22 Creedmoor for Scimitar Oryx?

Outside of Rokslide, in the real world, there’s multiple dumfuks that would use solid ball ammo out of a 223 because they don’t know any better..

Different subject. FMJ ammo is not legal to use for hunting in most states, regardless of caliber or cartridge used.

View attachment 752360View attachment 752362View attachment 752363View attachment 752364View attachment 752365View attachment 752366I wish formidilosus could get off his ego trip , but this seems very unlikely!
A heavy for caliber frangible .223 may be ok ( ?) for NA anatomy game @ marginal range shots , African & Asian game has a complete different anatomy ( aoudad are a African imported invasive specie sheep )
With the heart and lungs protected by heavy bone and more forward in the body ( nilgai heavy bone and 1+ inch thick dermal shield) & muscle, I believe his principle of using frangable / soft unbonded bullets have merited application in a heavier caliber to explode Both metal and bone fragments though the vitals of an African game animal @. 200 +/- meters
Example a unbonded 180gr 7mm has has laid out millions of food staple game since the late 19th century, 257weatherby in 20th century as a hot explosive PG caliber
A small caliber argument has merit in a culling operation where head and neck shots are taken. But shooting a African or Asian animal like a deer or elk will result in a gut shot
Kevin Robertson wrote a book for traveling sportsmen on African game
The Perfect Shot with diagrams and text on caliber choice and shot selection
For both trophy and meat hunting here are some photographic examples from the book

(Bold and Italics for highlight)

I find it very funny that you make a statement about the heart and lungs of African/Asian plains game having heart and lungs that are protected by "heavy bone" below pictures that show that they absolutely are not. Unless you are trying to say that ribs are somehow "heavy bone".

And for those arguing that "shot placement on NA game won't work on African/Asian game", my argument is that the traditional NA shot placement isn't correct either. If you are aiming for the "crease" you are actually about 4-6 inches too far back. The Vital V exists across all ungulates. That is where you should be aiming if you want the most efficient kill. However we have let the crappy bullet and mechanical broadhead crowd to somehow convince the world that bones are to be avoided at all costs so the "right place to shoot them" has moved back on the animal.

Axlrod

WKR
Different subject. FMJ ammo is not legal to use for hunting in most states, regardless of caliber or cartridge used.
I have read the regulations for Montana, it says nothing about FMJ's being prohibited. The only projectiles mentioned are for shotguns, where 0,00, or slugs are required.

Axlrod

WKR
I know Colorado specifically states an expanding bullet
I was replying to "FMJ ammo is not legal to use for hunting in most states".
And the first state I checked, it was not true. Just pointing out the fallacy of blanket statements, when most likely the poster has no idea how many states specifically restrict projectiles.
In Montana you can use a 22 short if you like, except on Bison where you need a 150 gr. or larger FMJ, soft point, or whatever.

I never noticed the body conformation for those Texas hill country aoudad is totally different than the ones that live in the Davis Mountains and New Mexico in the Lincoln. Nice horns.
Hill country are typically a lot heavy, due to supplemental feed… somebody could que up a good Double Down joke,

View attachment 752360View attachment 752362View attachment 752363View attachment 752364View attachment 752365View attachment 752366I wish formidilosus could get off his ego trip , but this seems very unlikely!
A heavy for caliber frangible .223 may be ok ( ?) for NA anatomy game @ marginal range shots , African & Asian game has a complete different anatomy ( aoudad are a African imported invasive specie sheep )
With the heart and lungs protected by heavy bone and more forward in the body ( nilgai heavy bone and 1+ inch thick dermal shield) & muscle, I believe his principle of using frangable / soft unbonded bullets have merited application in a heavier caliber to explode Both metal and bone fragments though the vitals of an African game animal @. 200 +/- meters
Example a unbonded 180gr 7mm has has laid out millions of food staple game since the late 19th century, 257weatherby in 20th century as a hot explosive PG caliber
A small caliber argument has merit in a culling operation where head and neck shots are taken. But shooting a African or Asian animal like a deer or elk will result in a gut shot
Kevin Robertson wrote a book for traveling sportsmen on African game
The Perfect Shot with diagrams and text on caliber choice and shot selection
For both trophy and meat hunting here are some photographic examples from the book
I wish you could get off yours, From one TX boy to the other you are wrong. You told me the other day I couldn’t kill Niligi with factory 257wby ammo and had to use “super hot loads”. That’s complete BS, I’ve killed a few with 257wby from 80gr tax, 100gr spire point and 115vld’s, from Brownsville all the way up to Corpus almost.

First of all Scimitar are just long legged mule deer. When cite tag ruling came out we took out 5 of them with 80 ttsx and 75 gr sciroccos. 75 yards to 300 yards.

You act like hot 22 bullets is new, we burned up barrel from Hill County firearms when they “re-released” 224 TTH aka 22-6mm over 20 years ago. I do think bullet options have gotten much better in heavy 22, back then all we had where sciroccos and aframes

Last edited:
Outside of Rokslide, in the real world, there’s multiple dumfuks that would use solid ball ammo out of a 223 because they don’t know any better..

