’s what it’s designed. It’s used for bedding AR15 barrels and I also use it for bedding mounting plates as well. Red loctite is a thread locking compound so while it can work somewhat in those applications it’s not what it’s designed for and doesn’t work as well as 620. I used to bed my AR15 extensions with red high temp but it’s night and day how the 620 fills and holds.

mt100gr.

WKR
Loctite 620 would be a much better choice for the underside of a Tikka rail. It’s a gap filler/retaining compound primarily used in bearing applications but works great for glueing and filling gaps as that’s what it’s designed. It’s used for bedding AR15 barrels and I also use it for bedding mounting plates as well. Red loctite is a thread locking compound so while it can work somewhat in those applications it’s not what it’s designed for and doesn’t work as well as 620. I used to bed my AR15 extensions with red high temp but it’s night and day how the 620 fills and holds.
Good info. Can the 620 be released?

I have a great load for the 75 ELDM and a couple thousand bullets. Is the 77 TMK so much better that I should abandon the ELDM, search for the more-expensive and scarce TMK, and start over?

P

I have a great load for the 75 ELDM and a couple thousand bullets. Is the 77 TMK so much better that I should abandon the ELDM, search for the more-expensive and scarce TMK, and start over?

P

For what I have read, it just depends on how much penetration you want. The TMK seems to consistently out penetrate it, not by a lot tho.

That's from reading, don't have enough personal experience to say anything otherwise. I don't think I'd abandon the eldms tho.

For what I have read, it just depends on how much penetration you want. The TMK seems to consistently out penetrate it, not by a lot tho.

That's from reading, don't have enough personal experience to say anything otherwise. I don't think I'd abandon the eldms tho.

Thanks. I’d be using it for deer only, not legal for elk in Oregon.

P

FLS

WKR

P
No, the 75 ELDM works great on deer and are more accurate out of my CTR than the TMK. I load them long and push them fast with a stout charge of Varget. Even better is the fact that they’re available.

Last edited:
No, the 75 ELDM works great on deer and are more accurate out of my CTR than the TMK. I load them long and push them fast with a stout charge of Varget. Even better is the fact that they’re available.

I’m using TAC for 3100 fps. It’s a little aggressIve but I’m loading really long as well.

P

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
I use TAC with the 77 SMKs with great results. Never tried it with the ELDMs. The Varget load was recommended by a friend and shot so well I never looked any farther.

Took a doe with a Black Hills 77gr TMK at 100 yards out of a 12.5 bbl. Dropped her right there, quick kill. No exit wound which seemed odd, a lot of the pics and stories on here have soft ball size exit wounds. Anyone else have no exit?
20221230_181346.jpg

amassi

WKR
Dad just picked up a Roughtech Ember in 243. Twist rate was not marked on the barrel. Using a cleaning rod it was confirmed to be an 8 twist. Model # JRTXRBS315. Apparently they’re showing up.
Interesting they didn't mark the barrel. All the other Calibers they have multiple twist rates are stamped. Suppose you could load up some a 108s and check er out

BLJ

WKR
Agreed on the lack of stamping on the barrel. It’s a first for me.
Probably try 108’s in the spring.