2014 Arizona Semi-Live Hunt with Bowuntr and RosinBag

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty slow evening. 3 does and one big fork horn.

This area was red hot last year, but some things changed.

It appears they cut some new roads right through this area and have lots for sale. So it may have pushed the deer out if this particular area.

We are heading back to our firs area tomorrow to check on all the does and see if any new bucks show up.

This was our last view if the day....

4anebeba.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 4 starting...cold and clear. Heading back to our first days area for bucks and javelina...

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today was pretty good for finding animals. Couple groups of javelina and about a dozen bucks. Nothing to loose an arrow at. We tried to get up on some javelina, but the heard us coming, and didn't come back when called.

Tomorrow we are heading to a new area, a wilderness area, but reportedly game rich. We will see.

We have ate like kings though. Elk steaks tonight, moose burgers last night and halibut the night before.

Fresh back strap on the menu tomorrow, one of us has to come through....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you better start getting some stalks in just to burn a few calories. Good luck tomorrow

bowuntr

WKR
We saw a 100" Coues buck this morning... he followed a doe over a ridge and out of play. Off to a different area to hunt muleys... Ed F

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last night was a complete bust, not a single animal.

This morning we saw plenty of deer, just no big bucks. We did spot a coues far away on private property with headgear over a 100". We have actually seen 5 really good coues bucks this trip, which is more than usual for this are.

We talked with the local warden this morning who told us that overall deer numbers were down in the area. He said we were hunting one of the better areas for deer numbers. The downside is all the mulie bucks we have seen have been small. The biggest one has been about a 20" 3x3.

We just ate and heading south to another wilderness area to check on deer numbers down there.

SDHNTR

WKR
Bummer, my buds who live just a few miles to the north of you guys have said the same thing about deer numbers. Too many tags. They get hammered with 4 gun seasons!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nate the warden said the same thing...

Tonight we deep south. We are all three in different areas. Ed in coues area, Tom in javelina area and I in mule deer area.

I know not the safest, but I climbed up in a tree over a stock pond. It is so dry out here, I thought I would try it. Yeah, no anything related to safety gear, so if you want to criticize my choice, save it. Second time in my life I have been in a tree hunting.

4asedage.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So as much as I don't think this could work, I just had an old warrior come out of a nearby draw. He was limping and had his main beam broke off at the G2 on one side and his other side had his G2 & G3 left, along with both G1's. He came by the water at about 140 yards, but never came in. I should have brought a grunt call or deer bleet, I would have put him out of his misery.

Shrek

WKR
Go for it Doug. I've been climbing trees to hunt for 35+ years and 95% of it without a harness. Not net will make you more cautious about what you climb but if you're careful the risk isn't insane at all.