.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Marshfly

WKR
Alright, so I have Black Hills TMKs headed my way. Supposedly tomorrow according to UPS. Headed to the range with this thing Friday for a Muley hunt next week.

Say they don't get here. I can get ELD-M 73gr locally. Its that the play if the TMKs don't arrive?

Edit to add that I can get the Federal Fusion 62gr also. That may be the play

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
You guys suck. Such a bad influence.

7fe3b579e832a9a07e7515df615c9bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that a 12ā€ twist?

You guys suck. Such a bad influence.

7fe3b579e832a9a07e7515df615c9bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Donā€™t feel bad, they got me too. I cannot hunt with my usual rifle this season due to a medical issue, so I finally caved and got one after about two years of back and forth with myself. I think my wife felt bad for me as I was scrambling to rig up an AR for the season and she told me to just go and get it. Couple years of Cabelas points came in clutch.

How are you setting yours up?

Not going to comment on the price, as I have not tracked it in recent timesā€¦ but in stock alert for Black Hills TMK.

By case:

And per box:

The magic number for free shipping appears to be $250. Godspeed.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
Donā€™t feel bad, they got me too. I cannot hunt with my usual rifle this season due to a medical issue, so I finally caved and got one after about two years of back and forth with myself. I think my wife felt bad for me as I was scrambling to rig up an AR for the season and she told me to just go and get it. Couple years of Cabelas points came in clutch.

How are you setting yours up?
I have Um rings coming tomorrow, hopefully. The old Howa has an SWFA 6X MOA that will be pilfered for the project.

If the UM rings don't make it, I have a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 in UM rings on my kid's Tikka that will be borrowed for temporary service.

I have Um rings coming tomorrow, hopefully. The old Howa has an SWFA 6X MOA that will be pilfered for the project.

If the UM rings don't make it, I have a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 in UM rings on my kid's Tikka that will be borrowed for temporary service.

Both options sound great. My UM rings came very quickly. Big fan of them, very well made and quite beefy. It was nice to skip the rail setup on a rifle for a change. Good luck this season.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Not going to comment on the price, as I have not tracked it in recent timesā€¦ but in stock alert for Black Hills TMK.

By case:

And per box:

The magic number for free shipping appears to be $250. Godspeed.

Having just bought a few boxes of this ammo from them, 4 boxes will get you to free shipping. I'm resisting a case until I get the ammo tested to make sure it's loved and groups acceptably.

Marshfly

WKR
Having just bought a few boxes of this ammo from them, 4 boxes will get you to free shipping. I'm resisting a case until I get the ammo tested to make sure it's loved and groups acceptably.
That's my plan. I have 50 rounds of Black Hills TMK coming today and I'll pick up a box each of 73 ELD-M and 62 Fed Fusion and see what the gun likes best. Those should all do the job if I put them where I should.

Same thing I did. Brand new Tikka, want to test them out. Eventually I'll suck it up and grab a case, but at some point I might just start my reloading journey with 223. I shoot a lot of 77gr OTM stuff as it is.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
I feel like I asked this and just missed the answer or flat forgot, how much weight retention are y'all seeing for these 77gr tmk's in animals? It doesn't sound like the round is spoiling too much meat so the frag can't be too crazy.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I feel like I asked this and just missed the answer or flat forgot, how much weight retention are y'all seeing for these 77gr tmk's in animals? It doesn't sound like the round is spoiling too much meat so the frag can't be too crazy.

Ah do what? You need to read the entire thread- every post.

Weight retention has about zero to due with killingā€¦. Well, actually inversely proportional. If you hit bone, TMK cause a lot of damage.

Put another doe down last night with the .223/77 combo. No pics, it was nothing special. 65 yard shot in the neck, dropped in her tracks as expected.
What was the damage like? When conducive, I like neck shooting deer and nothing Iā€™ve seen in this thread tells me itā€™s a bad idea with the little 223