2021 Gear Performance

Feel free to chime in. What worked well for you and what will you be replacing? The longer I stay in the game, the more I’m upgrading what hasn’t met my expectations, or I feel could be better, or always looking for better.

I had several upgrades this year that worked great! First I am not an ounce counter. I know what I need so whatever it weighs, it weighs.

I made a couple changes. I purchased the MSR Windburner and have retired my Pocket Rocket. Very pleased with the performance in wind, rain and a little snow. High elevation 28 oz boil time was more than adequate and faster than the Pocket Rocket. Definitely recommend.

I originally started out with the Xped UL7 sleeping pad 10 years ago. The yellow one. It expanded and popped a baffle during a summer fishing trip when left in the car inflated in the NM heat 4 or 5 years later. Totally my fault. The next few years I tried a couple Sea to Summit models. Both had issues. I am a cold sleeper and am willing to pay the weight penalty for the Xped 9. I filled it and forgot it. It never lost air, and made a big difference keeping warm. If you don’t mind a little more weight? I highly recommend.

and my next upgrade is sleep related also. I bought the zero degree Kifaru Slick Bag. No more Marmot bag for me. It was a 15 degree bag but I would be cold in 25-30 degree nights. Temps this year ranged in low to mid 30’s and I never got cold once.
Again a small weight penalty but when we are talking sleep, I want to be well rested. Especially on extended hunts at high elevation.

boots. I bought a pair Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters since last elk season. Used them last January in AZ which was a good test for spot n stalk style deer hunting in lower but rocky dry terrain. They got an A for that hunt but the true test wouldn’t come until this past elk hunt. Deadfall, water, cold mornings, and steep! At first I was apprehensive because several years ago the website stated something like “order the same size as previous Meindl models if you’ve owned Meindl boots before”. Now on the website it says to go half size smaller than what your foot measures. I ordered the same size 10D that my previous Meindl’s were and the boots performed flawlessly! I just wish they had a little more insulation. My feet were cold the last couple mornings unless I was moving. But that only lasted for a short time until it got to 40 and above as the temps climbed. I give the boot an A. If the boot had another 200 gr of thinsulate or equivalent, I’d give them an A+.

I will unfortunately be replacing my tent for next year. I currently use the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I got it used several years back and it’s been a good tent. However several holes have developed near the zippers on either side and a trekking pole went thru the rain fly several years ago that I had patched. There’s no effective patching I can do on the holes in the mesh. However even slightly damaged, it has never leaked. I like the tent so much, I may buy another Copper Spur UL2. It has the room I need for me and my stuff in the backcountry.

Last edited:
Benchmade Altitude gets a D-. I used it for moose and could not get through a quarter. Very disappointed.
Benchmade meatcrafter Meateater gets A+. Flew through moose and needed very little touch up.
Crispi Summits get a D. If it wasn’t for the ankle support I would have given a F. These boots tore me up. I guess we don’t get along.
Pnuma Waypoint vest gets an A. Fits well and stops the wind. Best vest I have had since the jetstream.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Three new items for me that impressed on their first test, each acquired courtesy of the opinions here on the slide.

Backcountry Bourne game bags--light, strong, a perfect fit for a boned deer, and carry tight in the pack.

Big Agnes AXL air pad--someone flagged a fire sale on these. It gave me seven straight nights of good backpacking sleep, a few of them in the low teens. (Jury is out on durability.) Huge improvement over my ProLite.

Sawyer water filter--not as fast as my other filters, but a great weight saver.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Feel free to chime in. What worked well for you and what will you be replacing? The longer I stay in the game, the more I’m upgrading what hasn’t met my expectations, or I feel could be better, or always looking for better.

I had several upgrades this year that worked great! First I am not an ounce counter. I know what I need so whatever it weighs, it weighs.

I made a couple changes. I purchased the MSR Windburner and have retired my Pocket Rocket. Very pleased with the performance in wind, rain and a little snow. High elevation 28 oz boil time was more than adequate and faster than the Pocket Rocket. Definitely recommend.

I originally started out with the Xped UL7 sleeping pad 10 years ago. The yellow one. It expanded and popped a baffle during a summer fishing trip when left in the car inflated in the NM heat 4 or 5 years later. Totally my fault. The next few years I tried a couple Sea to Summit models. Both had issues. I am a cold sleeper and am willing to pay the weight penalty for the Xped 9. I filled it and forgot it. It never lost air, and made a big difference keeping warm. If you don’t mind a little more weight? I highly recommend.

and my next upgrade is sleep related also. I bought the zero degree Kifaru Slick Bag. No more Marmot bag for me. It was a 15 degree bag but I would be cold in 25-30 degree nights. Temps this year ranged in low to mid 30’s and I never got cold once.
Again a small weight penalty but when we are talking sleep, I want to be well rested. Especially on extended hunts at high elevation.

boots. I bought a pair Meindl Comfort Fit Hunters since last elk season. Used them last January in AZ which was a good test for spot n stalk style deer hunting in lower but rocky dry terrain. They got an A for that hunt but the true test wouldn’t come until this past elk hunt. Deadfall, water, cold mornings, and steep! At first I was apprehensive because several years ago the website stated something like “order the same size as previous Meindl models if you’ve owned Meindl boots before”. Now on the website it says to go half size smaller than what your foot measures. I ordered the same size 10D that my previous Meindl’s were and the boots performed flawlessly! I just wish they had a little more insulation. My feet were cold the last couple mornings unless I was moving. But that only lasted for a short time until it got to 40 and above as the temps climbed. I give the boot an A. If the boot had another 200 gr of thinsulate or equivalent, I’d give them an A+.

