.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

bnsafe

WKR
ok, im not gonna read 5000 posts to find this so please dont rip me. what powder, primer, loads you guys that are handloading use for the tmk's. I totally admit I never read this thread cause I cant do the 223 for moose thing. But, I have read enuf to try the tmk's. I just build a tikka 308 but the recoil hurts my cervical stenosis so thinking I might go the 223 route this year or next. I would prefer to buy something factory but can reload a hundred or so.

ianpadron

WKR
Guess I can add another data point for the 88 ELDm and 223AI. If there are typos, my bad. It’s 2 am and I am having a gin before a shower after just walking in the house from a successful moose hunt.

Here in North East BC we have a pair of 2 day moose seasons - Oct 25/26 and Nov 10/11. Only open for spike/fork, tripalm, or ten points.
Had a pretty good idea of where I wanted to go for the day, same place as last year where myself and my hunting partner shot a pair of 2 points about 30 seconds apart. I poked an 88 ELDm through the shoulders of mine and he was down at the shot.

This year I had to cut a trail around a bunch of blowdown from forest fires this summer (well, actually they are still burning here where I was) so I didn’t get into the cutblock until 3:30pm.
4pm found a pretty reasonable bull about 600 yards out, but there was a lot of willow and alder between us so I cut some distance.
Tripalm 10 point walked into a small opening at 166 yards quartering to me so I put an 88 into the point of his shoulder. He three legged hopped about 10 yards, and was broadside so I gave him a second one through the lungs because I think that the shooting is the fun part.
Two or three wobbly steps and he went down.
1st one absolutely smashed the front knuckle to bits (that quarter folds in the middle when trying to move it around) and turned the onside lung to jelly. Second poke broke ribs on the entrance, both lungs gooey, and found part of the bullet in the muscle at the back of the offside shoulder. Some lead shrapnel was embedded in the ribs inside the cavity, but that could have been either shot.
Gangsta

ok, im not gonna read 5000 posts to find this so please dont rip me. what powder, primer, loads you guys that are handloading use for the tmk's. I totally admit I never read this thread cause I cant do the 223 for moose thing. But, I have read enuf to try the tmk's. I just build a tikka 308 but the recoil hurts my cervical stenosis so thinking I might go the 223 route this year or next. I would prefer to buy something factory but can reload a hundred or so.

8208, TAC, and AR Comp have all given me good results using heavy bullets in the .223 and in my 6X45. I stick to CCI primers. I also prefer Winchester brass. I have used Federal without issue, but find that I can get a few more loadings from Win brass.

fwafwow

WKR
For those who don't roll their own, has anyone compared Stand 1 Armory 223 77gr TMKs vs Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMKs?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those who don't roll their own, has anyone compared Stand 1 Armory 223 77gr TMKs vs Black Hills 5.56 77gr TMKs?
It's in this thread. They shoot well.

Randy

fwafwow

WKR
It's in this thread. They shoot well.

Randy

Thanks!

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running 73 ELDM or 77tmks out of a mini 14? Wasn't sure how stability of the 1 in 9 twist was. I know a guy selling one and thought about it, but it's not as appealing if it's not going to shoot heavies.

Old Dog

FNG
The ELDM might be ok but the 77 grain could be a problem out of a 1-9. As for the rifle itself it really depends if it is one of the early ones or a more recent mini. The early one's had accuracy issues as soon as the barrel warmed up. I had one I bought in the early 80s and it was very accurate with a cold bore and maybe 2 additional rounds then it would walk the following rounds up vertically. I ended up selling it and never bought another one. I've heard the newer ones are much improved however usually you can find an AR for less money than a mini and it will be more accurate.

But as far as handling I liked that rifle a lot.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
The ELDM might be ok but the 77 grain could be a problem out of a 1-9. As for the rifle itself it really depends if it is one of the early ones or a more recent mini. The early one's had accuracy issues as soon as the barrel warmed up. I had one I bought in the early 80s and it was very accurate with a cold bore and maybe 2 additional rounds then it would walk the following rounds up vertically. I ended up selling it and never bought another one. I've heard the newer ones are much improved however usually you can find an AR for less money than a mini and it will be more accurate.

But as far as handling I liked that rifle a lot.
This is probably a 2018 or so version. The guy got it as a raffle ticket winner back then and just wants to get the cash value he could have gotten at the time. Probably 750 bucks at most. I was going to see if he wanted to trade something else I don't use for it. Side note; I live in a nanny state so getting certain things while you can is always on my mind.

LiveFire

FNG
This is probably a 2018 or so version. The guy got it as a raffle ticket winner back then and just wants to get the cash value he could have gotten at the time. Probably 750 bucks at most. I was going to see if he wanted to trade something else I don't use for it. Side note; I live in a nanny state so getting certain things while you can is always on my mind.
Ive owned a couple. $750 will build you a far superior ar15. Dont waste your time with it.

LiveFire

FNG
Has anyone used the 77gr abc on game yet? Is there a consensus on it being a rebranded tmk?
The precision rifle media podcast june 29th of this year had Brent the owner of creedmoor sports on. I suggest listening to it but yes they are sierra bullets repackaged. Not seconds, he claims they are just repackaged.

fwafwow

WKR
First hunting shot with my new RSS. 73gr ELD-M out of 16.5" barrel. Mature doe slightly quartering to at 85 yards. Ran zero yards. External entrance wound almost completely invisible. Pictured below - entry wound from inside chest (no exit), brass from prior kills in the blind ("which one of these is not like the others?") and others.IMG_0861.jpeg
IMG_0864.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpegIMG_0863.jpeg

Last edited:

Thegman

WKR
Three more results with the 77 TMK on Sitka Blacktail. All three dropped when hit and tumbled down the mountain sides. Two required kill shots when found, from bullet placement, but not bullet performance.

Don't have tons of field pics because as usual, was trying to get finished before I had to deal with a brown bear (we ran into at least 7 up close over 8 days of hunting...but only one for me personally).

First buck, big bodied old fork at about 300 yards. Took out both lungs and somehow blew a hole up through the spine as well. Recovered the back of the jacket and a bit of lead against the offside hide.20231023_122353.jpg

Lungs
Resized_20231023_123526(1).jpeg

Entrance side

Resized_20231026_154357.jpeg

Far side

Resized_20231026_154407.jpeg

Hole up through spine

Resized_20231026_154413.jpeg