.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

And there are a bunch of 77gr HBPT Match kings in the area. I’m half tempted to get some of those and get some dope put together. I imagine I’ll be able to find some TMK by October and then just tweak/rework the dope. Snow is starting to melt and I’m starting to get restless

I shoot the 77HPBT for practice as (like you said) they are readily available and the TMK I have are reserved for game.

Thanks. I think I’ve seen TAC around and lever revolution. I do have IMR4895 if I can’t find anything else

TAC is readily available and has been reasonably temp stable for me. I do have 4 pounds of 8208 XBR of the same lot just sitting on the shelf unopened because TAC has been great.

Do you find the ballistics the same (wind drift and drop)

Out of my rifle they shoot to the same zero at 100 yards and hold to about a tenth of a mil or so of each other out to 300 yards. Haven't compared them farther than that. I use same powder charge for both (24.5 grains TAC) and same COAL (2.26 I believe).

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
To no one in particular-

You’re pole vaulting over mouse turds. Take a 77gr TMK, put 23.7gr (or 23.5or 23.3gr) of 8208 in a case (any case), with any standard SR primer, seat it to 2.26” COAL, shoot. That’s it. That combo has shot well in every single 223/5.56 we’ve tried it in.
Is this unique to a gas gun? Would you run the same COAL in a Tikka. Varget?

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
That applies to tikkas as well as the mags are very limiting in regards to coal…
Mountian Tactical .223 mags get you 2.6 COAL… maybe this is where the pole vaulting comment stems from (overthinking)

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Mountian Tactical .223 mags get you 2.6 COAL… maybe this is where the pole vaulting comment stems from (overthinking)
Maybe so, I questioned a lot of things when I first got my 223 but I don’t think it really matters. If you have the ability to load long and want to then do it, if you don’t want to then load em to 2.26” and shoot’em.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Where does one start and stop with leverevolution? What kind of temp range is it sensitive in? The extreme ends of hot or cold?

It’s not terrible. I would work up the load or check it at least in the hottest weather you will shoot in. Then check velocity in the coldest, though it won’t change enough to really matter in 223 ranges.

Axlrod

WKR
I have a hunch if you called or emailed Sierra that they would tell you when they anticipate another production batch. If they are in tune with demand, the next batch should be in the works, and it should be a very large quantity.
A few years ago I called Sierra to see when more of their new bullets would be available. Don't remember what they called them, they were black with a blue tip. Anyway the guy on the phone said hold on the production manager is right here. I could here their conversation, the guy said they are running them now, will ship next month. It was 2 years before any were available. I would have zero confidence in anything anyone from Sierra said.

How does the Nosler 77gr Match ammo compare to the smk?

About the same, I've shot numerous coyotes and groundhogs with SMK's and CC's and they just pencil through. TMK is the way to go, and the Berger 77gr OTM does pretty well too at higher impact velocities.

robtattoo

WKR
I'm headed to south Texas next week for a few days of spot & stalk hog hunting. My .223 is coming along for a couple of spots with longer shot options & to try a few sits.
Fingers crossed & I'll report back later with some autopsy shots.

Reactions: Stu

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Greentophuntfish has Seirra 69gr TMK 500ct for $159.77 shipped. They also have .308 168gr TMKs in 500ct and 100ct as of today (3/25/23). I’ve ordered from them plenty and they are good to go.