.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Tmac

WKR
I would argue that a hand count of the vote (non manipulated) may display otherwise.
Doubt it here. Majority of population is PDX to Eugene. Loonys galore. Been borderline nuts for many years, has only gotten worse. What have we had, only one R I can recall, elected to statewide office in what, 15-20 years? OR is lost for the foreseeable future as far as a sane place politically.

The verbiage I get is a mature bull has a much more robust structure. Bones are significantly bigger and musculature is significantly more dense, therefore a hunter need more power.

I don’t buy it.

P
I think it has more to do with people trying to argue their point when they run out of logical reasoning

id_jon

WKR
Not a 223 rem, but figured I'd link my 22cm experience. Also, when I was removing one of the shoulders, I made some wrong cuts, encountering resistance, realized I was cutting through the top of the scapula, good thing my knife is a magnum or it would have bounced off.

Shot a bull elk tuesday morning. 88gr ELD-m, 2860 at the muzzle. 489 yards, broadside. Shot him twice, he managed turned himself around, I considered sending a third round, but he collapsed right as I decided he didn't need it. He made it maybe 3 yards from where he stood when I shot, and that was mostly gravity. Onside shoulder a little bloodshot, but not too bad. Offside shoulder was clean, never found any fragments or jacket. Didn't dig too deep, he died on a south face in the sun, so I was in a bit of a hurry.

Tikka stainless with a Preferred prefit, in a Stockys VG, NF Atacr 4-16 Mil C. Tripod set up just high enough to clear the brush.IMG_20231017_092532877.jpgIMG_20231017_093818322.jpgIMG_20231017_095227895.jpgIMG_20231017_091336338.jpg

Last edited:

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter shot a little buck Saturday. AAC 77 tmk/Tikka.
200 yds, below us and quartered away. Bullet slipped in above gut bag but behind diaphragm and angled through 1 lung. Buck made it about 100 yds and tipped over.
Found projectile under offside hide it looked like a partition or something like that. I assume because it was such a small body and the bullet didn’t meet much resistance that it didn’t upset as violent as they normally do.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Probably been beat to death here.
Altho I haven't seen the exact question. Even after reading the whole thread(could have forgotten)
Does anyone have much experience with the 80eldm at 223 velocities? I'm guessing a good killing bullet maybe a little less penetration that 77 tmk?
There price and availability kinda looks appealing.
Just see a lot about 73 and 75's. Not much on the 80's

The Guide

WKR
Altho I haven't seen the exact question. Even after reading the whole thread(could have forgotten)
Does anyone have much experience with the 80eldm at 223 velocities? I'm guessing a good killing bullet maybe a little less penetration that 77 tmk?
Who makes loaded ammo with the 80 Eldm? I see no option for purchase on any of the sites I frequent. I think the 75 Eldm is too long to be magazine fed and not take up a bunch of powder room so I'm sure the 80 is way longer.

Jay

chamois

FNG
My experience with the 80gr ELDM is limited but his behaviour is quite similar to their 75gr. If I were to establish a difference between the two I would say the 80gr penetrates more with less damage than the 75gr.
Muzzle speeds in my 5,6x50R are 2,840 and 2,930.
77gr TMK penetrates as much and with more damage.
ch1_2023.jpg
Here is a Chamois I shot with it last week in the French Alps. Distance was 250 meters ca. 275 yds. Bullet passed through biting the rear section of both scapulas. It did not touch the spine and the Chamois was dead before reaching the ground.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Who makes loaded ammo with the 80 Eldm? I see no option for purchase on any of the sites I frequent. I think the 75 Eldm is too long to be magazine fed and not take up a bunch of powder room so I'm sure the 80 is way longer.

Jay
Was just thinking for hand loading.
Willing to ream the throat out to seat em properly if they were a worth while bullet.
Probably still better off spending the extra money on tmks.
Weird to be all emotional about it but I do like Hornady as a company. Which means something I think..

