22 ARC

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 22 ARC, appears to be nothing more than a SAAMI version of the 224 Grendel. Handloaded, the 224 Grendel will outpace the Valkyrie by approximately 10% across the board, so around 300 fps with a 75 gr ELD-M. That’s also in an AR platform, in a bolt gun, you could get a little more out of it.
I am hoping I can run factory ammo 22 ARC in my 22 grendel AR.

OP
wind gypsy
Im considering doing a 22arc bolt gun for predators. Was going to do 223ai with the lighter bullets, 53-70gr. But now thinking 22ARC could be the ticket, shooting those same light predator bullets. Better cartridge design, a little more speed, would suppress the same as 223 since gas volume should be lower than the gt/creed/xc cartridges. If I need long range high speed I shoot the 243

If they are saying 3075 FPS with 75 ELDm @ 52k PSI in an AR, no need to use lightweight bullets!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a spare tikka 223 just laying around
This would be a nice upgrade if I can get a smith to open the bolt face and figure out magazines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember the .223 ackley improved can get pretty close to/equal the 22 Valk/ARC. Not sure about magazines, throats, etc. but that might be an option depending on bottom metal, etc. One benefit is fattening the case means the bullet can be pushed back so that is less of a worry in the ARC.

Opening up the bolt face is the "hardest" part of the build. You can swap the stock and run AICS Grendel/ARC magazines in M5 bottom metal.

amassi

WKR
If I remember the .223 ackley improved can get pretty close to/equal the 22 Valk/ARC. Not sure about magazines, throats, etc. but that might be an option depending on bottom metal, etc. One benefit is fattening the case means the bullet can be pushed back so that is less of a worry in the ARC.

Opening up the bolt face is the "hardest" part of the build. You can swap the stock and run AICS Grendel/ARC magazines in M5 bottom metal.

My days of fire forming ackleys when there’s comparable factory ammo are behind me.
Really the factory 88/75 would be the draw

Juan_ID

WKR
I have a spare tikka 223 just laying around
This would be a nice upgrade if I can get a smith to open the bolt face and figure out magazines

Easy, send the bolt to Justin at Kinport Peak Rifles to be be opened up and if looking to use aics mags I’m sure the mdt dasher or 6arc mags ought to work just fine. If wanting to stay with tikka mags the M mag may work with it as well.
This is an intriguing little 22cal, there may be one in my future…

amassi

WKR
Easy, send the bolt to Justin at Kinport Peak Rifles to be be opened up and if looking to use aics mags I’m sure the mdt dasher or 6arc mags ought to work just fine. If wanting to stay with tikka mags the M mag may work with it as well.

Is your 6arc in a chassis?
I’m all factory bottom metal
It looks like the plain short action mags should work

sveltri

WKR
I have a Savage 6 arc that I had in an MDT xrs, I only used a single shot follower and never looked into mags at all. I currently have the gun for sale but may need to undo that and spin up a 22 arc.

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Im just excited to load up some of the new 62 grain ELD-VT in my 8 twist 22-250! Anyone have BC numbers on that bullet yet?

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider

The 223 AI will get close to the Valkyrie but the 22 ARC is the same as the 224 Grendel and will give you another 10% over the Valkyrie.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady tends to be a LOT better at rolling out a cartridge than some, so this could be very good. The Valk was/is a great bolt gun round somewhat neutered by AR centric design. It’ll be interesting to see how Hornady deals with that problem set as they roll out their version of the 22 PPC, to match their 6 PPC and 6.5 PPC.

I‘m sorry I didn’t chrono my 6.5G (or save the data) when I had it. 6.8 SPC is the most consistent factory caliber I’ve ever measured and I would love to compare to the PPC - which I assume would be even better.

Either way, the 85 - 90 grain .224” family are VERY capable bullets (90 TMK when?) and a factory loaded cartridge pushing them at reasonable speed from a standard length action is a win in my eyes,

amassi

WKR
Hornady tends to be a LOT better at rolling out a cartridge than some, so this could be very good. The Valk was/is a great bolt gun round somewhat neutered by AR centric design. It’ll be interesting to see how Hornady deals with that problem set as they roll out their version of the 22 PPC, to match their 6 PPC and 6.5 PPC.

I‘m sorry I didn’t chrono my 6.5G (or save the data) when I had it. 6.8 SPC is the most consistent factory caliber I’ve ever measured and I would love to compare to the PPC - which I assume would be even better.

Either way, the 85 - 90 grain .224” family are VERY capable bullets (90 TMK when?) and a factory loaded cartridge pushing them at reasonable speed from a standard length action is a win in my eyes,

In the 6arc they dropped separate load data for bolts and AR
No assist with factory ammo but options were there
Sure they’ll do the same in the 22 variety

OP
wind gypsy
The 223 AI will get close to the Valkyrie but the 22 ARC is the same as the 224 Grendel and will give you another 10% over the Valkyrie.

How do you know that? 6 ARC case is slightly smaller than the grendel case.

ThatDUDE

WKR
The podcast they posted mentioned the following velocities.

75 ELD-M: Almost 3100 from 24” barrel
88 ELD-M: 2820 from a 24” barrel.

Well I’m intrigued. Wonder if they’ll be posting velocities with shorter barrels like they did with 6mm arc. Also bummed I’m so invested in 6 ARC now

If a 16” will launch the factory 75eld load at 2900 that’ll be crazy. That’s the exact same velocity my tikka 223 loaded long shoots them at.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to see a 75gr version of thr ELD VT figured they'd be pushing the 22 Creedmoor more than what they are. But I guess it's not as cool cause of the AR15 factor

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
How do you know that? 6 ARC case is slightly smaller than the grendel case.

The 22 ARC case is the same 1.52” length as the 6.5 Grendel, and not 1.49” like the ARC.
a6bf3fcb1a9b00aba8506d947641d472.jpg

Last edited:

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to see a 75gr version of thr ELD VT figured they'd be pushing the 22 Creedmoor more than what they are. But I guess it's not as cool cause of the AR15 factor

They are releasing a 80 gr ELD-X.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider

I shot 75 ELD-Ms at 3100 out of my 22” 224 Grendel. It will also shoot 90 gr A-Tips at 2825 fps which will out pace a 6 GT.