$1500 Budget - Which Gun - Which Caliber?

gelton

WKR
Just like the title says. Firearm will be used primarily for backpack elk hunting so weight is an issue. Already own a 30.06 so looking for something with a little more gusto for longer shots on elk. With a budget of $1500.

My first choice is a gun that I have been looking at for a long time - Weatherby Backcountry in 300 win mag. $1400/6.75lbs. Can anyone change my mind? Suggestions? Opinions?

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Weird....when I saw your post thats the first rifle I thought of. You can pick that thing up at sportsmans for about 1100.00. I have a model 70 extreme weather s.s., it is an excellent mountain rifle also. It doesnt weight you down and is very handy. Can be got for around a grand. Mine is in a 300wsm, but they sell em in several elk whopping calibers.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
If you are worried about rifle weight, then you should probably look more at the short magnums. Plenty of gusto in the cartridge, lighter rifle.

Last edited:
OP
G

gelton

WKR
I reload and like the idea of staying with a .308 bullet because of availability, both over the counter and for reloading. With supplies as tight as they are now, I would have to imagine that finding quality bullets in .35 whelen would be quite the task.

As for the short magnums, granted most of them are a step up from the .06, I still dont know how effective of an elk round they would be past 7-800 yards. Not that I am into long range hunting as a hobby, I just know that I have the skill if needed and am looking for a caliber that could do it safely if the opportunity presented itself. I have been on the "wrong" side of the argument before regarding the capabilities of certain cartridges and want a caliber that could do it without question.

That being said, the answers so far are intriguing. I figured I would hear people recommending 7 mag or .338, Tikka (which I like) or Kimber (like that too). Also good call highcountry, the Weatherby can be found for about 1,000 which saves money for ammo and/or optics.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing is for sure...there is no shortage of options, especially with a decent budget. A guy can really rack his brain deciding what he wants, which is probably why most of us have more guns than underwear ;)

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
Given the requirements and location, I would strongly lean toward the M70 Extreme Weather .264.

On another note, the ol '06 is giving up nothing but a little drop at 700yd if you aren't into the real hurdles of long range shooting...

littlebuf

Banned
buy a tikka super light, put a brake on it and spend more on optics.

Kimber Montana in .300 wsm or .325 wsm with a VXIII 3.5-10. Here's my .300 wsm with the same scope. Unmodified, and a tack driving machine. 7.18 lbs with scope caps. I can't remember exactly what I have into it, but it seems like right there at what you're looking to spend.
y5uvejad.jpg

husky390

WKR

I second the motion. I was thinking of buying one until I picked up my Kimber Montana in a trade. Personally, I would want to be able to remove the brake while hunting.

Snyd

WKR
I reload and like the idea of staying with a .308 bullet because of availability, both over the counter and for reloading. With supplies as tight as they are now, I would have to imagine that finding quality bullets in .35 whelen would be quite the task.

As for the short magnums, granted most of them are a step up from the .06, I still dont know how effective of an elk round they would be past 7-800 yards. Not that I am into long range hunting as a hobby, I just know that I have the skill if needed and am looking for a caliber that could do it safely if the opportunity presented itself. I have been on the "wrong" side of the argument before regarding the capabilities of certain cartridges and want a caliber that could do it without question.

That being said, the answers so far are intriguing. I figured I would hear people recommending 7 mag or .338, Tikka (which I like) or Kimber (like that too). Also good call highcountry, the Weatherby can be found for about 1,000 which saves money for ammo and/or optics.

I'll chime in for the Kimber in 325wsm for a couple reasons. One, I have one and know how it shoots and have packed it many many miles in tough conditions, and 2, your statement about Elk at long range. The 325wsm has dang near the same external ballistics as the original Rem 8mm Magnum. 200gr at 2950 fps, 220 at 2800. That's right in there with the Big 8. Granted, with modern powders and that huge case the Big 8 can now surpass that but the 325wsm does that in a 7lb, short action package with a 23inch barrel, which is what makes the wsm's shine, the handy rifles you can get them in. No need for an 11lb, 26inch barrel, long action, belted magnum. Sierra has a 220gr Gameking that they refer to as their long range bullet. It was specially made for the Big 8. It has a thicker jacket than other GK's in other calibers and is a long boat tail. I've got a load for that bullet that's 2800fps and shoots sub moa at 100yds. I killed a griz with it. My go to load is the 200gr Accubond at 2950. I've killed several sheep and moose with it and have recovered a couple bullets. They do a great job. Stid who posts here and lives down the road from me has worked up even faster loads for his 325 wsm.

On a side note, when the ammo shortages hit there is a big stack of 325wsm ammo left when everything esle is gone :D I've seen it here locally anyways.

Mine weighs 7lbs 3ozs with 3 200gr rnds in the mag, Leupold 2.5-8x36, nylon sling and nylon ammo holder on the stock. Rifle is bone stock other than I had it Mag-Na-Ported which totally tamed the muzzle flip of the light barrel. My one and only go-to rifle. I've got a thing for pistols :D

Enjoy your hunt for a rilfe!

my .02

200gr Accubond load
325_200ab.jpg

220gr Gameking load. I've since bumped it up to 2800 with same accuracy.

325_02.jpg

200gr AB after breaking spine of bull moose at 315yds. Weighs 140gr, retained 70% of it's weight like Nosler says it will.

