2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Fatcamp

WKR
Guess we'll be racing to shoot in the morning :lol:

Youth turkey season opened up here in WI but my tag isn't valid for just over a month!!! Been seeing turkeys every few days behind the house too!! I'm sure they'll be gone by my season.

Good luck with the gobblers!

LOL. Biggest decision I have to make is which vehicles headlights I'm gonna use to shoot at 0001. ;)

We are hunting a mentor tag which is cool for him. I'm just there to help him and keep everything safe. Heard a couple birds get killed and got to see a fancy gobbler struttin and gobblin so off to a good start. He is pretty excited to go back out but we have ANOTHER winter storm coming tonight.

He is actually doing his own 1 shot a day challenge. Every day we shoot 1 hunting load at 17 paces on a turkey head target. He has been doing really well.

Funny thing is problem with this challenge is you shoot one arrow and get the itch to shoot more and can’t. Dusted the cobwebs off the bow now have to wait awhile. What a great way to start the spring off.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Funny thing is problem with this challenge is you shoot one arrow and get the itch to shoot more and can’t. Dusted the cobwebs off the bow now have to wait awhile. What a great way to start the spring off.
yip. thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have plenty of friends who have similar stories, and I have read many here so I know that I am not alone in this situation, but still, this one was mine, and it stung, deeply.

count me in that group. Just about everything in your story has happened to me with bow, rifle, and muzzleloader.

I've come to believe it's part of the learning curve.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby I was thinking it would be cool to post a video for my 5th shoot. I think I’ve seen that before in some past challenges. Would that be allowed or photos only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yip, mine's in post 15. Brings a whole new level to potential embarrasment, but does add pressure. Video counts like a pic, but makes it easy on the mods if you post a pic along with the video. You'll see what I did if you jump back to that post. Mine's on the long side as I have to explain the Challenge too.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders Travis, Sam, and me have been on the Challenge thread all day. We're finding that (why would I be surprised) that people still don't read the flippin' rules.

there's a rash of guys posting MERs of like 30 yards but shooting equipment that a 12 year old could get to 40-60 yards.

We can't cater to people being on lockdown and having to shoot in their flower gardens or the whole purpose of this challenge falls apart. I clearly spelled it out in the rules and on this thread multiple times that MERs need to be realistic.

So if you hear we're being mean and deleting posts with unrealistically short MERs, it's true!

I wanna save the slots for the guys (and gals) who will actually get something out of the challenge by pushing their MER a bit.

Just a heads up, appreciate your support if you see anything out there looking funky. I want this to be a real challenge, and I can't help that a few people are on such strict lockdown that they can't go exercise with their bow in a woodlot. Every year I got guys driving 15 miles each way to shoot one arrow for five days, so I know it can be done if someone really wants to participate, at least for most people.

This'll keep the odds good for those pushing themselves.

Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be amazed if you didn't make it. Remember, it's taken us three weeks to get to 125 shooters in the past. granted more people are home and Randy's in the house, but you should be good. 200 is a lot of shooters
I'm gonna regret this statement. We're already pushing 130 entries in less than 24 hours.

TheCougar

WKR
@TheCougar

Not being a dick but I'm rooting to see what that Exodus does to the radio flyer. Got nuts shooting with metal that close to your target. My hats tipped!

I gotta drag the target out from my shed every time I shoot. The Martix is pretty heavy and awkward to drag around. I did use the wrong pin last week and put two field points right through the wagon. The Spartans held up well though! Guaranteed the exodus will punch through that wagon no problem.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh. Just don't feel like I can wait to join this. Tough conditions for sure.View attachment 169849

I shot in 19mph+ before the challenge opened and did ok. Remember there is no penalty for letting down and drawing again. The site picture don’t lie as long as you can resist the urge to punch the trigger. There’s no penalty for missing the vital. Just an education opportunity.

Not sure how mobile you are right now, but remember in winds like that most game is not going to be out of the cover or the coulees. Can you find a little protective place to shoot? That would be more realistic hunting scenario anyways. Probably not gonna get too many shots on the flat field with the wind howling.

Last year I moved my target up on the foothill a few miles away here so I could shoot some angle for one of the days.

Fatcamp

WKR
I shot in 19mph+ before the challenge opened and did ok. Remember there is no penalty for letting down and drawing again. The site picture don’t lie as long as you can resist the urge to punch the trigger. There’s no penalty for missing the vital. Just an education opportunity.

Not sure how mobile you are right now, but remember in winds like that most game is not going to be out of the cover or the coulees. Can you find a little protective place to shoot? That would be more realistic hunting scenario anyways. Probably not gonna get too many shots on the flat field with the wind howling.

Last year I moved my target up on the foothill a few miles away here so I could shoot some angle for one of the days.

With the wind out of the north my range protects me from the wind so my bow will be stable. I will have to hold off but after practicing in the wind for the last few days I feel good about that part.

Now that you mention it though I could shoot it in the morning at my rifle range. The berm there runs E-W. Probably won't be 60 people join tonight.