1/2 ton 6cyl diesel and midsize diesel experiences

I have the 6ft bed.. got the decked system with chevys 1500 accessories deal when i bought a new truck. So got it for free..

Kasey

280Ackley

WKR
I have 2018 Canyon 2.8 SLT w/ 6’ bed. I got it with 58k and just turned over 140k last week. Only thing I’ve done to it is oil changes and brakes. I put tall leer canopy on to match and a 2” lift in the front to level it out. Last summer on our trip to the coast fully loaded we got 31.3 mpg! I commute 150 miles a day with a pretty significant grade and still average 25-26 mpg at 72 mph. It’s done great in snow, mud and ice with KO2’s. I am still going back and forth between the Decked system and just building my own. Currently I just set up a cot in the back.

I have 2018 Canyon 2.8 SLT w/ 6’ bed. I got it with 58k and just turned over 140k last week. Only thing I’ve done to it is oil changes and brakes. I put tall leer canopy on to match and a 2” lift in the front to level it out. Last summer on our trip to the coast fully loaded we got 31.3 mpg! I commute 150 miles a day with a pretty significant grade and still average 25-26 mpg at 72 mph. It’s done great in snow, mud and ice with KO2’s. I am still going back and forth between the Decked system and just building my own. Currently I just set up a cot in the back.
Do the decked!!!!

Ram/Jeep discontinued theirs
Ford Discontinued theirs
Toyota never brought theirs here
VW discontinued theirs (they sold a ton)
Nissan discontinued theirs

Right now GM seems to be the only one selling a baby diesel and it seems impressive. However, there is usually hype around newer diesels by the fan boys, many times they fall short. We will know a lot more 5+ years down the road.
Toyota diesels are sought after for reliability and longevity. It’s an emissions deal

z987k

WKR
The one we drove was gas 6cyl, I can't turn up a 6' diesel. That would be attractive. BUT the 1500 gets better mileage, so back to this.

This
Plus this

And I can road hunt on the two lanes for several more years I think.

Or this thing if I knew someone in Hillsboro OR
I'm looking for one of those as well. Or the colorado. Impossible to find up here.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR

I have a cap pack in my Ram instead of decked.

What lift did you put on it? Do you know which model topper you have? Id like to see what it actually weighs to compare to the ones I like.

I found a local LB diesel canyon 2018 "all terrain" with 127k for $18k, that seems like a lot of miles in my mind but I haven't looked into common issues with that drivetrain. Then that one I liked above in OR that seems overpriced.

If we were to do this today, I think a LB Canyon/Colorado diesel fits what I want.

I have the 2022 LM2 with 47k miles and very happy so far. I believe the LZ0 came out in '23. I had a few engine light issues at first under warranty. I can't recall the issues but they seemed to go away after a couple of trips to the dealer. I routinely get 24 mpg around town and on the highway, when i stay under 75. I put a 3-4" SST Ready Lift and larger A/T's on mine for clearance and to level it out. I also have a topper, which automatically adds 300-400ish pounds in the back end before I start adding gear. My only want at this point is a set of air bags before hunting season to level it out when loaded. It rides perfect unloaded.

View attachment 724616
Are your mileage numbers corrected for the tire size?
I'm considering an AT4 on 33s.

BA-IV

FNG
Glad I found this thread. I’m fixing to pull the trigger on a 1/2 ton and really eyeing the diesel 1/2 tons hard!

Make sure if you end up buying a new one, you look into supplier pricing if your company you work for is larger as well as A $1000.00 costco discount on New GMC Sierra's

BA-IV

FNG
I sure appreciate the advice. I hate truck shopping worse than anything. I always feel like I’m getting shafted one way or another! There really needs to be a class on the ins and outs of it!

LFC911

WKR
I sure appreciate the advice. I hate truck shopping worse than anything. I always feel like I’m getting shafted one way or another! There really needs to be a class on the ins and outs of it!
What kind of hunter are you? Buying a truck is almost as fun as elk/deer hunting! Embrace the suck and pit those dealers against one another. Make the best deal on the last day of the month. They don't give a crap about you, so don't give a crap about them. Use them like their using you, don't get in a hurry and savor the deal.

I have no experience with diesel trucks so maybe a dumb question. Do you have to worry about hunting in cold temps with the 3.0? I always see trucks with the optional engine block heater (at least I think that’s right) and wonder if anyone has gotten stuck in the back country because of that.

Afhunter1

WKR
I don't even think of plugging in unless it is below zero for extended period of time. I live in PA and have never plugged in a truck. It gets cold here but usually not for extended durations.

I don't even think of plugging in unless it is below zero for extended period of time. I live in PA and have never plugged in a truck. It gets cold here but usually not for extended durations.
Thanks for the answer. We’ve certainly been out in sub zero temps before in CO but that’s mostly during ski season as opposed to hunting season in my experience. I’m in a 2024 Tundra right now and the truck hasn’t had any issues so not looking to make a move yet but am interested in the 3.0 for sure.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with diesel trucks so maybe a dumb question. Do you have to worry about hunting in cold temps with the 3.0? I always see trucks with the optional engine block heater (at least I think that’s right) and wonder if anyone has gotten stuck in the back country because of that.
Living in VT I only plugged my 3.0 in when it got well below zero and wasn't going to be driving it much and it always started fine. Modern diesels are way more tolerant to cold temps and any starting issues caused by cold. I'm more worried about making sure I had quality fuel, additives to keep it from gelling up and a spare fuel filter.

Btaylor

WKR
What kind of hunter are you? Buying a truck is almost as fun as elk/deer hunting! Embrace the suck and pit those dealers against one another. Make the best deal on the last day of the month. They don't give a crap about you, so don't give a crap about them. Use them like their using you, don't get in a hurry and savor the deal.
But we get to shoot the deer and elk.