106 TAP for hunting?

Juan_ID

WKR
I sorted a thousand with an bto es of .690-.697, took me 2.5hrs.

View attachment 665096
I picked up a bunch the 106 atips(also DOD contract ammo) and sorted all 2k, and it was a pain in the ass, there were 3 definitive lots on them. I'll prob sort these on a rainy day and break em down into two groups.

By doing this what do you guys achieve or hope to achieve? Do you then spend time testing loads for each different “lot”? I don’t have a ton of reloading experience but I’ve never sorted bullets and have always been able to achieve around 1” (most of the time better) for 10 rounds at 100 yards.

eoperator

WKR
These bullets are 2nds from press setup or many different lots all mixed together. Sorting them by length will find groups similar to each other.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
By doing this what do you guys achieve or hope to achieve? Do you then spend time testing loads for each different “lot”? I don’t have a ton of reloading experience but I’ve never sorted bullets and have always been able to achieve around 1” (most of the time better) for 10 rounds at 100 yards.
It takes consistent bullets to shoot good groups. A lot of it you can see or measure without expensive equipment. The theory is that variation in the bearing surface could change the pressure curve, but mostly the shape of the bullet not being consistent will change the bc. By sorting the hope is to make them more consistent. Across a lot of experience, Berger tends to be more consistent than Hornady, except maybe the a tips. They tend to shoot tighter groups as well. The things you can't measure are things like voids in the core and changes in the density of the core in pockets and also jacket thickness uniformity and concentricity.

The best 10+ round groups I have shot have been with Berger 108 BT Target and the very first lots of 115 DTAC RBT. I never sorted those bullets. I just took them out of the box and loaded them.

The reason I started sorting bullets is because I had an accuracy problem with a 243AI barrel. It was a load I had used across several barrels and it wasn't shooting. I sorted the bullets and the group sizes went back to normal. It was with Hornady 105 bthp. I have also had some bad lots of 105 amax back in the day. Back then, I thought it was just me being a bad shot. Looking back it was sure weird how I could load 115 dtacs and shoot tight groups and the group size tripled with amax.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
IMG_6190.jpeg

Trued out at 960 yards with 5 rounds at 3,310fps MV, and those five went into around 12”

Note: there was no load work up done. Just went up 1gr from the 115gr load and seated to correct depth. Higher MV is possible. Just needed them to shoot decent and true to kill elk.

Juan_ID

WKR
These bullets are 2nds from press setup or many different lots all mixed together. Sorting them by length will find groups similar to each other.
I know what the bullets are and understand what you’re doing, just curious what you achieve by doing that or what follows after you spend hours sorting them by length?

@Formidilosus so would this accuracy be acceptable for YOU or would you try to find something better with this bullet?

@khuber84 im curious to see what else you come up with in the GT

I hope to get some more testing out of my set up soon to see if I will keep tinkering or set them aside for an upcoming 6mm build.

eoperator

WKR
just curious what you achieve by doing that or what follows after you spend hours sorting them by length?
Sorting them by length cleaned up the "flyers" noticeably for me. I bought 15k of them so I could easily sort enough of the same length to torch a barrel if wanted/needed.

My OCD has a hard time accepting "good enough" 1.2" 20 shot groups with these 106's when I know bergers will group nearly 1/2 that size. Terminal performance might make these 106's worth it, especially with faster cartridges.

With the same velocity and environment 4dof shows these things run ~equal to 110g atips and 115dtac.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
With the same velocity and environment 4dof shows these things run ~equal to 110g atips and 115dtac.
That requires a g7 of 310-312, that's where the 110s and my current lots of 115 dtacs run. 112mb required 308g7. All waterlined at 1000, 1200y. I don't believe a poly tipped 106 will hang, heck the 106atip don't hang. If this bullet truly flies with the same drop as what you compared it to, Hornady created the highest bc to weight class 6mm bullet known to man, and it would not be discontinued.......let alone being sold as seconds.

Last edited:

Juan_ID

WKR
Sorting them by length cleaned up the "flyers" noticeably for me. I bought 15k of them so I could easily sort enough of the same length to torch a barrel if wanted/needed.

My OCD has a hard time accepting "good enough" 1.2" 20 shot groups with these 106's when I know bergers will group nearly 1/2 that size. Terminal performance might make these 106's worth it, especially with faster cartridges.

So by sorting them you think you’ll be able to achieve berger “like” accuracy out of a bullet that is less than a quarter of the price? If not then do you just accept they don’t shoot good enough and use them for barrel break in or sell them and move on?

eoperator

WKR
That requires a g7 of 310-312, that's where the 110s and my current lots of 115 dtacs run. 112mb required 308g7. All waterlined at 1000, 1200y. I don't believe a poly tipped 106 will hang, heck the 106atip don't hang. If this bullet truly flies with the same drop as what you compared it to, Hornady created the highest bc to weight class 6mm bullet known to man, and it would not be discontinued.......let alone being sold as seconds.
Yeah I agree 4dof numbers seem a bit optimistic.

They are not discontinued.

So by sorting them you think you’ll be able to achieve berger “like” accuracy out of a bullet that is less than a quarter of the price? If not then do you just accept they don’t shoot good enough and use them for barrel break in or sell them and move on?
Sorting them will show the best they are capable of. 1.5" "scattered" 10rnd groups seemed about average for unsorted, not acceptable to me. 1.2" 20rnd groups are average with sorted bullets, that is something I could live with.

Benchrest

FNG
i wouldve bet money that my latest Krieger Dasher barrel was a 1:7.5twist. Nope! 1:8 on the barrel and receipt. oops, oh well. ive got 1k that ill post for sale somewhere... i dont think i will mess with them.