22 pistols

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I want to put together a nice 22lr semi auto pistol for plinking and shooting small game. I want to shoot suppressed with a RMR.

I’ve been using a Ruger lcrx revolver for awhile but my recent acquisition of a tactical solutions 10/22 makes me think there must be something just as good for the pistols out there.

Where should I start looking? What companies make these or make uppers etc for them? Should I buy a Ruger MKIV and add to it? Or does some company sell complete pistols?

I’d like to keep the barrel to 4” or so since I’ll be putting my silencer on it, it like it to be as reliable as possible, I’d like to keep the cost under 2k.

Main uses will be grouse and ptarmigan with a healthy amount of backyard plinking.

What are my options? Any pics are greatly appreciated.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have an FN502 that is a ton of fun with a Sparrow on it. Took it on a CO elk hunt last year for grouse but never busted any, likely because my buddy shot a bull day 2. But it’s a nice platform with a threaded barrel and optics cut slide. Have to stay light with the optic, I have a Sig Romeo Zero on it.

Last edited:

eric1115

WKR
I haven't shot all the compact .22 pistols, but I'd take a MkIV or Buck mark over all the Glock, sig, etc pistols that are a .22lr version of 9mm carry guns (unless the express purpose was cheap low-recoil practice to transfer to a carry gun).

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ruger 22/45 is a great little pistol and take down for cleaning is a breeze. Way easier than my buckmark.
Yeah I’m pretty well set on a Ruger, I like the MK IV and the 22/45. I want to truck it out though.

waspocrew

WKR
Yeah I’m pretty well set on a Ruger, I like the MK IV and the 22/45. I want to truck it out though.

Volquartsen makes tons of aftermarket parts for the Ruger in addition to their own pistols.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/pistols

Tandem Kross also has a ton of aftermarket parts as well.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Volquartsen makes tons of aftermarket parts for the Ruger in addition to their own pistols.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/pistols

Tandem Kross also has a ton of aftermarket parts as well.

Nice thank you!

Here is my Ruger mkiv 22/45 “tactical”. I put my Silencerco Spectre II and an RMR on it. Shoots nice little groups at 25yds. I also have the ability to put a light on it if needed. The pistol is stock, msrp was about $600, rmr was used at $200. IMG_8448_Original.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8448_Original.jpeg
    IMG_8448_Original.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 15
Agree that a mark IV 22/45 is tough to beat. This is mine with a dead air mask - I run it with the quiet semis

wpweJseh.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I enjoy plinking with my 22/45 and have shot grouse with it but if being honest I am better with a longer sight radius. I opted to make a folding stock for a 16” savage rascal which with cci quiet is like an air rifle sound and kills grouse better than my current pistol skills.

But if set on a pistol the 22/45 with some volquartsen tweaks is a nice shooter.

I really like my FN502. I was planning to get a Ruger but handling both at the gun store this actually has a better stock trigger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810-004143.png
    Screenshot_20240810-004143.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
I want to put together a nice 22lr semi auto pistol for plinking and shooting small game. I want to shoot suppressed with a RMR.

I’ve been using a Ruger lcrx revolver for awhile but my recent acquisition of a tactical solutions 10/22 makes me think there must be something just as good for the pistols out there.

Where should I start looking? What companies make these or make uppers etc for them? Should I buy a Ruger MKIV and add to it? Or does some company sell complete pistols?

I’d like to keep the barrel to 4” or so since I’ll be putting my silencer on it, it like it to be as reliable as possible, I’d like to keep the cost under 2k.

Main uses will be grouse and ptarmigan with a healthy amount of backyard plinking.

What are my options? Any pics are greatly appreciated.
Tacsol sells a nice integrated barrel upper for the ruger mark guns. They also sell a shortened barrel 22/45.

I love my 22/45 with a can on it, and I’ve been seriously considering sending the upper into get chopped down or just buy that integrally suppressed upper.

I realize that you said you were pretty much set on a Ruger, but you may want to give this one a look.

I have one and it is great. I use it for squirrel hunting, raccoon hunting, and the chipmunks that like to get into the attic at camp. I have a Spectre II and it balances very well with it.

The other main advantage is that it is much easier to put back together when you break it down to clean. There is an "art" to getting a MKIV back together.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I got the S&W Victory due to the cost. So far so good. One bolt takedown, good trigger, accurate.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I realize that you said you were pretty much set on a Ruger, but you may want to give this one a look.

I have one and it is great. I use it for squirrel hunting, raccoon hunting, and the chipmunks that like to get into the attic at camp. I have a Spectre II and it balances very well with it.

The other main advantage is that it is much easier to put back together when you break it down to clean. There is an "art" to getting a MKIV back together.
The MKIV is about the easiest pistol I've ever taken apart. I honestly believe with some practice I could do it blindfolded. The older ruger 22 pistols, MK 3 will make you want to put it in a plastic bag and throw it in the trash. 😂 I took mine to a gunsmith had it put back together and sold it the next week.

I have a MKIV that I really like.

TxLite

WKR
I really like my browning buckmark. It’s my main trap dispatching tool with my dead air mask.

waspocrew

WKR
The buckmark has a better factory trigger (at least in my opinion). Other than that, I prefer my Mark IV 22/45. I swapped the trigger out for a tandem kross and it’s quite a bit better than stock.

Any suppressed 22 lr pistol is a good time haha.