I have had guys come into public range site in day with their ARs and a leupold mark AR scope calibrated for 55 gr vmaxs. Other volunteers tried to explain that their bullet choice was less than ideal but they couldn’t fathom not using a tipped 55 grain with that loopold that is designed for them!

I was replying to "FMJ ammo is not legal to use for hunting in most states".
And the first state I checked, it was not true. Just pointing out the fallacy of blanket statements, when most likely the poster has no idea how many states specifically restrict projectiles.
In Montana you can use a 22 short if you like, except on Bison where you need a 150 gr. or larger FMJ, soft point, or whatever.

So your sample size of one makes you believe that I don't know what I am talking about? And I am the one with a blanket statement problem?

Here is a state by state list. Unless it says "no restriction" the text is copy and paste from the regulations

Alabama - Must use "mushrooming ammunition"
Alaska - No restriction
Arizona - A person shall not take big game using full-jacketed or total-jacketed bullets that are not designed to expand upon impact
Arkansas - Modern guns may be used for deer EXCEPT: military or full metal jacketed ammunition.
California - big game may only be taken by firearms using centerfire cartridges with soft nose or expanding projectiles, per California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 14, section 353(c).
Colorado - Must use expanding bullets
Connecticut - Only has to be .243 or larger (private land above 10 acres only)... state land is limited to shotguns using single soft alloy projectiles
Delaware - No restrictions, however Delaware is limited to straight wall cased cartridges between 1.25 "and 1.82" in length
Florida - Prohibited methods and equipment: Nonexpanding full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer.
Georgia - Center-fire only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets.
Hawaii - no restriction
Idaho - no restriction
Illinois - Full-metal jacket bullets may not be used to harvest deer.
Indiana - Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal
Iowa - Centerfire handguns must be .357 caliber or larger shooting straight-walled cartridges propelling an expanding-type bullet(no full-metal jacket) Rifles firing straight wall or other centerfire ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet
Kansas - centerfire rifles and handguns that are not fully automatic, using only hard-cast solid lead, soft point, hollow point, tumble-on-impact, or other expanding bullets
Kentucky - Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition is prohibited.
Louisiana - no restriction
Maine - No restriction
Maryland - A person may not use full metal-jacketed, incendiary, or tracer bullets in hunting deer in the State.
Massachusetts - Only allows shotgun and primitive weapons hunts, so it is N/A
Michigan - No restriction
Minnesota - The projectile used has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type
Mississippi - No restriction
Missouri - Allowed Centerfire rifles or handguns (see definition on Page 68) using expanding-type bullets such as lead or copper
Montana - No restriction
Nebraska - full-metal jacket and incendiary bullets are prohibited.
Nevada - Prohibited Ammunition: Full metal jacket, full steel, full steel core, tracer, or incendiary bullets or shells.
New Hampshire - No restriction
New Jersey - Only muzzleloaders and shotguns, so N/A
New Mexico - Hunters must use only bullets designed to expand or fragment upon impact.
New York - No restrictions
North Carolina - No restricitons
North Dakota - full metal jacketed bullets which are nonexpanding, and altered projectiles are prohibited
Ohio - Straight walled cartridges from 35 to 50 call. No restrictions on FMJ
Oklahoma - Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet
Oregon - Hunters shall not use tracer ammunition or full metal-jacket bullets.
Pennsylvania - with all-lead bullet or ball, or bullet designed to expand on impact;
Rhode Island - Shotgun or muzzleloader only, so N/A
South Carolina - No restriction
South Dakota - Only soft-point or expanding bullets are permitted
Tennessee - Full metal jacketed ammunition is prohibited.
Texas - No restriction
Utah - Your rifle must fire centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets
Vermont - No restrictions
Virginia - No restrictions
Washington - No restrictions
West Virginia - No restrictions
Wisconsin - It is illegal to: Hunt a deer, bear or elk with any ammunition other than an arrow, bolt or bullet that is a single projectile of an expanding design.
Wyoming - firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length and using and expanding point bullet.

So, if you remove the Shotgun/Muzzleloader only states there are only 19 of the 48 states that don't have restrictions. I guess it depends on your definition of "most" but that is still over 60% of the states.

OP
S

sturner88

FNG
(Bold and Italics for highlight)

I find it very funny that you make a statement about the heart and lungs of African/Asian plains game having heart and lungs that are protected by "heavy bone" below pictures that show that they absolutely are not. Unless you are trying to say that ribs are somehow "heavy bone".

And for those arguing that "shot placement on NA game won't work on African/Asian game", my argument is that the traditional NA shot placement isn't correct either. If you are aiming for the "crease" you are actually about 4-6 inches too far back. The Vital V exists across all ungulates. That is where you should be aiming if you want the most efficient kill. However we have let the crappy bullet and mechanical broadhead crowd to somehow convince the world that bones are to be avoided at all costs so the "right place to shoot them" has moved back on the animal.
This has been one of the hardest things for me to retrain my brain for. My natural aiming point was a traditional “behind the shoulder shot” in order to not waste meat. It seems to significantly reduce the margin of error. This original thought exercise (killing the plains game with .224’s) has done more for me mentally than almost anything. I will now shoot almost exclusively for lower third shoulder shots

Last edited: