22 Creedmoor—Tikka 22-250 rechamber or Horizon vandal?

sturner88

FNG
As the title states, I’m considering having a new stainless tikka t3x lite rechambered/chopped/threaded to 22 creedmoor and upgrade the stock/trigger spring. Would it be worth the extra few hundred dollars to buy a ready-to-go horizon vandal? Does anyone have experience with both?

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
I don’t have experience with the Horizon Vandal, but do the Tikka 22-250, chopped to 18” and rechambered to 22 Creedmoor. A year ago that process cost $250.00, work being done by Karl Feldkamp at kampfeldcustom. Very nice work. I personally wouldn’t monkey with the trigger spring, as the factory trigger can be taken very close to 2 lbs and is keeps the trigger reliable and safe. I would probably hold on the Horizon, simply based on the overall lack of reliability and safety in model 700 based triggers. This based on Form’s testing and experience. Hope this helps.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
do you know if kampfield is a tikka dealer? Would be very convenient if I could just buy the rifle directly from them, have them do the work and then ship it out to me.

Also, i’ve found my factory tikka trigger in my 308 with the set screw pulled all the way out is a bit heavier than I like for a lightweight rifle. i’m sure there is some variance from gun to gun and even though it seems to have a crisp pull, i’d guess it was closer to 3.5ish lbs. 2.5 is what I prefer on a light hunting rifle

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
do you know if kampfield is a tikka dealer? Would be very convenient if I could just buy the rifle directly from them, have them do the work and then ship it out to me.

Also, i’ve found my factory tikka trigger in my 308 with the set screw pulled all the way out is a bit heavier than I like for a lightweight rifle. i’m sure there is some variance from gun to gun and even though it seems to have a crisp pull, i’d guess it was closer to 3.5ish lbs. 2.5 is what I prefer on a light hunting rifle
That I do not know, as far as him being a dealer. As far as the trigger spring is concerned, I’d definitely invest in a trigger pull gauge, if you don’t have one. I’ve not found in multiple Tikkas, both centerfire and rimfire, that I haven’t been able achieve at least 2.5 lbs with the trigger weight adjustment screw unscrewed all the way out until it stops on the large allen screw anchoring the trigger body to the action .

Gonewest

WKR

I would reach out to @Unknown Munitions They are Tikka dealers.

I doubt Kampfeld is a tikka dealer but I have purchased a tikka online and had it shipped direct to him to work on before I ever saw it. It's pretty easy.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Kampfeld rifles are amazing. This is a 300 that he built for me. Maybe I should have him build a 22 cm? I’m dying for a new yote gun. F1A833A3-AEE8-4065-B209-DCA0D3B87A36.jpeg

DosAmigos

FNG
I am currently running a Horizon Vandal Carbon with Copper Creek Berger 77 Otm Tactical topped with a Trijicon Ten Mile HX. The gun shoots lights out. I have been impressed with the rifle to say the least.