2021 Wyoming General Elk Tag

young7.3

WKR
Id say youll be ok. With that being said, my dad and I are putting into the general pool with 4 points each this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Another thing to keep in mind, there is no set quota for general NR elk tags.

General tag numbers change depending on how many full price LQ tags are issued. General tags are issued to make up the balance between LQ tags and the statutory 7250 full priced tags issued to NR's.

You're gonna draw with 3.5 points.

Based on trends from passed years and the virus, I was planning on having very high odds to draw with 3 points in 2021.

CMF

WKR
I'm hoping to draw in 2022 with 3.

It looks like Wy has been issuing 12-13k nonresident tags the past few years. Anyone know how many of those are general vs limited?

I'm hoping to draw in 2022 with 3.

It looks like Wy has been issuing 12-13k nonresident tags the past few years. Anyone know how many of those are general vs limited?
WY only issues 7250 full price NR elk licenses between LQ and general. Depending on how many LQ tags there are the general makes up the difference. Usually it’s about 3750 General tags.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
grossklw..how many pref points did you have last year when you didn't draw? My group will have an average of 3, this will be my son's last year of being a youth hunter and would like to take advantage of the youth license price in regular draw. The special doesn't have a discounted youth price
Sorry I'm just seeing this now. 2.25 if I remember correctly, I was scamming points from buddies to try and get back. Ended up having a tough, but fun hunt in Idaho instead.

Last edited:

CMF

WKR
WY only issues 7250 full price NR elk licenses between LQ and general. Depending on how many LQ tags there are the general makes up the difference. Usually it’s about 3750 General tags.
So 3750 general tags x 60% Regular draw equals 2250 tags
2250 tags x 75% for max draw pool = 1687 Available tags for max draw pool

Total applications at 3 points or greater in
2019 = 984
2018 = 572

Based on the same increase, you could expect ~1400 applications from 3 points or greater leaving 287 tags for <3 points

Does that look right?

edit: this is 2019 data so forecast for 2020, I guess if it continues into 2021 you'd expect 1988 applications from 3 points or better, putting odds at ~ 84% for 3pts ?

Last edited:
So 3750 general tags x 60% Regular draw equals 2250 tags
2250 tags x 75% for max draw pool = 1687 Available tags for max draw pool

Total applications at 3 points or greater in
2019 = 984
2018 = 572

Based on the same increase, you could expect ~1400 applications from 3 points or greater leaving 287 tags for <3 points

Does that look right?
Seems about right. This year in the NR regular draw there were 285 tags available for <3 and 491 1st choice apps in the pool.

nvarcher

FNG
Our group is going in with >1.. I’ll trade ya

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Have 8 points going into next year. Hunted general with my oldest this past year for rifle. I’d say for everyone around 0-5 points general is best you can. Lots of good units to hunt especially if you don’t mind grizzlies. If your low on points and want to average up, let me know. Need to bring something to the table though.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely not. If you want a General license now you have to make it your first choice and use your points.
Curious, when exactly did this change? I have 6 points and was contemplating applying for special NR unit 91 and a general tag unit 21 as second choice. But I don't want to burn my points on a general tag. What's a guy to do with 6 points burning a hole in his pocket?

Funny thing is that several years ago I had no points, no time and no $$ it seemed. Now I have more of each, notably - time. But it seems the goal posts keep getting further and further away.

BuzzH

WKR
General tags aren't unit specific and there are no general tags available as a 2nd choice anymore.

Used to be a chance to draw a general on a second choice as a NR in the special draw, that ship sailed quite a while ago.

With 6 points, your best bet is probably general.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin and I hunt together and he's got 8 points but wants to save them. After a lot of reading this morning and a call to game and fish I'm not sure what to do exactly.

I'm in a position where I'm tired of busting my ass here in Oregon only to pass up small 5x5's, raghorns and spikes or succumbing and punching my tag on one. I'm 8-10 years away from a premier unit in Oregon and God only knows how they'll look then. I'm 43, have a 5 year old son who shoots his 22 and bow fairly well and is always talking about wallhangers...need to be thinking of him accompanying me on something epic in 8-10+ years or so.

My objective is to acclimate myself to coming to full draw on 330+/- bulls at a minimum. Obviously I'd like to also knock them over, have lots of meat, be an elk hero etc... Looking to me like my best option is to pay to play somewhere.

Question, can a guy apply for a type 9 tag and if he draws on a 2nd choice preserve his points? If so, what are the odds of drawing a type 9 as 2nd choice (I realize its unit specific, but if a guy wanted a decent unit that, if he was willing to climb, hike 10 miles a day, be out there, ride a bike, whatever - would likely provide a few opportunities at decent bulls)?

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
General tags aren't unit specific and there are no general tags available as a 2nd choice anymore.

Used to be a chance to draw a general on a second choice as a NR in the special draw, that ship sailed quite a while ago.

With 6 points, your best bet is probably general.
I guess I misunderstood the regs years ago the last time I read through them. I responded to the post below yours also. Are the general tags of any of the types? In other words a NR general or NR special isn't distinguished further by the type (type 9 specifically)? If I understand this Rube/Goldberg machine correctly there's no way I can hunt Wyoming without spending my points? If true, fine, just would like to know with certainty so I can complete my pros/cons of the options I'm looking at this year. Thanks in advance!