22 ARC

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious as to what makes you dislike the copper bullets? I mostly shoot sierra gamekings and have never been disappointed, but have been impressed with the Barnes ttsx and LRX on my wife’s bear (308) and my last deer (223). 55grain went through both shoulders on mule deer at 300 yards and he fell right there. IMHO I would much rather have a mono in a 6mm if an elk is in my crosshairs than an eld-m or x, maybe I’m crazy?

I’m with you. Although I’m not a Barnes fan, the Hammer Monos are phenomenal, kill quickly, carry plenty of energy, and are super easy to work up loads with. I finished load development in my 22 CM yesterday with the Hammer 68 gr HHT, and it took a total of 13 rounds.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious as to what makes you dislike the copper bullets?
They prioritize providing far more penetration than I need at the expense of wounding. The same can be said for heavy for caliber, thick jacketed bonded bullets.

You’ve not shot too many copper monos, have you, more specifically anything other than Barnes?
Just Barnes TTSX/LRX and some now defunct Hornady CX. I don’t see a reason really delve into them (per above).

Bottom line, I’m not really interested in a bullet that retains 95%+ of its mass with 24”+ of penetration. If I were legally required to use copper, it wouldn’t be of that variety - but I’m not and bullets like the DRT are substantially more than an SST, ELD-X, ELD-M, or TMK... and (often) don’t bring the same BC or mass to the table.

Unckebob

WKR
Well I’m intrigued. Wonder if they’ll be posting velocities with shorter barrels like they did with 6mm arc. Also bummed I’m so invested in 6 ARC now

Why? Mine is stupid accurate, doesn't use much powder and kicks like a pillow.

The 22 ARC looks interesting, but I am not sure the upgrade path is worth doing.

Last edited:
Why? Mine is stupid accurate, doesn't use much powder and kicks like a pillow.

The 22 ARC looks interesting, but I am not sure the upgrade path is worth doing.
Why? 224 Bullets are cheaper and if the 22ARC pushes the 88gr ELD like they’ve advertised that’ll beat the 108 ELD loads.

Really I’m already shooting the 75gr ELD a bit slower through my tikka 223 and it would be nice to have a factory loading available. I’m also loading the 88gr ELD in my dad’s 22-250 tikka and am super impressed with that bullet.

Has anyone seen an expected release date for ammo and rifle components yet? My budget and skill level is much more setup for building a new ar upper vs a bolt rifle and this looks like the perfect way to get into the 77tmk game / awesome montana truck rifle.

amassi

WKR
Has anyone seen an expected release date for ammo and rifle components yet? My budget and skill level is much more setup for building a new ar upper vs a bolt rifle and this looks like the perfect way to get into the 77tmk game / awesome montana truck rifle.

Hornady release pr in October and ammo in March-May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a AR15 in 223 with a Proof barrel (1:7 TW). Would it by possible and economical to re-chamber the barrel in 22ARC?

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a AR15 in 223 with a Proof barrel (1:7 TW). Would it by possible and economical to re-chamber the barrel in 22ARC?

Not possible, your 223 chamber is longer than the 22 ARC, so you would have to cut the breech end down enough to clean it up with a 22 ARC reamer, but you don’t have enough breech on an AR Barrel, and especially if it’s a CF wrapped proof.

Flyjunky

WKR
Anybody seen any conversion kits for ar’s yet? I’m thinking I’d only need a new barrel and bolt/carrier, is that correct?