10mm non hard cast bear defense ammo.

OP
C
If the bullet happens to be a bad fit for the barrel then it will still lead even if it's coated.

MattB

WKR
Most folks who use pistols for bear protection want maximum penetration. 10MM isn't a particularly deep penetrator to begin with, so using an expanding bullet only further limits penetration.

The link below is for an article from Buffalo Bore's FAQ which sheds some light on the notion of hard cast bullets lead fouling polygonal barrels.

Spinman75

FNG
Most folks who use pistols for bear protection want maximum penetration. 10MM isn't a particularly deep penetrator to begin with, so using an expanding bullet only further limits penetration.

The link below is for an article from Buffalo Bore's FAQ which sheds some light on the notion of hard cast bullets lead fouling polygonal barrels.

I thought this was interesting.

they consider failure vs success by if someone got chewed on after shots were fired? With no mention of placement or bullet used/performance?

MattB

WKR
I thought this was interesting.

That hits on the point that 9MM penetrates well, and also that humans are odd creatures. The author indicates that 9mm worked in 4 out of 4 case and then formulated an argument as to why he wouldn't use that caliber, but rather one he highlighted as failing - probably because it has "magnum" in the name.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know how effective this will be, but I alternate 200gr Underwood coated hard cast and 180gr Sig FMJ (still pretty hot stuff for factory ammo) in my magazines, with the thinking that each jacketed round that follows a hard cast round will scour the barrel of any lead.

Spinman75

FNG
they consider failure vs success by if someone got chewed on after shots were fired? With no mention of placement or bullet used/perform
they consider failure vs success by if someone got chewed on after shots were fired? With no mention of placement or bullet used/performance?
is that not the point, not to get chewed on? If you make a bad shot, with a poorly constructed bullet and the bear doesn’t eat you, is that not a success?

is that not the point, not to get chewed on? If you make a bad shot, with a poorly constructed bullet and the bear doesn’t eat you, is that not a success?
That is absolutely the point.
My point was the article left out many important pieces of information.

LoggerDan

WKR
I have used the 10mm in a DLP situation with a black bear at a logging camp. 260 something lbs boar. 2 shots, 8 paces, additional shot after bear was down. 220 gr. BB. Did not open the chest cavity upon skinning. 2 exits, first exit second shot , head. Second exit was last shot exited neck.

OP
C

Yeah I'd read this before I ordered their ammo and it SMEARED lead down the barrel. Hence why I'm going to have to use something copper or at least jacketed. I'm ordering a new barrel and reloading supplies are on the way but I won't have that ready by the time my trip starts in May.

MattB

WKR
Yeah I'd read this before I ordered their ammo and it SMEARED lead down the barrel. Hence why I'm going to have to use something copper or at least jacketed. I'm ordering a new barrel and reloading supplies are on the way but I won't have that ready by the time my trip starts in May.
It is interesting that no one else seems to have that problem with BB excessively leading barrels.

OP
C
It is interesting that no one else seems to have that problem with BB excessively leading barrels.
Could be a bullet fitment issue. Either way I'd want to put a new barrel in it before shooting lead. If it is an oversize bore then coated bullets won't work either.