.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

khuber84

WKR
Im extremely pleased with my rough RSS. Trijicon accupoint 3-9 and 24.5grains of tac at mag length had an SD of 3fps over 3 rounds so I stopped there to not ruin my hopes. Was getting consistent hits out over 700 before my scope runs out of elevation. I dialed the accupoint for 70 rounds from bottomed out to 24moa above my zero and never felt like it wasn’t tracking correctly. Not enough for a novice like me to notice. 2833fps was my trued velocity from StrelokPro. Got DA using the same aviation chart Form has posted previously. Between strelok and a rough understanding of the altitude I was within the ballpark of a kestrel every time. I need a small thermometer on my pack or something.
Things I would change; 1. Sacrifice the weight of the scope for the tenmile FFP and a zero stop. I have my zero marked in number of revs from the bottom but it’s a hassle to do that repeatedly. 2. Try the tikka vertical grip. I might not like it for N.Idaho hunting situations. 3. I want a suppressor.
View attachment 588020
I love shooting at rock lake!

While I'm not going down the Tikka 223 path, I'm going with a 22" 7.5tw 22gt 120 freebore chamber to launch my 77tmk. I think 3100mv should be a balance to keep over expansion down at shots under 200y but keep my range out to 700y with 1750mv for reliable performance.

Last edited:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I love shooting at rock lake!

While I'm not going down the Tikka 223 path, I'm going with a 22" 7.5tw 22gt 120 freebore chamber to launch my 77tmk. I think 3100mv should be a balance to keep over expansion down at shots under 200y but keep my range out to 700y with 1750mv for reliable performance.
Yea I’m definitely getting a membership. That was my first time. It’s almost a two hour drive for me though.

Should someone tell them?

Sierra Bullets TMK .22 Cal 77 Gr

Sierra has enhanced a segment of the MatchKing line by adding the acetal resin tip, thus crowning the Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullet line. The major advantage of adding a tip to the bullet is the reduction of drag, producing a more favorable ballistic coefficient. Another benefit is reliable feeding in magazine fed firearms. The 77 grain Tipped MatchKing (TMK) allows seating to an OAL that permits cartridges to be loaded into M16/AR15 magazines.

Although the MatchKing line is recognized around the world for record setting accuracy, like their untipped counterparts, Tipped MatchKing (TMK) bullets are not recommended for hunting anything larger than varmints. Having heavier jackets than our Hornet or Blitz line of bullets, these bullets will not provide the same explosive expansion on small varmints. The #7177 was introduced in January 2015.

This bullet requires a barrel twist rate of 1x8" or faster.

Dia. (inches)Weight (grains)Sectional DensityBallistic Coefficients and Velocity Ranges
0.22477.219.420 @ 2400 fps and above
.415 between 2400 and 2000 fps
.395 between 2000 and 1750 fps
.380 @ 1750 fps and below

Not legal for big game in Oregon. Surprised that it is legal for Elk in Idaho.

Obviously Elk aren't armor-plated. And if you think like a bowhunter the 223 will put one down. But you don't have much leeway with a 223. You can end up with a hit to tag ratio greater than 1.

I am a little worried about this statement - "The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!"

No, it is not "on par" with 30cal fodder - not even a 30-30. It is a very marginal cartridge/bullet that CAN work if the shooter stays within its limitations. Sorry to burst your bubble, but better now than this fall when you post a sob-story about how you made a good hit and never found the elk.
He's not gonna post that 🤪

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Not legal for big game in Oregon. Surprised that it is legal for Elk in Idaho.

Obviously Elk aren't armor-plated. And if you think like a bowhunter the 223 will put one down. But you don't have much leeway with a 223. You can end up with a hit to tag ratio greater than 1.

I am a little worried about this statement - "The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!"

No, it is not "on par" with 30cal fodder - not even a 30-30. It is a very marginal cartridge/bullet that CAN work if the shooter stays within its limitations. Sorry to burst your bubble, but better now than this fall when you post a sob-story about how you made a good hit and never found the elk.
Please read the entire thread.

I assure you what I’ve written is factual. Period.

Deywalker

FNG
Does anyone prefer the 62gr Gold Dot/Fusion to the 73gr ELD? My state is starting background checks for ammo along with a fee associated with it and I'd like to stock up on .223 and .308 before it goes into effect.

Last edited:
Does anyone prefer the 62gr Gold Dot/Fusion to the 73gr ELD? My state is start background checks for ammo along with a fee associated with it and I'd like to stock up on .223 and .308 before it goes into effect.

In my opinion (others may chime in differently), with the .223, a bonded bullet won't actually perform as well as the wound channel will end up being smaller. The reason for using the TMK or ELDM is the rapid expansion and slight fragmenting of the bullet creates a bigger wound channel and kills quicker.

That being said, hitting them in the vitals matters a whole lot more than what bullet passes through the vitals, so if one of those two bullets shoots significantly better in your gun, go with that one.

Deywalker

FNG
In my opinion (others may chime in differently), with the .223, a bonded bullet won't actually perform as well as the wound channel will end up being smaller. The reason for using the TMK or ELDM is the rapid expansion and slight fragmenting of the bullet creates a bigger wound channel and kills quicker.
I have the same belief as well, however I have seen 73gr ELD-m gel tests fail to reach 12 inches of penetration in calibrated ballistics gel (AR-15.coms gel test iirc) even at reduced impact velocities. Given that the shots I would take would be at typical eastern woodland hunting range for the time being, I was worried about penetration depth.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone prefer the 62gr Gold Dot/Fusion to the 73gr ELD? My state is starting background checks for ammo along with a fee associated with it and I'd like to stock up on .223 and .308 before it goes into effect.
I like it haven't used any 73 eld to compare firsthand yet but 55, 62 and 75 gold dots have all been good killers. I wouldn't be upset to have a supply of them on hand. Nor would I be terribly upset about the 73s either, but I tend to pass on most shots that aren't more or less broadside

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
The 73 Eld-m was significantly more accurate than the 62 gr fusions in my tikka fwiw