1/2 ton 6cyl diesel and midsize diesel experiences

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Hard shifting and slipping mainly.
Valve bodies, torque converters, and problems they can't find, so they swap entire transmissions.
Do you remember if that is with the first gen, up to 2022ish, before the oil pump belt change, only? Or the 2nd Gen ones as well?

Any knowledge on the 2.7l 4cyl?

This is all very new to me! My current truck is a 2005 Ram1500 5.7hemi with 210k miles and I got Tboned a month ago. It runs still, but my guess is it will be totaled. As of last week, I intended to keep it for a hunt truck and get something for the rest of life like a mid size SUV Canyon/Colorado, but then saw the 3.0 diesel gets better mileage. @KickinNDishin is also very set on letting the current truck go, so I think I have found a dealership with the three gas motors and the small diesel in stock to try.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
To be fair the 6.0 and 6.4 were both train wrecks just about from day one. Anyone who trusted ford enough to buy a 6.4 after the 6.0 has had a lobotomy. It’s a shame because the 08-10 fords looked great. At the end of the day expecting 500000 out of any vehicle 8 times out of 10 is not going to happen. Hell I have 140 on my 6.6 dmax and the rust is starting to bother me. The only way to get close to 500000 miles mostly trouble free in a 3/4 ton or bigger diesel pickup today is to get away from the cp4 pump if applicable and delete the emissions.

I’ve owned this one for 70000 miles. So far my expenses look like this.

Thermostat 400
Fuel regulator (upgraded to protect cp4 failure not needed per se nothing was physically broke) 700
tcm module around 1000
Ball joints 300 or so

That’s in 5 years now of ownership. I blew the thermostats out towing equipment back from camp pounding on it. I was overweight so I will take the blame for that. I’ve had great luck with both of my regular cab Chevy trucks.
I have a 21 duramax and was wondering about having it deleted….what’s the benefits to longevity having it deleted?

LFC911

WKR
I have the 2022 LM2 with 47k miles and very happy so far. I believe the LZ0 came out in '23. I had a few engine light issues at first under warranty. I can't recall the issues but they seemed to go away after a couple of trips to the dealer. I routinely get 24 mpg around town and on the highway, when i stay under 75. I put a 3-4" SST Ready Lift and larger A/T's on mine for clearance and to level it out. I also have a topper, which automatically adds 300-400ish pounds in the back end before I start adding gear. My only want at this point is a set of air bags before hunting season to level it out when loaded. It rides perfect unloaded.

IMG_1479.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
Do you remember if that is with the first gen, up to 2022ish, before the oil pump belt change, only? Or the 2nd Gen ones as well?

Any knowledge on the 2.7l 4cyl?

This is all very new to me! My current truck is a 2005 Ram1500 5.7hemi with 210k miles and I got Tboned a month ago. It runs still, but my guess is it will be totaled. As of last week, I intended to keep it for a hunt truck and get something for the rest of life like a mid size SUV Canyon/Colorado, but then saw the 3.0 diesel gets better mileage. @KickinNDishin is also very set on letting the current truck go, so I think I have found a dealership with the three gas motors and the small diesel in try.
The new model may be ok, as I don't hear as many complaints lately.
I don't know anything about the 4 cylinders.
I've been happy with 3/4 ton Duramax trucks.

KenLee

WKR
I have the 2022 LM2 with 47k miles and very happy so far. I believe the LZ0 came out in '23. I had a few engine light issues at first under warranty. I can't recall the issues but they seemed to go away after a couple of trips to the dealer. I routinely get 24 mpg around town and on the highway, when i stay under 75. I put a 3-4" SST Ready Lift and larger A/T's on mine for clearance and to level it out. I also have a topper, which automatically adds 300-400ish pounds in the back end before I start adding gear. My only want at this point is a set of air bags before hunting season to level it out when loaded. It rides perfect unloaded.

View attachment 724616
Sharp truck. I'd have to tint the front windows.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have the 2022 LM2 with 47k miles and very happy so far. I believe the LZ0 came out in '23. I
View attachment 724616
Is this your first diesel? Extra maintenance costs have been expressed to me as a big draw back; oil changes and DEF. I haven't gotten far enough into the oil change part as to if it's frequency, or a more expensive type, or just the importance vs gas. When I math out 20mpg gas and 25mpg diesel plus $.01/mile DEf ot still seems to come out more efficient for the latter. So, I need to do more research and ask around about extra diesel maintenance costs.

What did yours cost before taxes etc?

KenLee

WKR
I had a truck with tinted windows in front and had to roll them down when glassing for deer in a field. At dawn and dusk on a cold day it was a PITA, so i said to myself i was never going to do that again.
If I'm looking long from the truck, the rifle is propped up out the window anyway. That's pulled off the road onto private land where it's legal though.

LFC911

WKR
Is this your first diesel? Extra maintenance costs have been expressed to me as a big draw back; oil changes and DEF. I haven't gotten far enough into the oil change part as to if it's frequency, or a more expensive type, or just the importance vs gas. When I math out 20mpg gas and 25mpg diesel plus $.01/mile DEf ot still seems to come out more efficient for the latter. So, I need to do more research and ask around about extra diesel maintenance costs.

