20 years ago - Advice to your younger self

Swamp Fox

WKR
*HEAR* your mom and dad, and *LISTEN* to your heart.

That's what I do ...

Your wildest dreams will come true.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Be a western mountain (or Alaska) hunting guide's helper for 1-2 years between high school and college.

WKR
Don't play high school/college sports. The abuse on your body (knees/shoulders) isn't worth it in the long run.
Wisdom. Ain't one in a thousand high schoolers going to play in college, much less pro. And having a parent or coach who amounts to a "has been, used to wuz" pushing them usually just makes things worse.

Some athletic pursuits, when done smartly, can be more suitable for developing kids instead of beating them down. But it's a rare kid that is well suited for the big three: football, basketball, or baseball.

Not to say the big three can't develop many positive character traits. Just saying any positive character traits developed by the big three can also be developed by chores, hunting, marksmanship, 4H, church group, Boy Scouts, etc.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Funny a few have mentioned sports. I wish I would have never wrestled in grade/high school. I have so many problems now that I can directly attribute to that sport. All the fingers I dislocated are arthritic as hell and it is often quite uncomfortable. A number of other issues as well.