2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

CM

WKR
Thanks for putting this on. It's great practice and really helps get the gun dialed in early.

I'm sure it's a ton of work behind the scenes so thanks for all that work and to the sponsors.

I'd rather be the best shooter around and be stuck with my crappy factory stock and lowly razor spotter 😂

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Is there an official rollup of stats from this year's challenge anywhere? Overall success rates, success rates as a function of range, etc? That info from last years challenge was pretty interesting.

A few weeks ago, Caleb (@sportsmans challenge) and I went out with the intent of him to start Rokslide 2024 Cold Bore Challenge. I asked if I could participate too and signed up to be a member of the Rockslide forum. This challenge is meant to test your shooting range and prepare for hunting season. The goal is to call your own maximum range to shoot and hit a 10" target twice, without practice before your first shot or second shots. I hadn't shot since Fall of 2023 when I was preparing for my Elk hunt. I called my maximum range at 525 yards. I shot my second shot at 533 yards. Both shots were hits.

Those who participate in this challenge are then included in a drawing for numerous prizes. To my surprise and excitement, I was drawn for the Swarovski ATC Spotting Scope!

Thank you to Rokslide, @Justin Crossley, @Ryan Avery, and Swaroski for this amazing prize! I was excited to participate in this challenge for the practice and confidence boost in this upcoming hunting season. Now, I'm excited to get this scope out in the mountains for my next scouting and hunting trips!
1000020384.jpg1000020389.jpg

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
We need a volunteer!
I'm happy to do it. Is the official thread complete and correct? If so I'll use that as the reference and just work through it and compile distance and success, maybe some other data too if it's available. Might be a couple days.

stan_wa

WKR
I'm happy to do it. Is the official thread complete and correct? If so I'll use that as the reference and just work through it and compile distance and success, maybe some other data too if it's available. Might be a couple days.
@robby denning I just wanna let you know that when you ask @solarshooter for data, you better be carefully cause thats gonna be some DATA. I'm sure he wont let you down, you might even get more than you ask for.

sndmn11

WKR
A few weeks ago, Caleb (@sportsmans challenge) and I went out with the intent of him to start Rokslide 2024 Cold Bore Challenge. I asked if I could participate too and signed up to be a member of the Rockslide forum. To my surprise and excitement, I was drawn for the Swarovski ATC Spotting Scope!

View attachment 736794
Lucky duck!

That picture seems like the real-life version of "run from the bear or the man" but with the added twist of "is that the bear or the dude"?

I'm jealous of your new optic, and great shooting to boot!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A few weeks ago, Caleb (@sportsmans challenge) and I went out with the intent of him to start Rokslide 2024 Cold Bore Challenge. I asked if I could participate too and signed up to be a member of the Rockslide forum. This challenge is meant to test your shooting range and prepare for hunting season. The goal is to call your own maximum range to shoot and hit a 10" target twice, without practice before your first shot or second shots. I hadn't shot since Fall of 2023 when I was preparing for my Elk hunt. I called my maximum range at 525 yards. I shot my second shot at 533 yards. Both shots were hits.

Those who participate in this challenge are then included in a drawing for numerous prizes. To my surprise and excitement, I was drawn for the Swarovski ATC Spotting Scope!

Thank you to Rokslide, @Justin Crossley, @Ryan Avery, and Swaroski for this amazing prize! I was excited to participate in this challenge for the practice and confidence boost in this upcoming hunting season. Now, I'm excited to get this scope out in the mountains for my next scouting and hunting trips!
View attachment 736793View attachment 736794
Sweet!!!

I won something! I never win things, and I'm stoked! Thanks Rokslide and all the sponsors, can't wait to try the headlamp.

Thanks guys for putting this thing on! I am excited to have won a head lamp and thankful for the reality check to practice more in mountainous terrain!!

Macintosh

WKR
Justin and Robby and Ryan, thanks for organizing, its good motivation. I didnt expect to win anything, but its a fun carrot. My wife is pissed I didnt win though! I think she had designs on that spotter. I’ll tell her to save her pennies or saddle up herself next year. 😁

Justin and Robby and Ryan, thanks for organizing, its good motivation. I didnt expect to win anything, but its a fun carrot. My wife is pissed I didnt win though! I think she had designs on that spotter. I’ll tell her to save her pennies or saddle up herself next year. 😁
Tell her about the wife of a member that did the challenge and won it. Get her shooting and confident and next year take her with you.

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished entering all the data. I count 75 entries on the official thread, total 175 shots logged. I tried to capture rifle/ammo details, ranges, and wind speed/direction for each shot (as available). Some quick look stats:
  • Overall, 36/75 (48%) were successful on their first 2 shots
  • 45 claimed an MER <=600yds, of those:
    • 30 (66%) were successful on their first shot
    • 21 (47%) were successful on both shots
  • 30 claimed an MER >600yds, of those:
    • 15 (50%) were successful on their first 2 shots
    • 6 (20%) were successful on their first 3 shots
    • 3 (10%) were successful on all 4 shots
I'll follow up with some deeper looks but I have to run for the day. Super interesting stuff, and good work everyone who participated!

Last edited: