2023 OFFICIAL ELK MEAT POLE THREAD

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
IMG_4221.jpeg
A lot of firsts this season. First branch bull, first time using llamas hunting and first time spike camp hunting. Great trip overall and we were fortunate enough to harvest two bulls.

Mixed some of this bull with some venison and made brauts and breakfast sausage. Delicious!

Attachments

• IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4247.png
    IMG_4247.png
    1 MB · Views: 91

Tinhorn

FNG
View attachment 625110
A lot of firsts this season. First branch bull, first time using llamas hunting and first time spike camp hunting. Great trip overall and we were fortunate enough to harvest two bulls.

Mixed some of this bull with some venison and made brauts and breakfast sausage. Delicious!
Awesome. How was your experience with the llama's?

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome. How was your experience with the llama's?
Overall it was good, these guys were young, I think it was their first and second seasons packing. We took them into some pretty rough country though and all in all they did really well.

hunterjmj

WKR
Got this guy last week. Was getting late and didn't have time to set up a grip and grin. Very thankful to get all the meat for the family. When I was skinning him out I noticed a 5" section on his backstrap that was swollen so I avoided it while cutting out the straps. When I came back in the morning to pack out more meat I cut into that spot and about a cup of puss spewed out and found a broad head. The blades were gone. I'm guessing they dissolved? Anyhow, an interesting discusting find that stunk so bad it made me dry heave. IMG_2474.jpegIMG_2476.jpegIMG_2475.jpeg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
2023ElkWY.jpg
Managed to get an elk this season finally. lol. Huge cow First afternoon with rifle in Wyoming after a 29 hour drive. 462yds with 300WM. 3.5M pack out. Rough one! Herd of over 100 with 30+ bulls in the herd. Would have been nice to have a tag in that area for sure!

Rogue Bay

WKR
Got this guy last week. Was getting late and didn't have time to set up a grip and grin. Very thankful to get all the meat for the family. When I was skinning him out I noticed a 5" section on his backstrap that was swollen so I avoided it while cutting out the straps. When I came back in the morning to pack out more meat I cut into that spot and about a cup of puss spewed out and found a broad head. The blades were gone. I'm guessing they dissolved? Anyhow, an interesting discusting find that stunk so bad it made me dry heave. View attachment 626514View attachment 626516View attachment 626515
That’s crazy looking. Was any of the meat affected other than right at the wound site?

I’ve seen a couple similar wounds, but not as large and not nearly as much fluid. I can almost smell it just looking at that last photo 🤣

My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It has always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal. Over the last few years, I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and fill up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

As we walked up the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

My son and I walked directly for him. When we saw my dad, my son took off on a sprint to give him a hug. After some hooting and hollering, we let my son follow the blood trail and find the bull (it was only about 30 yards from the stand). The excitement was overwhelming. It still is. So many miles, trips, spots, and years finally paid off for my dad and my five year old got to be a part of the whole thing. After about 1,000 pictures and high fives, my dad and I got to work while my son held his little flashlight that we grabbed out of the junk drawer before we hopped in the truck.

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever."

Its not huge, but it means everything.
Awesome story!! Congrats!

hunterjmj

WKR
Cow hunts are my favorite. I’d rather eat a cow than a bull (other than a spike) and cow hunts feel less stressful to me. Congrats on a
That’s crazy looking. Was any of the meat affected other than right at the wound site?

I’ve seen a couple similar wounds, but not as large and not nearly as much fluid. I can almost smell it just looking at that last photo 🤣
I stayed clear of that spot while breaking down the bull. Didn't cut into it till the next day. No other meat was affected.

Struck big last night in Montana
4a20a9bb4b333ee109f1a763f0cc81b6.jpg

35306cb3619e364a5a5e4544bdc21e0b.jpg

e0158188f5a2977c38b320c0ef9719b9.jpg

b6066277b5de15ddd33be19951b6fc2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang thats a lot of blood. Do you like that big stabilizer out front? Is it difficult to get through the timber with it?

Sept. 18th
New Mexico, public land
Solo

Bugled this herd bull in on the 4th day of a 10-day season. The first shot was 33yds, quartering towards me quite a bit. Entrance was in the crease at the top of the bottom 3rd. Exited paunch behind the last rib at the top of the bottom 3rd.

Had a reed in my mouth and stopped him. He turned to look and was perfectly broadside. I estimated he was at around 45yds, bracketed my 40 and 50 pins on him, and sent another one. Entrance was a couple inches back from the crease at the bottom of the top 3rd. Exit was the same.

The terrain looks nice to pack through in the pictures, and it really was. I was alone and about 50 football fields from my truck though, so the bones were coming out. Got the last load to the truck and on ice around 3:30am. The superb weather and the sound of wolves howling in the dark during the pack out added an extra element of sweetness to the overall experience, a great hunt. Few are so enjoyable, even when you're coming out heavy.

Congrats to ALL of the posters in this thread!

View attachment 612112
View attachment 612114
View attachment 612127
View attachment 612116
View attachment 612118
Nice bull, How do you like those Iron Will broadheads? I was going to switch to them next year.