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My experience with the 80gr ELDM is limited but his behaviour is quite similar to their 75gr. If I were to establish a difference between the two I would say the 80gr penetrates more with less damage than the 75gr.
Muzzle speeds in my 5,6x50R are 2,840 and 2,930.
77gr TMK penetrates as much and with more damage.
View attachment 616093
Here is a Chamois I shot with it last week in the French Alps. Distance was 250 meters ca. 275 yds. Bullet passed through biting the rear section of both scapulas. It did not touch the spine and the Chamois was dead before reaching the ground.
What rifle is that?

The Guide

WKR
Was just thinking for hand loading.
Willing to ream the throat out to seat em properly if they were a worth while bullet.
Probably still better off spending the extra money on tmks.
Weird to be all emotional about it but I do like Hornady as a company. Which means something I think..
I just think the 80 ELDM is better suited for a bigger cartridge with enough mag length and internal capacity to push the bullet appropriate speeds. The 22 Creedmoor, 22 GT, or any of the bigger 22 centerfire cases would be a better fit for that bullet than the 223.

Jay

chamois

FNG
What rifle is that?
It is a break open single shot made by Blaser, their K95 model. Single shots like this are popular in Europe for stalking, mostly in Central Europe in countries like Germany and Austria where they refer to them as "kipplaufs".
They are light, and accurate, and barrels for different cartridges are fully interchangeable. Their overall length is far shorter than any bolt rifle since they save the length of the action.
Broken down they will fit in a backpack, leaving your hands free, and will fit in a small hardcase, making them very convenient when travelling with them.
I almost don't use any other guns when stalking.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
On a t3 223 you can run the 80eldm without modifying the throat or BM if you get a Waters Mag that allows for 2.6 coal. Although with the factory throat the 80eldm touch’s the lands at 2.440” but I can still run them comfortably at 2650fps in a 16” Bbl.

I have only shot one deer with them so far at 150yards that was a full pass through with a half inch exit. I think they will handle deer sized game without issue as I’ve got full pass throughs with 53gr v max out to 200 yards on deer in a 26” Bbl

xsn10s

WKR
On a t3 223 you can run the 80eldm without modifying the throat or BM if you get a Waters Mag that allows for 2.6 coal. Although with the factory throat the 80eldm touch’s the lands at 2.440” but I can still run them comfortably at 2650fps in a 16” Bbl.

I have only shot one deer with them so far at 150yards that was a full pass through with a half inch exit. I think they will handle deer sized game without issue as I’ve got full pass throughs with 53gr v max out to 200 yards on deer in a 26” Bbl
You got full pass through on deer with the 53 vmax? I got one on a coyote at 94 yards with my HBAR, but it surprises me on deer. Impressive for a such a small/ light bullet.

Hthunter

FNG
Not a 223 rem, but figured I'd link my 22cm experience. Also, when I was removing one of the shoulders, I made some wrong cuts, encountering resistance, realized I was cutting through the top of the scapula, good thing my knife is a magnum or it would have bounced off.

Shot a bull elk tuesday morning. 88gr ELD-m, 2860 at the muzzle. 489 yards, broadside. Shot him twice, he managed turned himself around, I considered sending a third round, but he collapsed right as I decided he didn't need it. He made it maybe 3 yards from where he stood when I shot, and that was mostly gravity. Onside shoulder a little bloodshot, but not too bad. Offside shoulder was clean, never found any fragments or jacket. Didn't dig too deep, he died on a south face in the sun, so I was in a bit of a hurry.

Tikka stainless with a Preferred prefit, in a Stockys VG, NF Atacr 4-16 Mil C. Tripod set up just high enough to clear the brush.View attachment 615763View attachment 615764View attachment 615765View attachment 615762
Nice setup

nobody

WKR
Ugh. I just need to go pick up one of the Stainless Tikka’s already. I’ve got them found, I have a 6.5 CTR I can let go of in the process, I could literally have one by the end of the day. Heck I even have a scope and rings already. I just need to bite the bullet and do it. Love seeing this thread being updated!