200AB.jpg

200gr AB after busting ribs and far shoulder on bull moose at 365 yds. 150gr retained weight.

file_zpsc0d847b1.jpg

220gr I shot griz with were all pass throughs at 165yds. Busted up spine, shoulders. I didn't find any fragments either.

I second the tikka t3 super light 300 win mag. from sportsmans. 7 lbs with a 3.5-10x 44mm zeiss scope. It Will also put 5 rounds of factory ammo in one hole at 100 yards.

Snyd

WKR
Just like the title says. Firearm will be used primarily for backpack elk hunting so weight is an issue. Already own a 30.06 so looking for something with a little more gusto for longer shots on elk. With a budget of $1500.

My first choice is a gun that I have been looking at for a long time - Weatherby Backcountry in 300 win mag. $1400/6.75lbs. Can anyone change my mind? Suggestions? Opinions?

One more thing. I bought the Kimber to replace my old wood/blue Ruger 30-06 for the same reason as you, a little more wallop in a lighter gun. I swear the Kimber 325 has less felt recoil. It has more muzzle flip but the Kevlar composite stock and pachmeyer pad make all the difference. I can shoot a box of shells at the range and not have a sore shoulder.

OP
G

gelton

WKR

I like the tikka my dad has one and it shoots great. The one thing holding me back is that the #1 upgrade to a tikka seems to be dropping into a bell & carlson stock. The weatherby already comes in one. So if I were to get a tikka and if I decided to replace the stock then I have a tikka that is more expensive than the weatherby that comes from the factory that way.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
I'll chime in for the Kimber in 325wsm for a couple reasons. One, I have one and know how it shoots and have packed it many many miles in tough conditions, and 2, your statement about Elk at long range. The 325wsm has dang near the same external ballistics as the original Rem 8mm Magnum. 200gr at 2950 fps, 220 at 2800. That's right in there with the Big 8. Granted, with modern powders and that huge case the Big 8 can now surpass that but the 325wsm does that in a 7lb, short action package with a 23inch barrel, which is what makes the wsm's shine, the handy rifles you can get them in. No need for an 11lb, 26inch barrel, long action, belted magnum. Sierra has a 220gr Gameking that they refer to as their long range bullet. It was specially made for the Big 8. It has a thicker jacket than other GK's in other calibers and is a long boat tail. I've got a load for that bullet that's 2800fps and shoots sub moa at 100yds. I killed a griz with it. My go to load is the 200gr Accubond at 2950. I've killed several sheep and moose with it and have recovered a couple bullets. They do a great job. Stid who posts here and lives down the road from me has worked up even faster loads for his 325 wsm.

On a side note, when the ammo shortages hit there is a big stack of 325wsm ammo left when everything esle is gone :D I've seen it here locally anyways.

Mine weighs 7lbs 3ozs with 3 200gr rnds in the mag, Leupold 2.5-8x36, nylon sling and nylon ammo holder on the stock. Rifle is bone stock other than I had it Mag-Na-Ported which totally tamed the muzzle flip of the light barrel. My one and only go-to rifle. I've got a thing for pistols :D

Enjoy your hunt for a rilfe!

my .02

200gr Accubond load
325_200ab.jpg

220gr Gameking load. I've since bumped it up to 2800 with same accuracy.

325_02.jpg

200gr AB after breaking spine of bull moose at 315yds. Weighs 140gr, retained 70% of it's weight like Nosler says it will.

200AB.jpg

200gr AB after busting ribs and far shoulder on bull moose at 365 yds. 150gr retained weight.

file_zpsc0d847b1.jpg

220gr I shot griz with were all pass throughs at 165yds. Busted up spine, shoulders. I didn't find any fragments either.

Impressive. I have to claim ignorance on this particular caliber and most short mags, I haven't really studied them but the results above speak for themselves. Looks like I need to hit the books and look a little closer.

hunting1

WKR
A Kimber Montana in 30-06, 300WSM, or 300WM would be great. Not sure if you have ever killed and elk but even a 308 will do the job. The Tikkas are nice but I can't get past the plastic and would prefer the Sako Finlight which is a better rifle and still in your price range.

Dammlm

FNG
True. I put a Manners stock on my tikka. Solid as a rock. I still haven't found a rifle with an action as smooth as the Tiika's. Plus with the top of the breech being solid metal and not open, that action has almost no flex. Smooth baby smooth.

AZ Vince

WKR
I would look at the short mags for sure.
I already have a .338 Win Mag so I got that covered and went with a 6.5 x 284. Great bullets with less recoil.

Snyd

WKR
Impressive. I have to claim ignorance on this particular caliber and most short mags, I haven't really studied them but the results above speak for themselves. Looks like I need to hit the books and look a little closer.

The "325" is actually a .323 8mm. The short mags allow for a short action rifle which means handy and light. Go hold some rifles and see what "fits". The new Winchesters were'nt on the market when I bought mine. I never could warm up to the magazine concept in the Tikkas. I held lots of rifles but when I picked up the Kimber I knew I was holding my rifle. Lots of good ones out there and if you look hard enough you'll find someone that has had issues with all of them. My Kimber has been trouble free.

A 30 cal or .323 cal 180-220gr at 2800-3000fps will kill anything you want to hunt in north america out to any range you can realistically place a good shot.