I will unfortunately be replacing my tent for next year. I currently use the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I got it used several years back and it’s been a good tent. However several holes have developed near the zippers on either side and a trekking pole went thru the rain fly several years ago that I had patched. There’s no effective patching I can do on the holes in the mesh. However even slightly damaged, it has never leaked. I like the tent so much, I may buy another Copper Spur UL2. It has the room I need for me and my stuff in the backcountry.
The bug mesh on my copper spur failed by the zippers. And they warrantied it and sent me an entire new tent. Probably worth a try

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Made it out for a week in Colorado for OTC Elk. Over the course of that week:

Switched from Sawyer Mini to Katadyn BeFree 3L Gravity system. This mimic'd my Sawyer/CNOC bladder combo, but with a significantly faster flow rate and less effort. I'll stick with the Katadyn even though they aren't rated to last as long.

I think I'm ditching the 450ml Toaks mug for the 750ml. The 750 seemed to boil water faster and with less fuel. I had the 450 for coffee/tea, but didn't drink enough to warrant having it in the pack. Plus, everything will nest in the 750 (Soto Amicus, small fuel canister, lighter, bandana).

I need to upgrade some clothing layers to have a few more options in the field when it gets cold, but I'm still trying to figure out which route to go in terms of layers.

I also want to add a bow sling/cover to protect the cams & strings while on my back, or make carrying easier.

Otherwise, I felt pretty dialed in for the week we spent in the woods. I'm very happy with how everything performed and only those couple tweaks should give me what I need.

Katadyn Be Free filter was great for 3 people in camp. Easy, fast, low maintenance. We used the 6L version. Bring an 18" section of 3/4" landscape tubing and the bag is much easier to fill in small creeks.

Resized_IMG_0443_183193315219751.jpeg

Big Agnes Q-Core SLX - comfortable, keeps you centered on the pad. Easy to adjust air pressure once inflated.

Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener. Small, light, very effective. Remove the metal plates to save some weight. The ceramic rod and leather strop are capable of keeping an edge plenty sharp.

Garmin Instinct Solar Watch. Love this watch. With any sun, no charger needed for a 7+ day hunt. Serves as a backup GPS if needed.

Last edited:
OP
trophyhill
Katadyn Be Free filter was great for 3 people in camp. Easy, fast, low maintenance. We used the 6L version. Bring an 18" section of 3/4" landscape tubing and the bag is much easier to fill in small creeks.

View attachment 332129

Big Agnes Q-Core SLX - comfortable, keeps you centered on the pad. Easy to adjust air pressure once inflated.

Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener. Small, light, very effective. Remove the metal plates to save some weight. The ceramic rod and leather strop are cable of keeping an edge plenty sharp.

Garmin Instinct Solar Watch. Love this watch. With any sun, no charger needed for a 7+ day hunt. Serves as a backup GPS if needed.

love the tube! That’s a gem! Will definitely have to consider that for all future hunts!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Worked well: Komperdell carbon trekking poles. Vasque (don't know the model) leather gtx boots. Kuiu socks. Kuiu pack. REI essentials rain pants. Moraknife. Petzl bindi headlamp. Black Diamond stormline rain jacket (perfect balance of features, performance and cost for colorado use). Cheap sunglasses.

Whats getting replaced: My hunting partner :)

I added a Kowa 773 and I am really impressed with it. The 25-60x wide angle lens is clear from edge to edge and gives a great view.

Pittman bullets were awesome.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Rainier Knives Fastpak - Processed my antelope without touch up and then saved my friend from his dull Benchmade when he struggled with his. Two antelopes aren't huge compared to an elk or moose but it still slices through a piece of paper with no tearing despite no sharpening/honing since, so I'm confident it'll do just fine on larger animals also.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Worked well:
Kifaru 5-string stuff sack: Love the design but was skeptical of durability when I first purchased. Has been on multiple trips and holding up great. Really like how it compresses from the sides which makes packing more efficient.

Hilleberg Nallo 2: I've had this tent for three seasons now and continue to like it more and more, it is absolutely bulletproof. However, I've decided to get something lighter for scouting trips or summertime hiking trips that is not so heavy. I purchased a tarp from another member on here to use for shorter trips where I don't necessarily need the Nallo

Behall

FNG
Upgraded my sleeping pad to a neo air thermal rest and was a great investment over my klymit pad. Also the new Salomon Quest boots were a huge improvement!

Behall

FNG
Platypus QuickDraw - loved it and blew my buddies Sawyer mini out of the water. I prefer it to my squeeze. It has its purpose in my kit for alpine use where I won’t have to filter a bunch of swamp water.

Kifaru Duplex Lite/Muskeg 7k/ Guide lid - I can’t see myself swapping to another brand. The frame handles heavy weight extremely well. Packed out all my gear and half a sheep with comfort. Pair it with a 65L Sea to Summit dry bag and you have a wicked combo for putting meat in the bag. I’m done with meat shelves.

Marsupial Enclosed - After messing around with a bunch of harnesses over the past few years It’s the ticket at least for my needs

12 x NL Pures - I’ve never been a big 10x guy mainly because I have always loved 8x for the FOV and steadiness. They just work better in the brush but I always felt limited in alpine/open country. 12x I can hand hold and are weapons off a tripod. Zero regrets.

Sirui ST-124 / VA-5 - I’m done with ultralight tripods, extremely happy with this setup.
How does your va-5 handle spotting scopes?

S.Clancy

WKR
I dont really buy much stuff, but I just picked up a Meopta S2 in the Cabelas version. I really like my Meopta binos, so went with their spotter. Short story, it's awesome. No regrets on jumping up to some serious $$$. Doubtful I'll ever need more. I'll have it in the field almost 30 days by the end of November, can't wait.