2021 Gear Performance

I needed a new pair of boots halfway through season, ended up with the lowa tibet gtx they fit awesome! Zero blisters, no break in. They leak like none other, jump across one creek my feet will be wet, hunt a morning in a few inches of snow wet feet. New boots shouldn't do this. I treated them with leather treatment I know works but it didn't help. Hopefully I can get in contact with lowa to get them checked out.

My MSR reasctor died on me. Awesome stove for two years all the sudden it won't boil water. takes over 8 minutes to barely boil when its normally 2 or less. Tried to contact MSR's customer service to find out it sucks apparently it takes up to 8 weeks to get an email reply, pretty pathetic. I took the stove apart to find out it's a very simple design and there's nothing I can find that needs to be fixed or cleaned.

I picked up a pair of Outdoor Research Tradecraft zip-on puffy pants on a steep discount. These things were a lifesaver, and surprisingly durable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only things I replaced this year were pants, swapped out the Kuiu Pro & Attack for First Lite Corrugate Foundry & Kuiu Kutana.

I will most definitely be posting my Corrugate Foundry on the classifieds, I was shocked how much I disliked them vs. all the glowing reviews on here when they first came out. Super baggy, super hot when moving, the knee pads make you sweat like hell, just didn’t like anything about them besides the pocket configuration.

The Kutana on the other hand, are absolutely stellar. Wore them in a torrential all day downpour w/high winds in Washington, Gaiters + Rain Jacket only, and I was able to hike them dry or sit under a tree and skin dry them within 15-30 minutes each time.

Next year my set up will either be Kuiu Pro or Talus & Kuiu Kutana.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Down puffy pants🥰felt like the kid from Christmas story who could not get up but I was the one laughing as my buddy shivered🤣

I picked up a pair of Outdoor Research Tradecraft zip-on puffy pants on a steep discount. These things were a lifesaver, and surprisingly durable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I did the same. Pretty happy with them and the discounted price was awesome! I looked the other day and they are back up over $300.

buzzy

WKR
I did the same. Pretty happy with them and the discounted price was awesome! I looked the other day and they are back up over $300.
Willing to share how or where you found this deal and approximate price range?? Thanks

Willing to share how or where you found this deal and approximate price range?? Thanks
They were $90. It was just on their website. Not sure why they discounted them so much. Someone mentioned it here on a thread so I snagged a pair.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
this may be the very first year where I didn't use any new gear- wtf?

I do have a new shelter- a Tarptent Stratospire Li that will get used next week on a 3-4 day trip; I have a solo TT Aeon Li that I used on a couple of trips this year- the Stratospire will be roomier, double wall construction and should be better with snow/wind (although the Aeon has been pretty damn good in rougher conditions, especially considering it's a 1 lb shelter!)

I lied :D I have a new Sitka Kelvin Active hoody- stellar performance, but lacks sleeves

np307

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't really have any new gear that I used this year, but I did put my gear into new situations with my first elk hunt.

Cheap Amazon gaiters did great in the snow.

Irish Setter elk trackers continued to provide comfortable miles and do reasonably well with managing water (I did treat them multiple times in the weeks leading up to the trip).

Barnes 168g ttsx expanded perfectly. Not a drt so I followed up but the elk never got up.

Thankfully we were able to eat at camp each day because my old faithful Stanley cooking pot did not work well with my non MH meal selections. I think I'll invest in a better pot and cup setup in the future.

I did decide to relegate my 20 degree flannel bag to non-hunting duty once we got back as I found a 0 degree down bag for a good price on ebay.

Buddy heater worked like a champ the whole time we were on the mountain.

First aid kit I assembled worked perfectly as its mere presence prevented us from needing to use it.

Only gear failure was the mouthpiece and hose on my water bladder froze up on day 2. Probably more of my inexperience with temps that cold than it was the bladder's fault.

New gear in order of importance:

Swarovski 10x32 NL-
These are incredible. It doesn’t get better for mountain hunting.

Sitka Gear Dewpoint Set (2021 Edition) -
This rain gear is an improvement over the last Dewpoint series. Light, fairly durable and works better for me than any other lightweight rain gear.

Mountain Laurel Designs DCF Duomid (2021 model) -
Slightly bigger than my previous version with some nice improvements as well.

Argali Ultralight Game Bags-
Lighter than the Caribou Gear bags I was using before and made of a material that does not absorb blood. They clean up nicely with no smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Coyote- 10* Custom XX-Wide/Long Quilt

Used 2nd season elk. Quilt virgin…I’m sold! I’ve never slept so well before. Warm…lofty…comfy

If you’re contemplating a quilt… give Brian a call!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaegerWI

FNG
The only things I replaced this year were pants, swapped out the Kuiu Pro & Attack for First Lite Corrugate Foundry & Kuiu Kutana.

I will most definitely be posting my Corrugate Foundry on the classifieds, I was shocked how much I disliked them vs. all the glowing reviews on here when they first came out. Super baggy, super hot when moving, the knee pads make you sweat like hell, just didn’t like anything about them besides the pocket configuration.

The Kutana on the other hand, are absolutely stellar. Wore them in a torrential all day downpour w/high winds in Washington, Gaiters + Rain Jacket only, and I was able to hike them dry or sit under a tree and skin dry them within 15-30 minutes each time.

