22 Creedmoor for Scimitar Oryx?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Same for Africans too. Most poachers or locals use 223 or similar. How I would guess 99% of all African game has ever been taken.

I used 308 165 fusions and everything dropped like a rock. I wouldn’t hesitate to use smaller good projectiles on my next trip.
Wire snares , gin traps made of leaf springs and a 7.62×39mm are African hunting gear of choice IMG_0915.jpeg

JGRaider

WKR
Thank you for coming late in the conversation and telling us everything was wrong and you are right. Glad you abandoned your bridge and showed up. This topic was getting boring without you.
No problem. Anyone who's hunted and killed much African game can verify it. It's African anatomy 101.

JGRaider

WKR
So where do you want those percentages?

How does that relate to their effectiveness?
There's nothing more to it than I was curious how well they retained weight. IME the more weight retained the more penetration. That's it, you need not read more into it than that.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
No, those were the % of weight the bullet retained. Those were .284 160gr accubond's running 3100 at the muzzle. Impacts ranged from 80-150 yards, through low shoulder, heart shots.
Sounds like similar velocity and similar retention to my gigantic sample size of one bullet. 80gr-49gr—~60% 3100mv. shot through the shoulder, splitting heart and caught on offside. Maybe the bullets did the same thing?

I’m just hear to learn, not interested in any of the cat fighting. But objectively, it does look like the exact same result.

atmat

WKR
It’s honestly surprising how demonstrative the “bigger-is-better” crowd gets, particularly when faced with evidence.

chamois

FNG
...African & Asian game has a complete different anatomy ( aoudad are a African imported invasive specie sheep )

With the heart and lungs protected by heavy bone and more forward in the body ...

A small caliber argument has merit in a culling operation where head and neck shots are taken. But shooting a African or Asian animal like a deer or elk will result in a gut shot
No, Sir, their anatomies are not completely different.

It is true that their digestive system pushes a bit forward into de rib cage, most probably because the large amount of intake they need to make up for its poor content in nutritional essentials requires a large gastrointestinal tract; and it is true that its heart is lower and more to the front that that of deer, moose, goat, sheep, etc. but that is all.

Just bear that in mind and avoid hits in the last ribs, specially in quartering away shots which in my opinion should be avoided with any caliber, and you will be fine.

Heart and lungs are not shielded by any heavy bones. Ribs are just ribs and the humerous is not a bone standing vertically in front of the heart. Moreover, by my experience, the softest bullets mentioned here like .224 77-TMK and 108-ELD-Ms break them systematically, causing a vast wound behind.

Not to mention the shoulder blade, a paper thin flat bone you can almost see through at backlight, to whom many seem to attribute magical bullet stopping properties.

Someone else mentioned how tough zebra are, and they are, just like the rest of the animals they will fall easily with a well placed shot and they will you a lot of work with a poorly placed one, regardless the caliber.

Just for giggles, here are a couple of pictures of the fourteen I killed on this years trip:

z1.jpgz2.jpgz3.jpgz4.jpg

JGRaider

WKR
It’s honestly surprising how demonstrative the “bigger-is-better” crowd gets, particularly when faced with evidence.
Feel free to quote me where I said "bigger is better". It is what I prefer in certain places/animals, which shouldn't be any big deal I wouldn't think.

JGRaider

WKR
No, Sir, their anatomies are not completely different.

It is true that their digestive system pushes a bit forward into de rib cage, most probably because the large amount of intake they need to make up for its poor content in nutritional essentials requires a large gastrointestinal tract; and it is true that its heart is lower and more to the front that that of deer, moose, goat, sheep, etc. but that is all.

Just bear that in mind and avoid hits in the last ribs, specially in quartering away shots which in my opinion should be avoided with any caliber, and you will be fine.

Heart and lungs are not shielded by any heavy bones. Ribs are just ribs and the humerous is not a bone standing vertically in front of the heart. Moreover, by my experience, the softest bullets mentioned here like .224 77-TMK and 108-ELD-Ms break them systematically, causing a vast wound behind.

Not to mention the shoulder blade, a paper thin flat bone you can almost see through at backlight, to whom many seem to attribute magical bullet stopping properties.

Someone else mentioned how tough zebra are, and they are, just like the rest of the animals they will fall easily with a well placed shot and they will you a lot of work with a poorly placed one, regardless the caliber.

Just for giggles, here are a couple of pictures of the fourteen I killed on this years trip:

View attachment 752656View attachment 752657View attachment 752658View attachment 752660
Beautiful animals! I've killed exactly one plains zebra and a couple of Hartman's in Namibia. The Hartman's was my toughest hunt in 4 trips over there.

JGRaider

WKR
Sounds like similar velocity and similar retention to my gigantic sample size of one bullet. 80gr-49gr—~60% 3100mv. shot through the shoulder, splitting heart and caught on offside. Maybe the bullets did the same thing?

I’m just hear to learn, not interested in any of the cat fighting. But objectively, it does look like the exact same result.
Good deal, as "cat fighting" is very juvenile. Lot's of ways to kill animals effectively is what I've learned after killing about 400 big game animals and several hundred hogs, which are my main test media nowadays.

Your sample of one is very encouraging. My sample of 60 in Africa is as well. I say more power to you with regards to what you like to hunt with, as I've said many times I couldn't care less what people use.

Bugger

FNG
Great, another good bullet thread turned into a soup kitchen. Nothing left but trolls and feeders now.