22 ARC

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. Fits in gas guns well, there will be good factory available, and you get great performance out of something that should be very well behaved. Having everything standardized and on the shelf makes it the obvious choice (to me) vs the many similar variations and wildcats, at least for 98% of shooters.

I have a 20" 22 BR on a Tikka that I shoot 88's out of around 2800, it might be my favorite rifle. This is just a factory version in a slightly different wrapper, that happens to fit in an AR if you want.

While I know the Hornady brass probably won't be excellent, it'll be serviceable and you can probably get factory loaded rounds for a similar price as Alpha or Lapua BR brass alone.

You will be able to neck down Lapua 220 Russian or Grendel brass, with no issue.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is unnecessary, but......

It would be so cool if Tikka would build a real mini action for 223, 22 ARC, and 6 ARC. I have a CZ 527, and while they aren't perfect, I have grown kind of fond of that tiny little action. I know, it's only a little bit of length difference, but I want what I want!

I agree I don’t know why there aren’t more scaled actions it seems like they would sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree I don’t know why there aren’t more scaled actions it seems like they would sell.

Just a guess here but not having a common magazine probably hinders a lot of it. I haven't seen a lot of people fond of the Howa magazine, and I'm not aware of a good bolt action using AR mags (I've excluded Ruger and Mossberg). MDT is now making a 6mm ARC mag but it's based off of the short action mag, so it's unlikely to work with the compact actions. Well they do make a howa specific one as well but it's pricy.

Personally I'd be fine with a standard action tikka with the PPC bolt face and run the M magazines.

Ultimately I doubt these cartridges have enough market share for Sako, Tikka, sauer, etc to make rifles for them.

Last edited:

WKR
Just listened to the Hornady podcast. I was hoping they would talk about big game applications, and maybe the upcoming 80gr ELD-X, but it didn't sound like they were going to slap that sleeping bear......
I bet it's similar marketing to their eld-m vs x bullets. If they came out and said, here's a cartridge that is awesome for everything from targets to varmints to moose, they would probably see a dent in larger caliber sales. Just like if they said eld-m's were great on game and targets, they'd sell one bullet instead of two.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Just a guess here but not having a common magazine probably hinders a lot of it. I haven't seen a lot of people fond of the Howa magazine, and I'm not aware of a good bolt action using AR mags (I've excluded Ruger and Mossberg). MDT is now making a 6mm ARC mag but it's based off of the short action mag, so it's unlikely to work with the compact actions. Well they do make a howa specific one as well but it's pricy.

Personally I'd be fine with a standard action tikka with the PPC bolt face and run the M magazines.

Ultimately I doubt these cartridges have enough market share for Sako, Tikka, sauer, etc to make rifles for them.

Jefferson Outdoor, and Oregon Gunsmithing both make a hinged floorplate with internal magbox, BDL style for the Howa Mini that works phenomenally well. Jefferson Outdoor also makes a conversion bottom metal for the Howa Mini, that allows you to use CZ 527 mags.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
I bet it's similar marketing to their eld-m vs x bullets. If they came out and said, here's a cartridge that is awesome for everything from targets to varmints to moose, they would probably see a dent in larger caliber sales. Just like if they said eld-m's were great on game and targets, they'd sell one bullet instead of two.

The 22 Creedmor is taking precedence with the 80 ELD-X, since Hornady is making factory ammo now, and the 22 Creedmor will be SAAMI approved in Jan.

Jefferson Outdoor, and Oregon Gunsmithing both make a hinged floorplate with internal magbox, BDL style for the Howa Mini that works phenomenally well. Jefferson Outdoor also makes a conversion bottom metal for the Howa Mini, that allows you to use CZ 527 mags.
No offense, but BDLs are gross.

I’ve seen the CZ 527 mag conversions, but how long will CZ make magazines for a discontinued rifle?

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
They are releasing a 80 gr ELD-X.
Yeah, I emailed Horizon the other day an the loaded ammo isn't expected till November, December now I never thought to ask about the bullets. Probably delayed too I imagine.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don’t see much point in the 22ARC. This is mainly because I’m not an AR15 fanatic, and I already have a 1-8 twist 224TTH(22-6mm Remington). I do however, find myself badly wanting the super lite howa mini in the 6mm ARC. I feel the 90 grain copper bullet at 2950fps ( hornady bolt gun data) would be an outstanding hunting companion! Opinions are like buttholes everyone’s got one and no one is wrong for their situation.
I would take a 22 ARC with 88 ELD-M over any copper mono you care to load in 6mm, regardless of the cartridge you choose to push it ;-). I would say the same thing of the 108 ELD-M though, so that’s more a reflection of my disdain for copper monos.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider

Interestingly, the Howa Mini (much like the 1500) is a Sako design… and Sako owns Tikka… and they used to do the 75 in like five (5) different action sizes/lengths… it’s not like Beretta/Sako/Tikka don’t have the wherewithal for this if they were so inclined. They could give the Borden Supershort a run for its money ;-).

OP
wind gypsy
Interestingly, the Howa Mini (much like the 1500) is a Sako design… and Sako owns Tikka… and they used to do the 75 in like five (5) different action sizes/lengths… it’s not like Beretta/Sako/Tikka don’t have the wherewithal for this if they were so inclined. They could give the Borden Supershort a run for its money ;-).

Oh my lort that would be it. Sako flush mag set up in a correct length action with a gunwerks ish stock.. take my money!

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I emailed Horizon the other day an the loaded ammo isn't expected till November, December now I never thought to ask about the bullets. Probably delayed too I imagine.

I’ve already asked Derek at Horizon about the bullets, he said it will be a while because everything is going to 22 CM ammo right now.

prcwv

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve already asked Derek at Horizon about the bullets, he said it will be a while because everything is going to 22 CM ammo right now.
I kinda figured. Gonna try the 75 ELDM on some whitetails in a couple weeks. Contemplating 77 Sierra tipped match kings or 70 vld Bergers

Superx3

FNG
I would take a 22 ARC with 88 ELD-M over any copper mono you care to load in 6mm, regardless of the cartridge you choose to push it ;-). I would say the same thing of the 108 ELD-M though, so that’s more a reflection of my disdain for copper monos.
I’m curious as to what makes you dislike the copper bullets? I mostly shoot sierra gamekings and have never been disappointed, but have been impressed with the Barnes ttsx and LRX on my wife’s bear (308) and my last deer (223). 55grain went through both shoulders on mule deer at 300 yards and he fell right there. IMHO I would much rather have a mono in a 6mm if an elk is in my crosshairs than an eld-m or x, maybe I’m crazy?

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider

You’ve not shot too many copper monos, have you, more specifically anything other than Barnes?