Next year my set up will either be Kuiu Pro or Talus & Kuiu Kutana.
How were the fit of the Kutanas compared to the FL corrugates? I'm debating between these two. I'm normally a 32 in FL pants. Did you need to change sizes between the two companies?

How were the fit of the Kutanas compared to the FL corrugates? I'm debating between these two. I'm normally a 32 in FL pants. Did you need to change sizes between the two companies?
32x32 here, FL pants were way too short (kept coming up over the tops of my Schnee's Timberline boots). Kuiu pants were perfect.

Both waists seemed true to size enough that I didn't notice anything good or bad.

JaegerWI

FNG
32x32 here, FL pants were way too short (kept coming up over the tops of my Schnee's Timberline boots). Kuiu pants were perfect.

Both waists seemed true to size enough that I didn't notice anything good or bad.
Thank you, I ordered a 32 and 34 to cover my bases.

nobody

WKR
Worked well (new for 2021): Klymit Inflatable Sleeping Pad, Vortex Razor UHD 10x50, Mystery Ranch Metcalf, Kuiu Pro Bino Harness, Kahles 7x25 RF-M Rangefinder (After the Warranty Fiasco and Runaround), Cheap, cradle style tripod bino adapter from Amazon (can share link if anybody is interested, it cost me about 12 bucks and works fantastic!), Vortex Diamondback HD 15x56 Binos (these were a pleasant surprise considering the cost) Killik (Sportsman's Warehouse Brand) Camouflage and Clothing/Gear, Crispi Idaho GTX Non-Insulated

Getting/Has been replaced: Cheap Amazon Ultralight Sleeping Bag, Slik Aluminum Tripod (love the fluid head, love the stability, but need to shed about 1.5 lbs for backpacking. Keeping for use at the range)

UTTER GARBAGE, DON'T BUY: Killik K2800 - I feel the need to share a PSA on this pack. It's a sportsman's warehouse special, sportsman's brand. I work there and get a good discount, but these are always on every sale we run. You can get an external frame pack with a load shelf and 2800 cubic inches of capacity for less than $250, less than $180 on sales. The frame LITERALLY buckled under 90 lbs when my buddy and I packed out his mule deer and our camp this october. In order to get everything out, we tied it back together and lashed stuff together with paracord. Luckily it had the "lifetime guarantee" so I walked into the store, with the pack crumpled and bloody, and they gave me a refund. Bottom line, avoid it like the PLAGUE.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE Uinta early season pants absolutely exceeded my expectations spot and stalk antelope hunting this year. Extremely light weight with hip zips and after crawling around through cactus and rock all week wearing no knee pads, did not have a single thread pull or scratch on them. Definitely impressed and got them on sale taking a chance since I already liked the Hardscrabble pants.

Black Gold Mountain Ascent lite bow sight- Very durable and easy to get sighted in out to 60 yards. Has 3 axis's to shoot elevation. Now remembering to slide the sight back up before taking a 25 yard chip shot is another story...

Day Six Arrows- Bumped up my arrow weight this year since I have a short draw length and can't get speeds I would want anyways so increased to around 520g and these arrows with 50 grain collars and 50 grain inserts just flat out hit hard. Also plane out better at distance and don't see as much arrow drop out at 60 yards as my previous light set up. Bury to the fletching at pretty much every distance I shoot out to

sargent

WKR
My new Tarptent Aeon Li performed really well in some tough conditions, as did my Crispi Wild Rock plus boots and cheap amazon down booties for sleeping.

The blades on my Gerber vital knife kept coming off, like the little metal tab that holds the back wasn't strong enough. I've already sent one in and had it replaced for the same issue. Time to move on.

Benchmade Steep Country. Skinned and quartered 2 does back to back. Excellent shape for the task. Touched up once on a little diamond stone. Final butchering with custom Meatcrafter. Another excellent knife.

Copper Spur UL2. By far my best one man tent.

Pocket Rocket Deluxe. Great little 3 oz stove. Igniter. Simmer mode. 10,400 btu. Altitude compensation.

Sitka Mountain Pants: Super comfortable, a little warm for the early season, amazing 40-60, they kept me warm glassing in the 20s with a base layer.
I’ve had these a couple years and agree: So good! I hunt late season elk and these are great in the cold. So light, but warm, and pretty water resistant. Would buy again at full price in a heartbeat.
ended up with the lowa tibet gtx they fit awesome! Zero blisters, no break in. They leak like none other, jump across one creek my feet will be wet, hunt a morning in a few inches of snow wet feet. New boots shouldn't do this. I treated them with leather treatment I know works but it didn't help.
Had same experience with Lowa gtx boots. Fit great and good for summer wear. Leak like a sieve, though.

Also really enjoyed my new FirstLite kiln hoody. My first piece of merino and it did not disappoint. Warm, light, comfy, didn’t smell after 3 days of hunting (unlike my polypro). Hood was nice from a warmth standpoint but fit a little weird, but I have a pin head so YMMV. Wouldn’t have bought it for my self, but my wife was having trouble shopping for our “wool” anniversary so I made a suggestion.