$1500 Budget - Which Gun - Which Caliber?

nuhu5a5u.jpg
vyqyryde.jpg

Proofs in the pudding. Same scopes with the same scope caps on both rifles. The only thing that's different is the Tikka has the stock rings and Leupold rings on the Kimber. Oh, and I painted the stock of the Tikka, but I don't think that added much in the way of weight.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Thanks for all of the informative replies fellas. I stuck with my original choice - Weatherby backcountry in 300 win mag. I'm hard headed and have been looking at that gun for a long time, like the fact that it comes in a B&C stock that is pillar and glass bedded (front lug). Also like the 300 win mag for a great all around caliber.

Learned alot from this thread, especially about short mags, those things have impressive numbers. I figure if I lived in Alaska where grizzlies and brown bear look at you like your a piece of lunch meat I would probably be sporting a 325 short magnum, the numbers speak for themselves, but since I dont, I think the 300 win mag will be perfect.

Ordered it up yesterday. Will post pics after shes had her scope mounted and appropriate fondling.

Tikka T3 in your favorite caliber - move left over for really good glass. I like the 300 or 338 Win Mag. Mine Tikka shoots as well as I can. My 2 cents.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For what you want to do the Tikka 300 WM would be just about perfect. A bit more oomph than your 30-06 and you still can use your .308 cal bullets. Relatively lightweight. In the Tikka there is no real advantage for going to a WSM over a WM due to the action build so might as well go with the long action IMO.

That said if you really want to mix it up and be different you can get a Browning TI in 300 WSM as its the lightest mass produced WSM rifle by a half pound or more and if you watch gun broker you should be able to get them for what you wanna spend ($1500). I've got 2 off of gunbroker and never paid more than $1200 for either one.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Wow that Browning Ti looks really sweet. You guys are late though, I ordered the Weatherby backcountry yesterday for $1180 (no one had it in stock locally). With this being my first Magnum I might appreciate the extra half a pound in weight to help ever so slightly manage recoil. As for the Tikka my Dad already owns one that I will some day inherit and while I dont mind walking in his footprints I dont wanna stand in his shadow. :p Its kind of like he rides a Harley and I ride a BMW adventure bike, maybe its just me. Plus a little variety in the family arsenal is generally a good thing.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
Well I finally got her dressed up right, at least for now anyway. Currently have a Leupold VX 3 3.5-10x40mm with the CDS turret system that I am sure I will upgrade at some point but in no big rush at the moment.

Originally had ordered the weatherby lightweight two piece mounts made by Talley and lightweight they were - screws sucked and quality was questionable so I immediately replaced them with a DNZ one piece mount that seems to be really solid. This, of course before finding out the TPS bases and rings from my Remington 700 would have fit just fine - lesson learned - stay away from the Weatherby lightweight mounts and so far the DNZ looks fairly stout and are lighter than the TPS so no harm no foul.

Really happy with the Rifle so far but I have only put 40 rounds through it during the break in, cant wait to get back to the range this weekend. Also, the recoil isn't bad at all, I dont see the need for a muzzlebreak on this setup.

This is the old Remington 700 in 30.06 that I had been using with a different slightly lighter scope (the Leupy used to be on this one)

Here is the Weatherby backcountry with scope coming in at 7lbs 11 ounces - saving more than a 1lb.

Bughalli

WKR
I just placed an order for a Remington CDL SF in 300wsm. Studied a lot of cartridges and found it hard to choose. I thought this was a good choice relative to the other calibers I have and hunting style. Plus it's something I can build upon and continue to customize over time.

OP
G

gelton

WKR
nice rifle, how does it shoot so far?

Shoots great so far but I only have 40 rds of factory ammo through it. Still waiting on a shipment for reloading dies and just have shot enough to get a zero. Also not completely sold on the trigger so I adjusted it to a lighter pull, will give it another try. Really like timmey triggers though so a replacement might be in my future. Heading back out tomorrow and will start working on groups. Based on what I have seen so far the less than 1 inch MOA that they guarantee will not be an issue.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
tneil1980