.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Weird on the 105’s.. 108’s are Hammers. Front shoulder quartering to on a big Wyoming mule deer and got exits 24” later
(Re: the 105 hpbt) I was surprised. I should specify, it penetrated the near side ribs just fine. 2-3” entry hole after skinning. A few pieces made it into the offside ribs. Nothing to the hide though. I always read that they dug well. I’ll keep shooting them into deer. I have plenty of them and when they’re gone, a retube to 6cm will be in order.

Next up though, and back to topic, 77tmk out of the montucky.

Nice week’s work on the mulies, by the way.

Lawnboi

WKR
77 tmk 2270 approximate impact velocity, from the buck a few pages back. Went through 15” of deer including rib on entry. Caught on offside shoulder. Also had some separated lead slug I found but that got tossed.

Hopefully this weekend I’ll have more deer under it.
71A2ACF0-397F-45C7-AA41-CF3C4F3D3946.jpeg

Last edited:
Really sucks that 2/4 states I hunt require .24+ caliber. I’m converted if I could make it my do all rifle. These fish and game departments need to get woke.

Haney

FNG
Do the Non-tipped 77 SMKs perform the same as the Tipped 77 SMKs when it comes to terminal damage ? I read through the thread, forgive me if this question has already been discussed and I missed it . Thanks

Lawnboi

WKR
So my fall with the tmk is over. I was hesitant, but everything outlined in this thread has rang true as far as how the 77tmk preforms. I’ll continue using them. Sucks they are .30 cents a pop but I’ll still keep a thousand on hand.

Only hang up I have going forward is on windy hunts where longer shots are likely I’ll probably carry the creedmoor. But for back home for the foreseeable future I’ll keep running the 77 tmk. Performance was as good or better than everything Iv ever shot deer with.

cod0396

FNG
Do the Non-tipped 77 SMKs perform the same as the Tipped 77 SMKs when it comes to terminal damage ? I read through the thread, forgive me if this question has already been discussed and I missed it . Thanks
Not even close. They are yaw dependent (don't fragment nearly as consistently as the TMK), don't start fragging until several inches in, don't expand, have a lower ballistic coefficient, higher fragmentation velocity threshold, and fragment less overall. They are worse in every way except price and maybe precision. 77gr OTM will still get the job done, but the TMK is a far superior bullet.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Not even close. They are yaw dependent (don't fragment nearly as consistently as the TMK), don't start fragging until several inches in, don't expand, have a lower ballistic coefficient, higher fragmentation velocity threshold, and fragment less overall. They are worse in every way except price and maybe precision. 77gr OTM will still get the job done, but the TMK is a far superior bullet.

This is how bullets should be talked about.