.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Anyone know the best powder for a clone of Black Hills 5.56 77 tmk? I think I'll finally start loading for my Tikka. I know form posted a no-nonsense place to start a while back, but I'm not having luck finding it. My favorite powder is H4350, but I've got access to some faster burn rates, CFE223, Varget, etc,

xbr, H4895, tac. Varget works well but can get really compressed if you're not seating out long.

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know the best powder for a clone of Black Hills 5.56 77 tmk? I think I'll finally start loading for my Tikka. I know form posted a no-nonsense place to start a while back, but I'm not having luck finding it. My favorite powder is H4350, but I've got access to some faster burn rates, CFE223, Varget, etc,
23.4-23.7gr of IMR8208 or 24.5gr of TAC is what most suggest from previous posts and a few other load threads. CFE223 can get stuff going fast but isn’t necessarily as temp stable if that matters to you.

Tahr

FNG
I did a thread search 👀 but no bueno!
Is the 52 grain ELD Match viable for deer inside say 150 yards? Looking to minimize recoil as much as possible for a 10 year old. He’s so thin he can get out of the rain by standing under a clothes line.
This is going back a bit in the thread but I'm just wading my way though the posts. I shot 79 Red deer and Fallow last year and the majority with the .223. Mainly 77 TMK but a few with the 52grain ELDM. Here is a pic of a low shoulder shot on a Fallow (sort of the size of whitetail doe). 52 grn ELDM. 3300 fps, 180 yards.
It didn't exactly knock it off its feet but it didn't run either. Did a small circle and expired. Internal damage was mushy.

IMG_3805 2.jpg
Have neck shot a few with the 52 ELDM and they poll axed

Here is a 77 TMK that I recently retrieved from under the off side shoulder of a very big Red hind. 2900 fps, 188 yards. She just took a few steps.This was a centre shoulder hit.

FullSizeRender 3.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

I have plenty of other pics of .223 terminal effects on deer. Not exclusively 77TMK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched a buddy use these on two antelope does last year. Both shots around 200 yards out of a 22” barrel, so should have had plenty of velocity. Both were solid shots tight behind front leg, and both took a long time to die and required a finishing headshot after we walked up on them in the sage. Should have done a necropsy to see exactly what damage was done, but pretty disappointed in the XP. I think we will both be finding something else to use in our .223s this year.

That’s not surprising, I shot a groundhog with the 125gr 6.5 Creedmoor load and it was very very explosive. Like it took a grenade. Way more explosive than a bullet designed for big game or controlled expansion.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
@Tahr
Thanks for the photo, and first hand observation / experience.
Were did you have opportunity to hunt / cull fallow deer? (Oh I see, New Zealand)

Tahr

FNG
@Tahr
Thanks for the photo, and first hand observation / experience.
Were did you have opportunity to hunt / cull fallow deer? (Oh I see, New Zealand)
You are welcome. Here's 2 from last evening. 150 and 200 odd yards. The projectile was an 80 grain "Targex". These are made here in NZ as a hunting bullet using Berger jackets and perform very well. Maybe not the penetration of the 77 TMK but stunning terminal performance. Pic is of the shoulder peeled back and showing entry through ribs. Projectile didn't pass through but shredded the lungs. Ive shot deer out to 400 yards using this bullet.

FullSizeRender 6.jpegFullSizeRender 7.jpegFullSizeRender 10.jpeg

Trackselk

WKR
Quick question I figured would get a good response in this thread.
As a fledgling hunter turned marksman (thanks to this thread); is my tiny 4.5lb .223 (wylde) TC contender a suitable trainer for my 5lb kimber rifles (22 creed, 6.5 creed)? Please see pic for the diminutive dimensions. (1" shortened LOP, 16" barrel).
Or experienced hunter turned fledgling marksman that is...

Attachments

• 20230105_180904.jpg
    20230105_180904.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
As a fledgling hunter turned marksman (thanks to this thread); is my tiny 4.5lb .223 (wylde) TC contender a suitable trainer for my 5lb kimber rifles (22 creed, 6.5 creed)? Please see pic for the diminutive dimensions. (1" shortened LOP, 16" barrel).
Yer recoil pad's on wrong.

That's a lovely little rifle though!

Trackselk

WKR
Yer recoil pad's on wrong.

That's a lovely little rifle though!
Thanks, that picture actually has the 30-30 barrel, so when it's complete with the fluted 223 barrel and talleys it should be at or under 4.5lb, which is pretty dang handy in my pack. It killed a few elk from close ranges about a decade ago...then I went .308, then 6.5, now probably just use the .22 creed for everything thanks to this thread.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Anything is better than nothing but I would say that there isn't a whole lot of cross over between the rifle platforms other than trigger manipulation. Marksmanship training with a training rifle is also training yourself how to operate the rifle in different positions. Nice little rifle tho!

Trackselk

WKR
Anything is better than nothing but I would say that there isn't a whole lot of cross over between the rifle platforms other than trigger manipulation. Marksmanship training with a training rifle is also training yourself how to operate the rifle in different positions. Nice little rifle tho!
Thanks, looks like I'll have to look in to a .223 bolt gun and join the cult. Would a tika be a suitable trainer for a kimber bolt gun?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, looks like I'll have to look in to a .223 bolt gun and join the cult. Would a tika be a suitable trainer for a kimber bolt gun?
A tikka Is more suitable than your tc. However there will be differences in safety manipulation and bolt throw (tikkas have a lower bolt throw). How much that matters will be up to you. Also... don't let what Is written here dissuade you from using your tc and practicing with it, that is a sweet little setup. It just doesn't transfer over well for bolt guns.

Oakridge

FNG
Got to get some quality time behind the Howa Mini this week. My absolute favorite rifle to shoot now! Easy moa groups at 200. Next up is to chop and thread the barrel and find TMK’s for deer season!

Attachments

• 6BDE0480-9EBB-403D-8022-EC646B775DB2.png
    6BDE0480-9EBB-403D-8022-EC646B775DB2.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 119

Trackselk

WKR
For you few mono shooters; anyone try .224 bulldozer 2's? BC of
.47 IIRC. I'm going to see how small bears and big bucks like them first...