2023 Colorado Secondary Draw Results

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Welp, my son drew a muley tag so you won't hear me complaining. We're going to take our guns for a walk in NW Colorado for a few days with family out of a camp then head south to the u it he drew and try for a decent muley. Honestly though being his second mule deer hunt ever we won't be very picky 😉

I stopped donating $8 this year. You have better odds playing the powerball. What really annoys me is paying $8 to not draw the first draw, then seeing a few tags on the secondary draw lists that I put in for already. If people turn tags in or don't pay for them they go on the secondary draw list, then leftovers. It also seems like CPW enhances the lists with some desirable tags just to collect thousands of $8 app fees.
I'll be burning my points over the next few years, and then just hunting OTC / leftovers from here on out to avoid being pushed into poverty $8 at a time.
You must not be good at math.

Odds of winning the power all is 1:292,000,000

I guarantee you that your odds of drawing a tag in the secondary draw are much better than that.

For reference I’m 2/3 in the secondary.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Wife drew Archery bull tag for our unit in 2nd draw. 1st round she was unsuccessful.
We have been successful many times over the years in 2nd draw...

Now we have 2 Archery deer tags, her bull and my cow tag to fill in September..

Rich M

WKR
I agree with you. It’s pretty insane to me that a NR kid has complete preference over a resident adult. I understand resident youth preference but if a kid is going to be traveling from out of state for a hunt, I’m gonna assume he/he is already into hunting and doesn’t need additional recruiting
I started hunting before youth tags and believe kids should apply for hunting tags, not youth tags.

But for you to be bitching about a kid getting a permit ibstead of you shows the decline of humanity.

I want to get nasty but won’t. Go ahead and help soneone be successful this fall and it will come back to you. Test it and see. It’s the right thing to do.

KsRancher

WKR
I am all for a youth preference. Even for a NR youth in my home state. Nothing better than watching a kid have the time of their life. Last year was the first time in 25yrs that I didn't buy a Ks deer license. I have 2 yrs for my oldest boy and 4 yrs until my youngest boy is out of the house. I plan on spending the next 4yrs taking my boys doing hunts that they want to. Even if it means I don't have a tag in my pocket for 4yrs. I understand not everyone has kids or thinks like me. My oldest son snagged a doe pronghorn tag in the secondary draw in 2021. We had a blast and he got him a lope. This year he got him a 1st season bull tag in the secondary. We are already are planning it all out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess if someone can’t swing 50 bucks but can swing 17 then you’re right.
It's not the price.......it's the easy access to tags for youth......which just happen to be $17. A lot of youth don't care what they're shooting, so cow "A" tags that are easy to draw for them make sense.

Felix40

WKR
I guess if someone can’t swing 50 bucks but can swing 17 then you’re right.
Well not all of us are loaded.

If you want to take a couple kids cow elk hunting and also get them bear tags just in case…thats $68 reduced vs $200 full price. That’s a bunch of money for some of us.

Add in all the application fees and other costs to take kids hunting and it starts getting crazy expensive.

It’s a scam. Money grab in my opinion

I don’t think it’s a scam at all. They publish plenty of data that shows past draw results which if someone does their research they would clearly see whether or not they have a chance at a tag. People willingly send their money in either by their own ignorance to the data or with wishful thinking the data is somehow going to change for them giving them a chance at a tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
You must not be good at math.

Odds of winning the power all is 1:292,000,000

I guarantee you that your odds of drawing a tag in the secondary draw are much better than that.

For reference I’m 2/3 in the secondary.
0% chance for the tags I want. I know I have absolutely no chance and don’t waste my money. I don’t want some crap 3rd choice leftover, cow/doe tag or some piss poor archery tag.

I’ll take my money and play the lotto instead. At least there is a “chance” to win even though it’s horrible odds. Those odds are still better than 0%

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Well not all of us are loaded.

If you want to take a couple kids cow elk hunting and also get them bear tags just in case…thats $68 reduced vs $200 full price. That’s a bunch of money for some of us.

Add in all the application fees and other costs to take kids hunting and it starts getting crazy expensive.
I wouldn't consider people who can afford that price loaded, but some of us forget there was a time when $100 was harder to come by. It wasn't that many years ago I was there and it's easy to forget .
Thanks for the reminder, sincerely.

Felix40

WKR
I wouldn't consider people who can afford that price loaded, but some of us forget there was a time when $100 was harder to come by. It wasn't that many years ago I was there and it's easy to forget .
Thanks for the reminder, sincerely.
That’s a fair point.

I was just thinking that anyone who says things like they would PREFER to pay $150 per youth license must be living a very different lifestyle than me.

For my kid, I just want to be able to get a couple tags and hunt around the house without a bunch of pressure. I don’t want a few hundred dollars worth of tags making me forget that we are just out there for the kid to have fun.

I stopped donating $8 this year. You have better odds playing the powerball. What really annoys me is paying $8 to not draw the first draw, then seeing a few tags on the secondary draw lists that I put in for already. If people turn tags in or don't pay for them they go on the secondary draw list, then leftovers. It also seems like CPW enhances the lists with some desirable tags just to collect thousands of $8 app fees.
I'll be burning my points over the next few years, and then just hunting OTC / leftovers from here on out to avoid being pushed into poverty $8 at a time.
Colorado needs to have money upfront for the primary like New Mexico.

Turning in a tag after you have drawn it should incur a fee. People apply here and turn in back in if it doesn't fit their schedule. Ruins it for people that didn't draw a tag and then you see 30 tags pop up in the secondary for your primary choice.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado needs to have money upfront for the primary like New Mexico.

Turning in a tag after you have drawn it should incur a fee. People apply here and turn in back in if it doesn't fit their schedule. Ruins it for people that didn't draw a tag and then you see 30 tags pop up in the secondary for your primary choice.
This! ☝🏼
Go back to the way it was where you have to pay to play.