20” 7mm Rem Mag, suppressed????

I've already decided to chop my 7mm-08 t3x down to 18" and I think that'll get me out to 250-300 yards on deer and black bear, and potentially elk in that range if it's a good broadside opportunity. This will most likely be the gun that the TBAC Ultra 7 rides on most.

So maybe I keep the 7mm RM at 24" for longer range shots and an elk gun and suffer the length if I want to use a suppressor? Thoughts? WWRD?

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Winchester Model 70 in 7Mag that I chopped to 20". Its averaging 2900fps with Remington Corelokt 150s through a DeadAir Sandman-S suppressor

ID_Matt

WKR
I've already decided to chop my 7mm-08 t3x down to 18" and I think that'll get me out to 250-300 yards on deer and black bear, and potentially elk in that range if it's a good broadside opportunity. This will most likely be the gun that the TBAC Ultra 7 rides on most.

So maybe I keep the 7mm RM at 24" for longer range shots and an elk gun and suffer the length if I want to use a suppressor? Thoughts? WWRD?
Just had this almost identical conversation with my buddy. In your situation I think you chop the 7-08 like you said and keep the RM longer and just deal with it when you need to. I imagine you will always reach for the shorter/lighter 7-08 but if you need the extra horsepower when you draw a bull tag or if you know you won't be hiking much, you can take the RM and suffer the extra length.

Ipersonally think the 160/165 bullet out a a 21" barrel with Suppressor would be a sweet spot. at least for me. If I am going to shoot a heavier bullet I am going .30 cal, Ymmv.

OP
landoncooley
People say "what's the point in having a magnum if you have a short barrel", but the reality is its cheaper to cut and thread a barrel than it is to buy a new rifle.....not to mention you may have a bunch of memories with that magnum rifle, and want to make more, in a different configuration.

Yeah I can’t say I would have chose a 7RM if I was starting from scratch, but being that I already had the gun I figured, why not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
landoncooley
I have the same gun, can you post photos of it cut down?

There are all kinds of articles about velocity lost per inch with 308 and 6.5 CM but I don't see anything for 7mm RM. Anyone have any data?

Yup I went through all of the research and couldn’t find much on 7RM. I almost got cold feet when I was at the gun smith to get the barrel chopped, but I figured I’d just go for it and by a new barrel if all else fails.

OP
landoncooley

All I can say is that I’ve got a 20” 7RM and it shoots lights out all the way to 1000 yards. No doubt it was designed to be a 500 yd gun, but frankly it’s performs the same as when it was a 24” barrel.

OP
landoncooley
I'm thinking of trying this myself. Take my 24" tikka 7RM and get magnetospeed data on my best load (just bought a v3), chop 2" off and retest velocity, chop 2" more off and test, then chop 1.5" more to 18.5", if its decent, take it to a smith and get barrel cut threaded at 18" and roll with it with my Ultra 7 can. I already have a cold steel saw.

OR, I might chop to 18.5" and if its decent, get a 18"proof barrel, new stock and do a build using the tikka action and trigger, or if at 18.5" it can't achieve my speed needs of 2850-2900, then buy a 20" proof, new stock and build with tikka action/trigger.

I always have trouble re-finding this article, but its a good one.

I know at 20" he wasn't getting 2900fps, but he also using factory ammo.
View attachment 344830

If I can get a stable load and decent groups and still 2850-2900fps, it'll be adequate out to 500-600 yards as far as ft/lbs of energy and velocity over 2000fps to get good bullet expansion.

No I have never shot an animal or target out to 500-600, but I want to someday.

I think most of these threads (and i've started a few myself) are people wanting to have their cake and eat it too VERSUS people who either wish they had the guts/$$$ to try it themselves, or people who have just heard/read that others say short magnums are bad/loud/dumb, ect.

I think very few people have actually done it.

Who knows I might spend an extra $1,000 or cut down a perfectly fine rifle and get some "i told you so's" but at least i'll know for sure. I'll be sure to post my results, good/bad/indifferent. I just got my ultra7 out of jail, so after hunting, i'm going to start the build/cut/whatever.

Yeah ultimately just said screw it and went for it. I walked through all the same thoughts that your having and all I can say is that it turned out great and I’m pleasantly surprised! I was for sure anticipating a slower bullet speed, but in literally getting 3025 fps.

OP
landoncooley
Dang, that must be a hot factory load! Either that, or i'm a wuss and need to up my powder charge and learn more about "pressure signs".

I was very surprised to see these speeds. I was for sure faster with the same bullet prior to chopping the barrel, but ultimately I just didn’t see much fall off when I chopped it. Literally getting 3025 fps

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
is that a mesa altitude stock, red snake aics lower metal? did you get a 3 or 5 round mag? Did you go with Accurate mag?

I went with red snake aics lower metal and 3 round accurate mag, thought of the altitude stock, maybe a different mcmillan with an adjustable cheek piece. But that adds a bit of weight I think., could just build it up with rubber I think.

Here's an article where someone cut a 7mm RM barrel down from 28" to 30" in 1" increments. All things considered it didn't suffer too much.

Based on this article I'm not as married to a 26" tube as I previously was in my custom 7mm RM desires. I may do something oddball like the 23" the author mentions at the end.

OP
landoncooley
is that a mesa altitude stock, red snake aics lower metal? did you get a 3 or 5 round mag? Did you go with Accurate mag?

I went with red snake aics lower metal and 3 round accurate mag, thought of the altitude stock, maybe a different mcmillan with an adjustable cheek piece. But that adds a bit of weight I think., could just build it up with rubber I think.

Yes to all your questions haha. I have both the 3 and 5 round accurate mags. Yeah I predominantly backpack hunt so I to go with the lighter options.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Yes to all your questions haha. I have both the 3 and 5 round accurate mags. Yeah I predominantly backpack hunt so I to go with the lighter options.

Ha! How do you like the mag release? Is the cheek rest on the Mesa tall enough, or will you add something else?

My buddy's dad still has a wad of something electrical taped to his 300wsm from an African hunt where the PH insisted he add it.

OP
landoncooley
Ha! How do you like the mag release? Is the cheek rest on the Mesa tall enough, or will you add something else?

My buddy's dad still has a wad of something electrical taped to his 300wsm from an African hunt where the PH insisted he add it.

I’m totally happy with the bottom metal and overall mag set up. The cheek piece is perfect for me. I was worried it might be slightly low, but with the right rings it’s perfect.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I’m totally happy with the bottom metal and overall mag set up. The cheek piece is perfect for me. I was worried it might be slightly low, but with the right rings it’s perfect.

Awesome, I didn't like the extra metal that stuck below the stock on the mountain tactical, so I went with red snake too.

Do you hand load? What bullet is your favorite in your setup?

OP
landoncooley
Awesome, I didn't like the extra metal that stuck below the stock on the mountain tactical, so I went with red snake too.

Do you hand load? What bullet is your favorite in your setup?

Gotcha, good to know. I typically like to hand load Berber hybrids, but I’ve been shooting factory hornady precision hunter 162 gr eld-x out of this gun and they’ve shot well enough that I have had no reason to change.