2021 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Am I too late to get in on the Cold Start Challenge? I’m super down to get in on this. I feel my MER is 40 yards. Happy shooting everyone!!!
I believe there are still some slots open on the other thread! Go read the rules, then send it!

I’ve personally drawn on mule deer, then they moved behind a tree so I let down. Side step, redraw and fire. It’s very common in my opinion and if you told everyone that once they draw their bow and are REQUIRE to fire it no matter what you’re asking for target panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I have frequently let down after a shot opportunity passed. Sometimes I have gotten another, sometimes I haven't.

How many times have you gotten to full draw on an animal and had a perfectly good shot and said, my grip doesn't feel quite right, or my release is in my hand a little funny and let down and drawn back again?

I'm not saying that it's a requirement to draw your bow and fire it either. But doing 3 draw cycles to warm your joints and muscles up, then deciding to take your "cold" shot?

How many times have you drawn back on an animal with the intention of letting down?

I normally wait til I think I have a shot, or am about to

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I have frequently let down after a shot opportunity passed. Sometimes I have gotten another, sometimes I haven't.

How many times have you gotten to full draw on an animal and had a perfectly good shot and said, my grip doesn't feel quite right, or my release is in my hand a little funny and let down and drawn back again?

I'm not saying that it's a requirement to draw your bow and fire it either. But doing 3 draw cycles to warm your joints and muscles up, then deciding to take your "cold" shot?

How many times have you drawn back on an animal with the intention of letting down?

I normally wait til I think I have a shot, or am about to

The great thing about this competition is that it doesn't matter, heck guys can be lying about distance and how many shots they took but who cares. This is a competition with yourself only. There is no score so who cares if one guy has a bunch of hacks to help with his cold shot.

Personally, I agree with you though Billy Goat. I think stepping up and shooting is the way to do it. Trying to simulate a real hunting situation is the goal. Drawing the bow and practicing your pin float and letting down then shooting 10 seconds later is not at all like a hunting situation.

The great thing about this competition is that it doesn't matter, heck guys can be lying about distance and how many shots they took but who cares. This is a competition with yourself only. There is no score so who cares if one guy has a bunch of hacks to help with his cold shot.

Personally, I agree with you though Billy Goat. I think stepping up and shooting is the way to do it. Trying to simulate a real hunting situation is the goal. Drawing the bow and practicing your pin float and letting down then shooting 10 seconds later is not at all like a hunting situation.

This is very true however when I'm hunting I'm not angry like a crappy day at work. Took me a second today to remember to not be angry with the bow.

Hey @robby denning, I saw your note about kill zone size, here’s what I put;

“Trying to hit the black circle but it's a 14" target so if I hit it that will be good enough for an elk.”

Is that specific enough? Or should I edit it? Post #35 I think in the challenge.

Pretty happy to be done, I might do it again on my own closer to the season to see if I’ve gotten better.
Thanks for the opportunity to enter!

This is my first time doing the challenge. I think it’s a great idea. I like just putting it all on one arrow and making it count. I feel that I have way more focus and concentration. Sometimes I really need to remember that when I’m practicing regularly, that every arrow is that arrow of a lifetime. It’s hard with nothing on the line to do that. But even just knowing you gotta put a picture of that shot does something to my concentration.

I’m gonna be trying for 60 yards. I don’t normally get shots that far here. But it’s all about getting better and pushing that limits of your self right? I’m sure in the next coming yours I’ll be needing that 60+ MER. Any ways. Good stuff here. Great idea. Glad to be apart of it.

Hey @robby denning, I saw your note about kill zone size, here’s what I put;

“Trying to hit the black circle but it's a 14" target so if I hit it that will be good enough for an elk.”

Is that specific enough? Or should I edit it? Post #35 I think in the challenge.

No bud, you’re good. Talking about guys shooting at a blank bale with a little piece of tape! Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KBC
Not the best decision to use the new bow with only a handful of arrows through it. Quick sight in and giving it a go. Couple more days of the challenge then the bow gets to go in the press to sync timing and get the draw weight to spec. The wind has also been brutal here which definitely plays a big role in effective range at an animal. The shots I've taken gor this challenge are not shots I would take in the field. The challenge is a great idea and a very good reality check on what your range really is or isn't. Will continue this throughout summer and into fall to see the progression.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Got er done! At least on the compound side of things, lets not talk about the struggle stick. Very happy with my shooting this year, don't worry though I did still manage to screw up my last minute sight tape somehow so all 5 shots were 4" high, we all have to embarrass ourselves a little bit though right? Shaved off 2 yards after my last arrow and shot this 1" group at 55 which is probably my best group ever, goal is 65-70 next year!

1619064003566.png

My first time in the CBC and it was humbling. Finished 2/5 with some disappointing misses that likely wouldn't have happened on a typical range shooting day. Funny how much pressure knowing that I'd have to post my shots online added. Clearly my initial MER of 50 yards is too far for blacktail's 6" vitals. My 3 misses were around 4" - 4.5" from center so 50 would've worked for bigger targets. Thanks to Robbie and Travis for holding this challenge. It's good to get knocked off your high horse from time to time.

It's something you need to do, and it's generally the best shot you can take. However I doubt very many can actually let down once they came to full draw on an animal. I know I very rarely do.
In the spirit of conversation, the last bull I shot I let down 3 different times on and shot him on my 4th draw. Every time I would get to full draw and get settled he would do just enough to make me uncomfortable with the shot. My first draw was at 41 yards and the last one was at 73 yards but he stood prefect broadside and didn't move a muscle while I put one through his heart.

Back