Not my first diesel but the first one with DEF and first baby max. I had a 3/4-ton with a v-8 duramax probably 10+ years ago and sold it to my nephew for a farm truck and it is still running strong. I change my own oil every 5k miles and rotate my tires. 7 quarts of Dexos-D Oil and a filter costs me $68 through RockAuto.com. I've changed my fuel filter once and it cost $26. DEF isn't that big of a deal to me. I pick up a jug at Costco whenever i need it and probably pay $12-15 for it. When i get down to 1/2 a tank i add it and that fills it back up. The MSRP on mine, which is what I paid in April of '22 was $59,875. Remember at that time, dealers were getting $5-10k over list and i found this one at list price.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I change my own oil every 5k miles and rotate my tires. 7 quarts of Dexos-D Oil and a filter costs me $68 through RockAuto.com. I've changed my fuel filter once and it cost $26. DEF isn't that big of a deal to me. I pick up a jug at Costco whenever i need it and probably pay $12-15 for it.

Those numbers are close to what I mathed out, thanks. From my current ram, I am getting 14-15mpg and consuming a $9qt of oil about every 1kmiles.

I assume you ended up with their tiered warranty since it sounded bad like you purchased new?

I loved my 3rd gen eco diesel Rebel. It towed like a champ, and got great mileage doing it. It also had a Green Diesel tune. Never had an issue at all over 90k miles. Had to sell it due to job change. Miss it!!

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 21 duramax and was wondering about having it deleted….what’s the benefits to longevity having it deleted?
No more def or dpf. No more sending hot exaughst gasses back through the engine. Better mileage. Better sound. It “un chokes” the engine. Usually more power. Be careful tho it’s not legal and it can be hard to find someone to do it now from all the regulations. Luckily pa is diesel emission exempt and no one’s given me a hard time with it. It will void any warranty you have left. Keep that in mind

As long as its done properly it will increase the longevity of the engine assuming you don’t throw some rediculous power tune into it

Last edited:

LFC911

WKR
Those numbers are close to what I mathed out, thanks. From my current ram, I am getting 14-15mpg and consuming a $9qt of oil about every 1kmiles.

I assume you ended up with their tiered warranty since it sounded bad like you purchased new?
I don't believe mine is using any oil but I really haven't checked that. I just got the factory 36k mile warranty. I never purchase extended warranties for anything and will use the money i save to pay for any major repairs.

17Hunter

FNG
I have a 2020 Colorado, long box with the 2.7 diesel. Bought it brand new with 12 miles October 1, 2019. It now has 56,000 and I have not had 1 issue. Its been a great truck! No issues with the trans shifting hard or slipping. A tank of DEF will go 4K, give or take a couple hundred miles, depending how you are driving it. Fuel filters 30K or so. Oil changes are more, whether diy or at a shop. Mine gets 29-31 highway, 23-24 city. It does not like the winter blend diesel and I seem to loose a couple mpg, not sure what the deal is there. I only tow a light 16 foot aluminum boat 6-8 times a summer and it does just fine. I know they are rated to 7,700 towing and they do have an engine brake.

Do not get a diesel thinking you are going to be saving money because of the better mpg, that is a myth. Everything diesel is more expensive than gas, Fact.

My daily driver is a 2015 Tacoma and there isnt a gas station that doesnt love a Tacoma, but its still cheaper than my diesel.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider

The oil for the 3.0 duramax is a bit more expensive. Admittedly I do not know the capacity for those.

On my 6.6 I run rotella t5 (you can’t run that in the 3.0). I buy 2.5 gallons of t5 on sale for 45 bucks at tsc. The filter for my truck is 10 bucks (ac delco). I do it myself in the drive way. Total cost is 55-60 bucks twice a year. Def does cost money but I wouldn’t expect putting that in more than every 4 tanks of fuel or so. Keep in mind when my buddy fills up he has about 700 miles to empty

big44a4

WKR
I got a buddy with a 2021 3.0 Duramax he has has 150k miles with nothing but oil changes hasn’t changed the belt yet.

I just picked one up 2 weeks ago already got 3k miles on it. Averaging 26 in city and combined highway have gotten 29-34.8 mpg on trips of at least 20 miles one way. I drive 60k miles a year for work so time will tell pretty quick. Had 200k miles on a 5.7 tundra prior with zero issues but big upgrade in MPG for the amount I drive as well as work pushed me to the 3.0.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Extra maintenance costs have been expressed to me as a big draw back; oil changes and DEF.
Ya, I've never really understood that......especially if you're going with a small diesel. My 7.3L Powerstroke takes 15qts of oil, and I still don't think it's that much different for costs. I use Mobil Delvac oil and pay around $3/qt, compared to the Mobil 1 I use in all our gassers at closer to $5/qt. So even with 15qts that's $45 versus $25 (or $35 in my Tundra). $10 for an oil filter (similar to gas), $26 for a fuel filter every 10-15k, and that's it as far as "diesel specific" maintenance. That would be less difference for a smaller engine, but with the new ones you do have the DEF costs.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have a 2020 Colorado, long box with the 2.7 diesel. Bought it brand new with 12 miles October 1, 2019. It now has 56,000 and I have not had 1 issue. Its been a great truck!
The kid and I drove a 6' bed canyon yesterday, but V6, and a 3.0diesel Sierra. They were the closest to the shoulder Dr that had both on lot. The 6' beds are hard to find here and I can't seem to turn up a 6' + diesel nearby, but it attracts me.

The kid developed his two thumbs rating system, and even though he fell asleep in the Canyon, he gave it one neutral thumb because "it was more bumpy".
PXL_20240614_204010167.jpgPXL_20240614_212020104.jpg