20” 7mm Rem Mag, suppressed????

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, good to know. I typically like to hand load Berber hybrids, but I’ve been shooting factory hornady precision hunter 162 gr eld-x out of this gun and they’ve shot well enough that I have had no reason to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh that's right, you said that on the first page.

I'm debating putting my redsnake bottom metal on so i can use a magazine for Michigan opening day/week on Nov 15th, then I started reading that action bolt torque can screw with the harmonics/accuracy.....I'm really getting down to the wire here, lol

Right now my hand loads are too long for the factory mag. so I can single feed. I've never fired 2 shots at the same deer, so I should be good. Decisions, decisions.

OP
landoncooley
Oh that's right, you said that on the first page.

I'm debating putting my redsnake bottom metal on so i can use a magazine for Michigan opening day/week on Nov 15th, then I started reading that action bolt torque can screw with the harmonics/accuracy.....I'm really getting down to the wire here, lol

Right now my hand loads are too long for the factory mag. so I can single feed. I've never fired 2 shots at the same deer, so I should be good. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah most handloads seem to be too long for the factory mag. I went with a .30 cal mag to solve that issue. It is a little big for 7 RM, but it totally works and solves the problem for sure. Best of luck!

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah most handloads seem to be too long for the factory mag. I went with a .30 cal mag to solve that issue. It is a little big for 7 RM, but it totally works and solves the problem for sure. Best of luck!

Ugh. I modified the stock to accept the bottom metal, got my accurate mag 3.715" 300wm mag, it goes into the bottom metal but the mag release/holding nub won't engage the magazine. Did you have to do anything to the magazine to get it to stay?

OP
landoncooley
Ugh. I modified the stock to accept the bottom metal, got my accurate mag 3.715" 300wm mag, it goes into the bottom metal but the mag release/holding nub won't engage the magazine. Did you have to do anything to the magazine to get it to stay?

So I have that same mag and my red snake bottom metal accepts it just fine. No abnormal modifications done.

To revive this old thread, Christensen is now making the 7RM FFT Mesa in a 20inch barrel. I’m extremely interested in this for the wife. We’ve been trying to balance energy vs. weight vs. recoil for a while, and this rifle suppressed may be the ticket.

Her current set up is Mesa in 6.5 PRC. It’s a great shooter, and it’s been extremely lethal on deer and hogs, but I’m a little concerned with its effectiveness on Elk (we haven’t had a willing participant to test it). I’ve seen quite a few people take elk with the caliber, just not quite sure its has the energy required to be a dedicated elk gun.

She is looking for a lighter rifle, so we are interested in the FFT, just trying to decide the caliber.

BTW, the Christensen is her choice (she looked at pretty much everything), she likes it, it fits her, so we really aren’t looking at any other brands.

Last edited:

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
To revive this old thread, Christensen is now making the 7RM FFT Mesa in a 20inch barrel. I’m extremely interested in this for the wife. We’ve been trying to balance energy vs. weight vs. recoil for a while, and this rifle suppressed may be the ticket.

Her current set up is Mesa in 6.5 PRC. It’s a great shooter, and it’s been extremely lethal on deer and hogs, but I’m a little concerned with its effectiveness on Elk (we haven’t had a willing participant to test it). I’ve seen quite a few people take elk with the caliber, just not quite sure its has the energy required to be a dedicated elk gun.

She is looking for a lighter rifle, so we are interested in the FFT, just trying to decide the caliber.

BTW, the Christensen is her choice (she looked at pretty much everything), she likes it, it fits her, so we really aren’t looking at any other brands.
Their site lists the 7RM as a 22", maybe they also make a 20"

1645564252472.png

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a Tikka t3x 7rsaum with 18" proof CF barrel, with 59gr IMR4831 i was at 2840fps,using a 150gr Bulldozer 2 from Badlands Precision The IMR load data said at 59.3 they had 3022fps. So i'm probably 160-180fps slower with 6" shorter barrel. This is very close to the 25fps per inch reduction I've heard many times online.

Thought i'd share cuz it was a similar build.

Last edited:
I just built a Tikka t3x 7rsaum with 18" proof CF barrel, with 59gr IMR4831 i was at 2840fps. The IMR load data said at 59.3 they had 3022fps. So i'm probably 160-180fps slower with 6" shorter barrel. This is very close to the 25fps per inch reduction I've heard many times online.

Thought i'd share cuz it was a similar build.
What grain bullet?

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
reviving an old thread here but hope it can help someone looking to do the same.

I cut down my 7mm rem mag tikka t3 to 20" and put a banish 30 suppressor on it (7in configuration)

I was able to chrono it this weekend with a garmin xero. Hornady 162 eld x average was 2765 fps and barnes 139 averaged 3111 fps. This was at approx 5500 ft in elevation.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I was able to chrono it this weekend with a garmin xero. Hornady 162 eld x average was 2765 fps and barnes 139 averaged 3111 fps. This was at approx 5500 ft in elevation.
Thanks for this. Just chopped mine last week to 20"
Tagging in to follow up here with my velocity info when I get to it.

brockel

WKR
reviving an old thread here but hope it can help someone looking to do the same.

I cut down my 7mm rem mag tikka t3 to 20" and put a banish 30 suppressor on it (7in configuration)

Handloads or factory?