22 ARC

z987k

WKR
I've been having a great time messing around with the 22 ARC so far and have a couple bolt rifle builds in the works. Here is the full video breakdown of killing a moose with it this year:
That actually did less damage than I thought it would. What are you getting for MV from those?

CMP70306

WKR
20” gas gun. Aero throw together and a BA barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha, kicking around a short barrel gun for here in PA and since we can’t use semi auto pistols I’ve been back and forth between the 22 ARC and the 22 Creedmoor in a short bolt gun. Question then becomes do I go 22 ARC in an AR platform with a Solo 300 side charger or do I go with a standard short action in a chassis with 22 Creed. Most shots are 100 and under but we do have access to our buddies field which pushes 600 yards with deer, coyotes, groundhogs and crows on the menu.

Gotcha, kicking around a short barrel gun for here in PA and since we can’t use semi auto pistols I’ve been back and forth between the 22 ARC and the 22 Creedmoor in a short bolt gun. Question then becomes do I go 22 ARC in an AR platform with a Solo 300 side charger or do I go with a standard short action in a chassis with 22 Creed. Most shots are 100 and under but we do have access to our buddies field which pushes 600 yards with deer, coyotes, groundhogs and crows on the menu.

There are a lot of good options, and I’ve thought a lot about going that route with the 22cm. In a bolt gun you do have the advantage of loading to 62k pressures, and really, the 22cm just gets you an extra couple hundred yards of range…I think with a good bolt gun load you’d still be at or above 2k at 600 with the ARC

AZ_Hunter

WKR
Classified Approved
Cutting the barrel down to 12.5” on a ruger gen 2 22arc and running 75elds at 2850 with cfe223 handloads would make a nice short, light, low recoiling rig.
You think that velocity is legit? I haven’t looked at the numbers. But if that’s accurate, I will build one for a AZ rifle where there aren’t caliber restrictions.

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
Cutting the barrel down to 12.5” on a ruger gen 2 22arc and running 75elds at 2850 with cfe223 handloads would make a nice short, light, low recoiling rig.

I’d be interested to see if that velocity would work. I’m fixing to get a 12.5 ar barrel, but I was thinking 2700-2750 is best I could do. Still though, that’s a 16-18in 223 out of a 12.5in

amassi

WKR
You think that velocity is legit? I haven’t looked at the numbers. But if that’s accurate, I will build one for a AZ rifle where there aren’t caliber restrictions.

Hornady has a 75 bolt gun load at 3250 with a 24” test barrel
I’d bet with the right loader you’d get there even at 12.5”

Noah's "Deuce Duece" ARC is a beast of a cartridge that's far more capable than 99% of us hunters. I've not gone down the rabbit hole, but I will soon. For modern hunters, it's a fine choice for everything from prairie dogs to moose. Great work, Tyler. I'm blown away that people question the ethics of using that cartridge on big animals like you did so perfectly.

Then again, the knowledge hunters had in the early 1900s of the effectiveness of small-caliber, high-velocity projectiles got lost in the "Dark Ages," when hunters went full "magtard" for decades. It's hard to blame someone for not knowing what they don't know.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have an 18” 22 BR shooting 80 gr VLDm, I love it. Just starting work up.

There are a lot of good options, and I’ve thought a lot about going that route with the 22cm. In a bolt gun you do have the advantage of loading to 62k pressures, and really, the 22cm just gets you an extra couple hundred yards of range…I think with a good bolt gun load you’d still be at or above 2k at 600 with the ARC

I think It’s plenty to go to 600, I shoot my 22 ARC gas gun further. Shoot my .223 with match ammo and 14.5” barrel past 600 too.

I think the 22 GT is the biggest cartridge I would run in .22 caliber. The 22 creed is way overbore, IMO.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Yes for a bolt gun. I spoke KAK via email and they’re getting 2600fps from factory 75eldms out of 12.5” ARs and he said around 2800 with handloads. My ruger gen2 20” will push 80s 3100fps with cfe223 and 3020 with varget. Factory 75elds are 2930fps out of the 20” but I bet I could run them 3150fps with hand loads. 300fps loss for 7.5” shorter barrel seems about right.